The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
I am a French speaker as well as a beginner with magic tricks so it is complicated to write well-built English sentences, especially about close-up ! There are grammatical mistakes even though I use the linguistic tool made by Google !
Italia16
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Italia16
Great topic. Too many people type like they are texting and it gives me a headache trying to "decode" it.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I see you posted this 6 years ago but thanks.
It works great. Just what I needed.
It's better than copying & pasting into an Email program or MS Word.

Ihor

Quote:
On 2006-09-02 16:34, mrunge wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. Smile
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 20:15, Sallymagi wrote:
Is spelling that important? I have dislexia.

To me spelling and grammar are important.
It's an indication of education, literacy, laziness, or a mix of these.
A person who cannot write (or speak) proper English (or his native language) is prone not to be taken seriously.
If you really have dyslexia, I apologize and you are exempt. LOL
Ihor
Ihor
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike
Do your best and forget the rest
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2012-06-01 12:41, TheSphinx wrote:
Ihop,

I agree with you that grammar and spelling are important. But for people like me, English is not my native language so I try to do my best but I will surely make many errors...Can you excuse me in advance?

Mike

It's perfectly understandable.
I was referring to being literate in ones' native language.

Ihor
Ihor
Wayne Hardy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hardy
Thanks for the advice I have to admit even though I have written a few short stories I am a terrible speller and do need to check myself constantly.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I think that people looking at this thread will appreciate this:

"The The Impotence of Proofreading," by TAYLOR MALI

http://youtu.be/OonDPGwAyfQ
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
If you like that video, other ones (not specifically about proofreading) by Taylor Mali you might enjoy:

Like_youknow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNIBV87wV4

What Teachers Make
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
I need to do a better job of making sure my spelling is correct. I do a lot of writing in my job and spelling is very important, especially on the web. Given that, some of my posts from the last week have been horrendous. It’s the typing, bad typing, that gets me. I pledge to slow down and do a better job.
Philip Busk
kirkasbegil
View Profile
New user
israel
8 Posts

Profile of kirkasbegil
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 13:34, Mike T wrote:
In the 'welcome' section, it is requested that users not type posts full of spelling mistakes. Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical), but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference, so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post, I cut and paste it into an email and then, spell-check it. I amend if necessary and then, cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well, so that would be even better, but everyone's got email spell-check. And, hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike

That was great idea thanks
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
If I'm not sure how a word is spelled while
I'm posting.i just type what I think is right
in the google bar and wala it shows me the correct spelling.
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
140 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Autocorrect has become my worst enema.
Joe Momma
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Joe Momma
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 13:34, Mike T wrote:
In the 'welcome' section, it is requested that users not type posts full of spelling mistakes. Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical), but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference, so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post, I cut and paste it into an email and then, spell-check it. I amend if necessary and then, cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well, so that would be even better, but everyone's got email spell-check. And, hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike

OSX spell checks any text anywhere.
coppertilley
View Profile
New user
New York
3 Posts

Profile of coppertilley
Correct spelling does make it much easier to read posts. I use the cut and paste method also (typing my post first into a wordpad program with spellchecker). Not only does it check the spelling, but it gives me a chance to reread what I've written to make sure I'm saying what I intended to say.
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Wow! Day one on the forum and already finding useful information! Mrunge, though the tip for iespell was posted long ago, my thanks for that!

I do have a question for the whole peanut gallery though. I have a terribly bad habit of typing 'slang' from time to time. Plus, I'm Texan. I speak Texan fluently and English only so-so. Will I run into trouble for things such as: fixin' as in 'fixin' to', colloquialisms such as ya'll or y'all and so forth? Any guidance is always appreciated.

~Rogue
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
I didn't know about this little piece of software. It's very useful especially for non English native speaker like me.

Thank you for sharing
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
197 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
One thing I like to do when I'm not sure about some portions of my text is that I type it in quotes on Google (sometimes even within The Magic Café's url).

If I have many results, chances are the text is well written. If not, Google can provide the corrected version of my text.

So it's not 100% accurate but it is one more test to make sure my text is as correct as possible.
WhiskeyPriest
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of WhiskeyPriest
Aaaagh, I'm a horrible speller and this has me so paranoid. Please just code a spelling auto correct to the site, then everyone is happy.

~Whiskey
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Does this all take account of English English & American English (programme/program, tyre/tire, defence/defense, et al) ? Smile
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.