The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Daryl --- Hole card & Whole Card (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Barry Sokolsky:

Look at Angel Killer by Gastón Armocida, the first demo on this YouTube collection of his effects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pVAyXdtyg

It doesn't work the way you describe, but perhaps fooled you into thinking that's how it was done.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Daryl recently re-released The (W)hole Thing.

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=200350
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
159 Posts

Profile of swamy
Nice to see it getting re-released.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
No kidding! I was on the look out for this trick back in 2006. I got it in 2007 and held on to it until now. Wow time flies.

I am still yet to perform it. Guess I will be buying the DVD. : )

Best

Shawn
Shawn.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I like the quality of the original cards better than the new release. The new cards are a little smaller and you need to be careful about doing this on a stage with lighting as the new ones are a bit translucent under the strong lights.
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
I like watching when Daryl does the effect himself, it's totally Daryl!
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2009-07-25 08:17, RC4MAG wrote:
I like the quality of the original cards better than the new release. The new cards are a little smaller and you need to be careful about doing this on a stage with lighting as the new ones are a bit translucent under the strong lights.

I agree. I like the old stock better.
Shawn.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of rowland
I have heard that some people have glued two sets together which will stop people being able to see through them in strong light and will probably make them easier to use. Daryl sells the cards separately without the DVD which makes them a bit cheaper for the second set.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Recently purchased these, and am very pleased with the quality. Now to sit down and learn the darn thing.

In the teaching video he shows you the routine performed and explained from a mirror perspective. Very helpful.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Daryl is smooth as silk!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
philvantee
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
4 Posts

Profile of philvantee
I ordered Daryl's set of the jumbo cards with DVD and spent quite a while learning his version of the routine.
Only then did I begin to break it down and simplify it.
His patter speaks to how "magic" should not be "confusion", but then he proceeds to be extremely confusing in the subsequent presentation.
After quite a few performances at the side tables at the Magic Castle, I had magician friends coming up to me to warn me that the 'hidden' aspects were showing very plainly through the flimsy card stock.
I did not care to purchase an additional set, just to glue them together to make them more usable, so I took the time to build my own set out of art supply matte board.
This was a bit challenging, but the end result was a set that is opaque in even the strongest back light conditions and I could not be more pleased.
It also gave me the opportunity to redesign the effect from a color standpoint. The new cards are black with bright yellow spots that really 'pop' from a great distance.
I performed the effect for 21 shows in the Parlour of Prestidigitation last week and was tickled to death with the reaction.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 15:45, philvantee wrote:
I ordered Daryl's set of the jumbo cards with DVD and spent quite a while learning his version of the routine.
Only then did I begin to break it down and simplify it.
His patter speaks to how "magic" should not be "confusion", but then he proceeds to be extremely confusing in the subsequent presentation.

That's exactly what I thought too. I suppose that's supposed to be the joke; he says it shouldn't be confusing and then it is.

I find that too confusing.

In some of the phases it is difficult to know what's supposed to have happened. I'm not sure all of the reveals are magical because I don't think the audience can remember what they have or haven't supposedly seen.

I think I'll do the same as you and learn the lot then simplify it.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I was kind of disappointed when I saw the demo. I had read about the original in the Paul Hallas book and it sounded really fun. But when I saw the demo, I thought it was quite confusing and not very magical at all. There's no real mystery to it. The only real bit of magic is when one of the holes is healed. The rest of the trick reveals different backs which were never shown in the fist place. So where's the magic? I don't know. Maybe with the smaller version you can do some more convincing displays.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
philvantee
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
4 Posts

Profile of philvantee
If anyone is interested, here is a new take on Emmerson & West's The (W)hole Thing, a. k. a., Daryl's (W)hole Card -
https://youtu.be/dalf1QEaUUI
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1024 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Very nice Phil. Great outside of the box thinking!