The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
In the 'welcome' section, it is requested that users not type posts full of spelling mistakes. Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical), but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference, so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post, I cut and paste it into an email and then, spell-check it. I amend if necessary and then, cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well, so that would be even better, but everyone's got email spell-check. And, hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. Smile
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Great, the more stuff like this we use, the less deciphering we'll have to do. Smile
I often visit the Café from a friend's computer, but at such a small file size I'm sure he'll let me install it.

Is it possible for Internet Café users to use this?

Also, not everybody uses I.E. (e.g. FireFox), so if anybody out there knows of other utilities, then this is the place to post them.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I believe this little utility file will work on all machines, regardless of what search engine they use. All Café members should be OK.

I suppose one could debate whether it works on a Mac or not. I, personally, don't know since I use a PC, but would be interested in finding out.

Mark.
T Duncan Smith
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of T Duncan Smith
Quote:
Also, not everybody uses I.E. (e.g. FireFox), so if anybody out there knows of other utilities, then this is the place to post them.

For FireFox, I think the standard is set by Spellbound (and the name is apposite): http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/ . I haven't used it, but good things have been said about it. (mrunge:) It's probably not worth debating whether or not a tool for IE works on the Mac - I think the last IE release for the Mac was 4.5, 5 or 6 years ago. The FireFox extension should work on Macs, and Safari has built in spell checking - it can be enabled under the Edit menu.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
The Google tool bar has spell check specifically for this purpose.
It also works for any online form.
If your Google toolbar does not have it, it can easily be added.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
Thanks, Mike. Your tip was great, but it is true, and I know it isn't just lots of people make mistakes, you just have to watch yourself.
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
JonParis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JonParis
Of course, there's always the problem of the ones the spell checker won't catch. ;-)

I notice that this is a PHP powered board, and most of those have spell checking built-in. Perhaps the Café doesn't have enough server horsepower to enable it?

Now, what I'd really like to see is a grammar checker. I often find the misuse of to/too/two and there/their more annoying than spelling mistakes. But then, perhaps that's because I'm a transplanted Brit and long ago gave up any hope of teaching Americans how to spell words like colour anyway. Smile
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
On the subject of grammar, you could always write the post in a Word document, and then paste it across - it all depends on how much value you place on it.
If you don't give a hoot about all that English 'stuff,' then you probably won't even bother with my first suggestion.
BTW, Jon, if you come across any of my posts, you will probably notice that I use American spellings and terms (if I'm aware of the difference).
Color, favorite, pants, etc.
This is because:
1. It seems like the vast majority of Café goers are Americans.
2. I'm a really thoughtful bloke. Smile

Cheers, Mike
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I second the Google Toolbar. It also has many other great features, in addition to the spell check. The best being that it's free and not full of spyware.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
shel
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of shel
A grammar checker wood be nice. Eye love spell checkers though. Their grate four prefect words every thyme. Know more missed aches!

Tea he!
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
LOL Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Mrunge

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the IE spell checker link. It saves me time not having to open up "Word" every time. Smile

JIM
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
When writing, I often keep http://www.dictionary.com open so that I can be sure to spell the words correctly.

Being one that has great admiration and respect for the correct and concise use of any language, I place a lot of value on the words I write hoping others will too.

Spelling, diction, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, organization, and development are important to the communication process, regardless of the language. It is complex. It is complicated. It takes work. It takes practice. It takes knowledge. It takes time. It is not for the weak or lame.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I usually cut and paste to Microsoft Word for spell check.
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check them out.

Dan
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
As a little reminder: Yes sometimes it gets under our collective skin when a person misspells words. Remember, however that you may not really know everything or every reason someone, you probably have/will never meet, does what he does.

As one of the lucky 2 out of 8 in my immediate family who does not suffer from dyslexia, I know there may be more issues than mere laziness.

If someone has trouble, derision is usually not the best method for correction.
I might say the same for most comments about misused phrases, misplaced commas,, misspelled names, etc.

I do not disagree with anyone on this thread (I use google's spell check). I only think we should temper our expectations with reason.

As a side note, I have found a funny sort of tradition on the Internet. When a person decides to correct someone else's mistakes many times he/she/it makes a mistake themselves. In the haste to correct others behavior, we may wish to keep ours above reproach.

(When you see bizarre stuff in my posts it's not 'cause I have dyslexia. I'm just dumb)
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Quote:
On 2006-10-28 16:39, Josh Riel wrote:

...derision is usually not the best method for correction.
....I think we should temper our expectations with reason.
(

:approve: Smile

:)
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Firefox 2.0 has a spelling checker built in.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Quote:
As one of the lucky 2 out of 8 in my immediate family who does not suffer from dyslexia, I know there may be more issues than mere laziness.

Thanks for pointing this out Josh, I'm dyslexic and some days I can't type even simple words. I use the Google toolbar to spell check my typing, but that struggles with some stuff, and If I just don't know how else to spell it, well it gets posted as is and I hope others can understand what I'm trying to say.

Grammar also suffers, not because I don't know how to form sentences it's just that when it is time to write things down my brain has a holiday.

I now believe that the 'spelling rule' is to try and keep the annoying 'txt spk' out of the forum. The overly stylised words may make sense to the author when they wrote it but to most participants they are just meaningless strings of consonants.

I've not had a bad experience here with people flaming me for my spelling or grammar so, in my experience, there is already an air of understanding and consideration.

The spell checker is your friend. And proof reading is too!

p.s. I just spell checked this, I'd got grammar wrong both times and also experience, only little errors, but hopefully I'll remember next time.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Not wanting to pour water on an excellent idea.... but...

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.