The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Jacob3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jacob3
Why can't you just turn a blind eye..
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2015, Jacob3 wrote:
Why can't you just turn a blind eye..

Most do, and that is the problem. Why is it that everyone is so comfortable looking uneducated and foolish? (Especially when EVERY computer is equipped with the ability to correct your spelling.)

I guess when it comes to this specific conversation though, it doesn't matter what my opinion is. All that matters is, we all have rules to follow on the Café, and if we don't like them, we can leave.
A. Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
105 Posts

Profile of A. Evans
If it wasn't for Google Chrome I would make so many spelling errors. :-D
To bad there isn't a grammar checker though, that would help.
"It's better to have 3 amazing tricks than 10 good ones"
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
I've always been a good speller. Most of my misspellings are because of, not despite of auto-spelling correction.
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Why not add the improper use of grammar if there is so much concern about spelling? Lets nit pick. (sarcasm)
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2006, mrunge wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. Smile

Ohh hey! This helped me a lot too. Thanks!
zachwyman
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of zachwyman
Lol this conversation is a great read!!
ryan_vice
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ryan_vice
Use Grammarly to check Grammar. But, you can't always trust a software.

Trust your instincts Smile
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
I'm so old, I proof read what I write. But my thinking is, if I am not willing to read it; should I really offer it to somebody else to read.

But the old ways are fading out. Such as being five minutes early for appointments.

(Praying I didn't make any mistakes in this post.)
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
o.
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of o.
Before I entered the magic community 5 years ago, I had never come across a group of people that takes so much care and attention to the fine details of correct writing. Before I did not pay much attention, my sms were all in lower case. Not anymore.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
I love that people actually care about this. It IS important. Society is getting lazier: text messaging, farcebook, twātter, oh and phone keyboards that replace the wrong words... all encourage quick writing and little concern over the state of it. We all have a new skill now, that ability to read something full of irrelevant words and know which word they meant to write!
I'm utterly sick of it. All people have to do is read before they send or post.
Of course if it's a genuine difficulty then the suggested software or browsers will help.
I'm on a tablet right now and just had to rewrite and replace about fifteen words the tablet thought were what I wanted to write, how bloody annoying! This isn't progress, keyboards used to work! Even phone keypads were better than these on-screen joke ones.
Grr.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We actually do put some effort into trying to catch spelling mistakes. Are you interested in volunteering to do some grammar checking?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Spelling Mistakes - one should always strive to improve oneself.
I always dreamed of being a scholar, now I are one ...
sorry guys!
Noweli
View Profile
New user
East London, SA
2 Posts

Profile of Noweli
If you are not sure with your spelling I think it's ok to use any helpful apps to fix that

I used Grammarly a lot for page editing this website
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
In today's age, everyone should be using a web browser newer than Internet Explorer, which will have built-in spellcheck or the ability to install an extension that gives you spellcheck. Problem solved. Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You would think but it doesn't necessarily work this way.
gossamer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of gossamer
I was being a tad facetious, I have to admit.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I would happily be a spelling or grammar checkerator, but then I'd get into content... since I'm the only one who has literally no flaws except for who I am and what I think, I'd have to delete almost the whole Internet.

Since I think that's outside the purview of this forum I'll abstain and just impotently complain to myself about the unlliterate monsters who also have... opinions.
I have grown past hating bad splelleling and into hating everyone's ideas.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I'd say that the one I see most often is when people should be typing "too" and type "to". Then come the other ones. Gotta start somewhere.
Fromentum
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Fromentum
Spelling mistakes are a feature aimed at people who like to find and pint them out Smile