The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Spelling Mistakes (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Or is it, "Correct, sir."?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
In English, possessive pronouns haven't apostrophes.

True. But what other pronouns are ever contracted orthographically?

The problem, as I see it, is that the spelling rules we learned in school were *both* phonological AND grammatical, and there is orthographical tension between the two.

Grammar, phonology, orthography: these things blend--or fail to blend--too much for people to get all huffed up and persnickety. Yet we do. I do, too.

I myself blame not only the French, but Willm Shakspere.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2006, pradell wrote:
I Did the emoticon I typed in show up in the right place? Are any links properly highlighted? Does it look like it is ready for everyone to see? This is also a good tip for anyone who emails to others: review, spell check, and/or print the email out and look at it before hitting the "send" button.

:magicrabbit:

No the emoticon isn't working... Unless you intended it that way. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2006, Muckey Spleen wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 20:15, TannerJade wrote:
Good advice Smile

Also, I recommend the GOOGLE toolbar, which has a button on it called "Check" and it is a GREAT spell check, that will take the writing write of what you are typing ON the Café, so there is not need for copying and pasting...

Tanner

Of course, as long as what you misspelled is still a word (just the wrong one), spellcheck programs will give it the nod, as demonstrated in the above post. Smile
Nothing beats a careful proofread.

I can do "careful proofread"ing until the cows come home. I will still probably miss my own errors. It's part of my dyslexia. When I'm on my PC I have access to Text Help Read and Write Gold which will read it back to me, allow me to check for homophones and then read it to me again. It's a great tool, it also lets me put a digital coloured filter up on my screen to help with my Irlen syndrome too! It's not a cheap program though. I have a similar app on my iPad ... It's not as easy to use as the PC version.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
bcstoner
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of bcstoner
If you were writing your PhD thesis, I could understand caring about your spelling/punctuation to that degree. But you are posting on an anonymous internet forum with a bunch of strangers you don't know and more than likely will never meet.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." – Mark Twain

"You probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" – Olin Miller

"Why so serious?" - The Joker
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2019, bcstoner wrote:
If you were writing your PhD thesis, I could understand caring about your spelling/punctuation to that degree.

Yeah, but once you're finished, people sorta expect you to be able to use the same care--even for Internet forums.

Or, as I like to say to myself, "Be careful, Jeff. Bill is watching!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
So, now acronyms are no longer typed in all capital letters. Is coke still it?

Ask Siri how to spell "wooster", "chumley" or "fenshaw".

[not for danny]
Through one end of the telescope it's all 1337. Through the other it seems Elizabethan means au courant.
What differance to the runcible abcederian after dialectic went to Russia and rhetoric became an ignoble gas?
[/not for danny]
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

@stone, agreed. Also tensions across geography, time and between institutions.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
So, now acronyms are no longer typed in all capital letters. Is coke still it?

Ask Siri how to spell "wooster", "chumley" or "fenshaw".

[not for danny]
Through one end of the telescope it's all 1337. Through the other it seems Elizabethan means au courant.
What differance to the runcible abcederian after dialectic went to Russia and rhetoric became an ignoble gas?
[/not for danny]

These are often conflated, though. So apart from that, broadly speaking in the modern public mind it constitutes a worldview, shaping belief and even perception, implicitly, that the world is like this. And is often pitted in opposition to religious beliefs, though, of course science (ideally) deals in empirical facts, not values.

Game theory. Is that the theory of woodcock, partridge or guinea fowl? Personal...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

LASER, Laser, or just laser these days?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's the general chronological declension isn't it? That is, if a word lasts that long.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Chronological as in late 20th century. But at the same time we developed 1337.

Today it's i. e. but not eg'd.

We have printed works from five centuries ago.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
LASER, Laser, or just laser these days?

It depends whether it is at the beginning of a sentence or not.
magicalday
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of magicalday
"Laser" is the current accepted and standard spelling for the term, derived from an acronym that stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation." While "LASER" (all capital letters) was initially used to represent the acronym, "laser" (lowercase) has become the most common and widely accepted spelling in modern usage. It's now considered a regular noun rather than an acronym, and as such, it's written in lowercase letters.