The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Whip Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm playing around with various routines with my Frank Starsini leather chop cup and in the process of doing so I'm doing a bit of research on different dice tricks with cups and without cups.

I've become interested in what I'm reading about Whip Cups.
Interestingly, Scarne doens't even mention a "whip cup" in his big book on dice.

Can anybody reccomend any reading material on whip cups?
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Scarne does mention the whip cup. Look at pages 285-289.
gump
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gump
Darwin Ortiz also has some info on the Whip Cup in his book "Gambling Scams".
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Scarne mentions the Slick Cup, which I believe is different from the Whip Cup, the Whip Cup having some extra string type bits inside the cup. (I could be wrong though, I'm working from limited information).

Thanks for the tip on the Ortiz book.
gump
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gump
Quote:
On 2006-11-25 23:52, silverking wrote:
Scarne mentions the Slick Cup, which I believe is different from the Whip Cup...
They're basically the same thing. Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
What's the difference, with "basically" being the operative word?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.juggling.org/jw/87/3/tips.html

There is a bit there about dice cups. Not being into dice at all, I don't if it helps or not.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
Check out the dice video by Steve Forte. He demonstrates a whip cup.

Steve
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
"Whip Cup" is a cup with the interior lined with what is called whip cord. The dice are "first flop" and the edges "trip" over the rough cord lining, then you have to learn the KNACK of the shake (and sound) and the way to slide the dice out of the cup without disturbing their positions.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
puffy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of puffy
Not all dice used in a whip cup are "first flops" or "dead settlers", which are fairly obvious because of how heavy they are. Using whipped dice does take a knack to learn, though.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks guys, that's a great bunch of information.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I've been led to believe (we'll see when it gets here) that Ed Marlo's "Shoot The Works" contains descriptions of how the cup is made, and how it's used.

(wandering off topic a bit) Figures it would be Marlo......was there anything with cards or dice that guy couldn't do when he was at the top of his game?!!

I found a brand new copy of "Revolutionary Card Technique" on our favorite auction site a week or so ago that made it's way thorugh the postal system to me..... RCT, "The Cardician", and a few of the Marlo DVD's I've picked up, I'm finding that Marlo's depth of knowledge was HUGE.

I just completed "The Vernon Touch" and in at least two dozen references to Marlo that Vernon makes, every single one of them displays a glowing admiration for Ed Marlo. Vernon really wished Marlo could have spent far more time on the West Coast than he did.

Anyway.....whip cup in Shoot the Works. We'll see if this fills out my lack of knowledge on this interesting device.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I just heard that Porper has a new dice stacking cup. I do not know if it can be used as a whip cup. But, the inside has to be smooth if you are going to do real dice stacking.

It may be a problem that the new porper cup is gimmicked....I did not look into it...But, at least it is a lead...

Good luck and enjoy !
Long Island,

New York
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-12-02 14:41, silverking wrote:
Figures it would be Marlo......was there anything with cards or dice that guy couldn't do when he was at the top of his game?!!

I'm finding that Marlo's depth of knowledge was HUGE.

Right. Next contestant, Mr. Silverking from parts unknown. Special subject - the bleeding obvious. LOL!

Just kidding Silverking, I too have found myself marveling at all the things Marlo knew. Also unusual was the fact that, by all accounts, he could actually DO everything that he wrote about. And do it beautifully.

I don't want to burst your bubble (and I may be wrong, I don't have the book right here) but I don't think whip cups are discussed in "Shoot the Works". I think a few controlled shots from a dice box are covered. But not the whip, as I recall.

Vandy

P.S. As you probably know Frank Starsini sells a whip cup and dice set; http://www.theambitiouscard.com/category......essories

I bet Puffy would know where to get one as well.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
gump
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gump
Stevens Magic used to sell a whip cup that came with an instructional video. I say "used to" beacause I can no longer find it listed in their online catalog, but here is the description of it from Google's cache:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:x0R2......d%3D6238
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hey Vandy....are you saying I was stating the obvious or something?!! Smile Smile

Frank has listed his whip cups as "sold-out".
My goal is to make one, and I'd feel guilty reverse-engineering one of Franks. I'd rather start from scratch and make a few mistakes, in the end being able to call it my own.

I hope there's something in "Shoot the Works" about the cups....near the end of the book?
If not, I've been duped!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 14:07, silverking wrote:

I hope there's something in "Shoot the Works" about the cups....near the end of the book?
If not, I've been duped!

Dang it! I was going to look last night and completely forgot. I don't remember anything about whip cup or dice in the booklet. Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong.

One thing I know for sure. Marlo got a lot of help on the book by a guy named Tony Platt from Milwaukee. He gives the address of the Tavern that Tony owned on Oakland Ave. If you ever get to Milwaukee, don't bother looking for the bar. It's now a pet store.
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
287 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I believe Dr X from Duluth makes the cups for Stevens. You can probably get his nujmber from Stevens if they are not listed on the Steven's site. Otherwise PM me and I might have an old telephone number for him.

Steve
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 14:31, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-04 14:07, silverking wrote:

If not, I've been duped!

Dang it! I was going to look last night and completely forgot. I don't remember anything about whip cup or dice in the booklet. Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong.

One thing I know for sure. Marlo got a lot of help on the book by a guy named Tony Platt from Milwaukee. He gives the address of the Tavern that Tony owned on Oakland Ave. If you ever get to Milwaukee, don't bother looking for the bar. It's now a pet store.

I don't recall there being anything on "special" cups, if that's what you mean, in that pamphlet of Marlo's - I'll check tonight from home.
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Thanks T-Jo. I looked last night, I sdidn't see anything about whip cups. Sorry Silverking.