The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Spelling Mistakes (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'm always amused by the troll who calls another poster a "looser."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Word
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 15:04, DStachowiak wrote:
Odldy, a reecnt epxemiriment demeonrtsatd taht the barin is cpabale of inrettrepnig the snese of amoltst any wrod in Egnislh if the fsrit and lsat lteetrs are cecrrot

This sounds really cool when you read it out loud. But use a Stephen Hawking automated accent.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
I do it all the time.
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 15:06, Don Becker wrote:
I have various published pieces to my credit, and I still can't spell . . . Always want to put double letters where only a single should be (i.e., usuall). And sometimes I just plain botch it. But then no lesser light than Thomas Jefferson is credited with having said that "it was a *** poor man (sic) who couldn't think of two or three ways to spell a word." The use of and email or word processing program that has spell check is a good idea. Just remember spellcheck doesn't know the difference between too, two, or to. So it can foil you, uh, too.

Most of us can produce a very readable piece by simply taking our time a bit.

(This is my first post! Nice to be here. Just think, Six munce agoe I cond't spel magcician, and now I ARE one!)

Do you mean: "I don't give a *** for a man that can only spell a word one way." If so, it was Mark Twain, not Thomas Jefferson.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
In the late 80's I was part of a forum hosted by 'Ma Bell' on the impact of the "personal use" of computers before PC's were taken seriously. One item of discussion was the new "SpellChecker" available with some software. I predicted that its widespread use would tend to limit useful vocabulary, with a dilution of distinctions of meaning and an increase in message confusion. This notion was laughed down. I hate it when I am a seer.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The 19 century scientists decided to search the rules beneath everything. It was the discovery that our universe is not only infinite in terms of time/space but is also infinitely organized. Then human beings started confusing, to paraphrase the Chinese proverb, the star and the finger of the wise men which points at it. If we need to benchmark things to able to ensure that we are progressing and measure how we do it, the benchmark is not life, it's how fast we evolve that is marking life. We have no other clinical way to tell about life and death than movement: brain and heart. Spelling is not here to freeze a language, killing it, but to observe how it evolves: rules are not an aim, they're a mean; rules are made "for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of the fools". They're points in time to depart from not to get to...
IMHO and I was born only babbling in French: thus maybe I'm totally wrong?!
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 12:05, spcarlson wrote:
Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. _I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

But then I guess all the correct letters have to be there in the first place. ;o)

LOL, speaking of spellcheckers I think I just burned mine out with this post!

Sevten

This is an urban legend that ran through our e-mail inboxes starting roughly September of 2003. There is no evidence that Cambridge University ever did such a study.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Spelling is an important skill, and one many find difficult. Good spellers tend to look straight ahead. Taught by Robert Dilts strategy. They visualize the word as they spell it, then look down to check with their feeling that they got it right.
People who spell poorly usually try to sound out the word.
A phonetic system cannot even spell its own title correctly.
Wun wunders why foenick spelling methuds arr stil tort in skools..

This visual strategy has been taught and used with much success on children that have been labeled as dyslexic. Often these children are more auditory or kinesthetic than other children.

If you know someone who is a great speller ask them to spell something tough and watch their eyes. If they look forward or slightly up they are most likely visualizing the word. Good spelling is a capability.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I decided to post here.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
And Josh, we're darn glad you did.

I've always wanted to post in a sticky. Kind of weird up here.

On topic: I read the word "advice" misspelled nearly every day. And a spell checker will not catch it--no no--because the word people are using, "advise", is spelled correctly.

But WAIT...then it's not a spelling mistake, properly speaking. But it remains a crime against the English language, whatever it should be called.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-04-11 11:51, Hostile18 wrote:

Can I just use this thread to say that every time someone writes about "slight-of-hand" I physically wince.

It does make me wonder how many alleged magicians have actually never read a book about magic. Or been to school.

The one that gets me is "straight jacket," and no spell checker in the world would correct it!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
sweetypie2019
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
2 Posts

Profile of sweetypie2019
My pet peeve is when people mix up their and there. I mean, seriously...is it that difficult to know the difference?
"Live as though heaven is on earth. Work as though you don't need the money. Sing as though no one can hear. Dance as though no one is watching. Love as though you've never been hurt. Dream as though all wishes come true."
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I don't give a monkeys about my spelling. Not on a forum anyway. Being understood is key.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 17:31, Davit Sicseek wrote:
I don't give a monkeys about my spelling. Not on a forum anyway. Being understood is key.

Or grammar, or punctuation, or inserting all the words for the sentence for that matter.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Improper spelling and punctuation is a distraction to the message in the post you are trying to share......it conveys a lazy and imprecise mind.....an exception is the word 'diaorhea'...I've never been able to spell that word and no one should be expected to.....that is the only word one should be able to spell however one wishes.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
My pet peeve is, "Between you and I..."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I was a terrible speller until I became a magic Café grammar host. After becoming a grammar host many members here at the Café made fun of my spelling which helped me learn really quick.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-02-22 20:54, Al Angello wrote:
I was a terrible speller until I became a magic Café Grammar Host. After becoming a grammar host, many members here at the Café made fun of my spelling - which helped me learn really quick!

Corrections have been made above, Mr. Grammar Host. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I always liked the woman in "Are You Being Served" who, if she was very adamant about something would state; "And I am unanimous (?) in this!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax