The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Magic books & Videos for beginners (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Another enthusiastic vote for The Amateur Magician's Handbook, by Henry Hay. Written over 70 years ago, it is a treasure.
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
If there is any magician who speaks Spanish, I recommend Vicente Canuto's fundamental Cartomagia to start with, since in each lesson he explains a technique and games applying that same technique with techniques from previous topics.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Another wonderful book to get started with is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross.

I am a decent-at-best coin guy mostly, but this is a marvelous all-around magic book, simply written and that has remarkable drawings of all the moves. And while it is more of a general closeup magic book, covering cards, cups & balls, ropes, etc., it also has a nice coin magic section, and a great bibliography pointing the way to other wonderful magic books from all over the art.

For some reason, the book is not often spoken of and even forgotten largely, but it shouldn't be, as it is quite complete as to beginner closeup magic. I still do some things from the book and continue to refer to it time and again. Excitingly, it also is a larger size book and comes across like a workbook of magic. It truly walks you through the beginning and even into some intermediate routines and effects. It's remarkably well laid out and written, and introduces you to all sorts of fine magic. Smile There's even a 2nd big book as to it, but start at the beginning with this one first and you'll be so happy you did. Smile

Myself and so many others have learned a lot from Tarr's magical offerings, and I'm sure you will too. He was quite an interesting fellow from the NYC area. What a fun, gem of a book! Go find it and unlock its many treasures. Smile

*Highly Recommended!
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On May 22, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
...Another wonderful book to get started with is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross. There's even a 2nd big book as to it, but start at the beginning with this one first and you'll be so happy you did. Smile

Myself and so many others have learned a lot from Tarr's magical offerings, and I'm sure you will too. He was quite an interesting fellow from the NYC area. What a fun, gem of a book! Go find it and unlock its many treasures. Smile

*Highly Recommended!

There's also another large formatted book illustrated by Frank Daniel. Written by Bill Tarr, too, this one is titled 101 Easy to Learn Classic Magic Tricks. The fine illustrations compare favorably to the ones in the other Bill Tarr books.

Another worth investing your efforts to locate is titled The Now You See It, Now You Don't Notebook, also by Bill Tarr.

There's a lifetime of learning good magic between the covers of these wonderful books!

Julie
OjackMagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of OjackMagic
I learned with Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr. The first pages before it get's into the sleights are some of the best beginner instruction I ever received.
"Homer Simpson does not work in a nuclear power plant. Homer Simpson is just an actor." - Penn Jillette
Performing monkey
View Profile
New user
Wales
2 Posts

Profile of Performing monkey
I have read several pages of this thread but not the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been answered.

I have the Card Collage series of books and Royal Road to Card Magic and they are great. I would recommend them to anybody, new or experienced. I am currently focusing my efforts on learning sleight of hand and mastering card handling techniques and am not that fussed about learning new tricks. I want the building blocks so that I can make my own. Although there is a lot of great material in these books, they are limited by the fact that they are books. I feel that if I had videos to go along with the books I would progress much quicker.

My question is, if you were going to get a video, or series of videos, to compliment the sleight and card handling techniques taught in Card Collage, what would it be? Money is very tight right now and I can't afford to drop money on a load of different DVDs. I need 1 or 2 really good ones.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
HashirKaan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of HashirKaan
My favourite 13 Steps To Mentalism
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
I just mentioned this on another post but I highly recommend Eugene Burger's Exploring Magical Presentations video.
It gives plenty of advice on getting more out of your effects just by altering the way you frame them. Eugene Burger was a master of this.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
MaxArtifice
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of MaxArtifice
Quote:
On May 22, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
Another wonderful book to get started with is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross.

*Highly Recommended!

I agree and would add that there are at least three more offerings by Bill Tarr. The first is the follow-up to "Now You See It, Now You Don't" and that is "The Second Now You See It, Now You Don't" which was published two years after the first (Vintage 1978). The second one is "The Now You See It, Now You Don't Notebook" (Kaufmann & Co. 1998). Finally, there is "101 Easy To Learn Classic Magic Tricks" (Vintage 1977).
MaxArtifice
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of MaxArtifice
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2023, Performing monkey wrote:
I have read several pages of this thread but not the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been answered.

I have the Card Collage series of books and Royal Road to Card Magic and they are great. I would recommend them to anybody, new or experienced. I am currently focusing my efforts on learning sleight of hand and mastering card handling techniques and am not that fussed about learning new tricks. I want the building blocks so that I can make my own. Although there is a lot of great material in these books, they are limited by the fact that they are books. I feel that if I had videos to go along with the books I would progress much quicker.

My question is, if you were going to get a video, or series of videos, to compliment the sleight and card handling techniques taught in Card Collage, what would it be? Money is very tight right now and I can't afford to drop money on a load of different DVDs. I need 1 or 2 really good ones.

I wasn't aware that Giobbi had a video series so that's good to know. There are several Royal Road DVD sets. I have the one by Rudy Hunter which is pretty good. Even though I haven't seen it, though, it's pretty hard to go wrong with Giobbi.