The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
zappyjingles
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of zappyjingles
G'day,

I downloaded the program first listed. Thanks I have read all and wil take all into cosideration.

Hugs N Giggles
Ace of $pades
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ace of $pades
As long as its legible its good Smile
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
It's not spelling mistakes that annoy me, as most times you understand what is being said. It's when someone mentions a trick and they then say it's in a certain book, but when you check it, it's nowhere to be seen. Is there some program you can download to fix this problem?
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
Spelling seems to be atrocious all over the net. What bugs me is the use of improper grammar and the improper use of certain words -like "myself" which is used almost every way except the proper way as in: "Three of us went to the magic show, John, Mary, and myself"
Kris 62
View Profile
New user
colorado
10 Posts

Profile of Kris 62
I can honestly say I am a horrid speller and my grammar has always been a struggle. My tences (past,present,future) flip back and forth dependeing on where I am in my head. But I can say that the only way I got better was to Practice,Practice,Practice!!The more I write the better I am.

I do use spell check in WORD and in my E-mails but I always try to proof-read my stuff on my own first. If I can fix it before then HEY I learned something new. There are times when poor 'ol spell check just can't keep up.

Certain words, no matter how close you THINK you are to the right spelling, just throw spell check into a tizzy. That is why I have a dictionary and a thesaurus sitting on my desk. So no matter what happenes in all those fancy programs, I can express my thoughts and ideas in words.
Ivan22
View Profile
New user
Gainesville, VA
5 Posts

Profile of Ivan22
If you use Safari on a Mac it will check your posts for you. Misspelled words will have a red bar under them, like in Microsoft Word.

Hope it helps,

Ivan
"The chance of me finding your card is 1 in 52. Who bets that I beat the odds?"
<BR>-ivan
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Communication skills are critical in the presentation of magic from the initial marketing to the actual performance. It is good to see that the obvious is finally gaining more recognition.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Aligator, you spell your name wrong.

I am like a god.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
JohnEBlaze
View Profile
New user
Maitland, FL
66 Posts

Profile of JohnEBlaze
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but Safari has a built in spellcheck (and is now available for Windows) and m-w.com is a great resource for folks that want to get the correct spelling or usage of a word.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Smile If only everyone on the Café would read this topic.

:( If only everyone would go back and read what they have written before they hit the "Submit Reply" button.

There are eleven Grammar Hosts including our venerable supervisor to check the posts of 32,448 members. If you do the math that's approximately one volunteer Grammar Host per every 2,950 members.

We are grateful to those of you who take the time to proofread your posts before sending them through cyberspace.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 15:33, Phil J. wrote:
Not wanting to pour water on an excellent idea.... but...

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Thanks for the laugh. :<)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 08:30, sweetskulls wrote:
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.

Some big ones usually seen are:

seperate instead of separate
preform instead of perform
their instead of there, and vice versa.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Eoas
View Profile
New user
Australia
40 Posts

Profile of Eoas
Quote:
On 2008-01-26 07:09, joseph wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 08:30, sweetskulls wrote:
Does anyone have a particular pet hate spelling mistake?Mine is (rEdiculous) it is rife all over the net.

Some big ones usually seen are:

seperate instead of separate
preform instead of perform
their instead of there, and vice versa.....

I dOn'T lIkE iT wHeN pEoPlE tAlK lIkE tHiS. Ticks me off. I'm glad the ratio of grammer supervisors is 1:1 - makes me feel safe at night. :-D
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
This is great advice to everyone!
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
For what it's worth, I think the users of Magic Café do a MUCH better job at spelling and grammar and just generally writing intelligibly than do the users of some other magic sites I've visited. I am probably unusually irritable when it comes to these matters, but I find myself less irritated when I come to the Café than when I used to look at those other sites. The maturity level, both in actual age and in an intellectual and emotional sense, is higher here, and one result of that is more attention paid to good communication skills. I do understand when a user's first language is something other than English -- that is pretty obvious, I think, and I don't have much difficulty being patient with posts from them. (I could not write in their languages at all!)
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Good advice. Just a quick double-check before posting sounds ggod... er good! Sorry
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
It only takes a second to check your spelling. This is good advice, thanks.
resres
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of resres
I love spell checkers! Believe it or not using a spell checker has
improved my spelling skills a lot! Instead of using the spell checker
to fix my words I use it to see how the word is spelled and then I type
it in myself. Over time my misspelled words have become less and less.
My spelling used to be absolutely horrible, as did my grammar. Although
my grammar skills still need improvement.

As far as spell checkers not knowing if you used the wrong word, all
you have to do is reread what you've wrote and if you type "her" instead
of "here" it will usually be pretty clear. Although I'm sure we all over
look something here and there.

Quote:
dOn'T lIkE iT wHeN pEoPlE tAlK lIkE tHiS. Ticks me off. I'm glad the ratio of grammer supervisors is 1:1 - makes me feel safe at night. :-D

I agree! I can understand when someone makes a spelling mistake, however,
when they write like that it drives me mad. It also bothers me when people
pay no attention to grammar and punctuation at all. When I go to a forum
and see that nobody uses capital letters or punctuation it usually gives
me the impression that they're either a bunch of kids or not very bright.

Have a good day,
res
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I use Firefox, and as soon as I dl'd it, I think I got a Lot of plug-ins. One may have been a spell checker, because whenever I post here, or at penguinmagic it automatically tells me what I need to correct. My spelling IS atrocious though...so if it's not in the spell checker database, I may misspell it. But it really beats my normal spelling. So check out Firefox browser.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 05:41, Mike T wrote:
On the subject of grammar, you could always write the post in a Word document, and then paste it across - it all depends on how much value you place on it.
If you don't give a hoot about all that English 'stuff,' then you probably won't even bother with my first suggestion.
BTW, Jon, if you come across any of my posts, you will probably notice that I use American spellings and terms (if I'm aware of the difference).
Color, favorite, pants, etc.
This is because:
1. It seems like the vast majority of Café goers are Americans.
2. I'm a really thoughtful bloke. Smile

Cheers, Mike

What is funny is, Sometimes I will be typing and find myself using the Anglo version of the spelling. I will use colour, favourite etc. I used to play MMO's with this chick from the other side of the pond, and she would rub off on me.. suddenly after I am done playing for the day, I'd be logging off, because I was knackered. There is one term I sort of would like to see get some cache here... Snogging. I love the sound and most people are like... what the heck?"

Maybe it's a sign of american arrogance but, what is interesting is... the anglo version of words is picked up by the spell checker as needing correction, it offers the american version as the proper spelling... and it was the bloody english that made up the language to begin with.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>