The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Spelling Mistakes (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Everybody has a slip up now and again (whether mental or physical) but I recently shared a tip (by PM) with a user who was getting slated for his spelling. My tip seems to have made a difference so I thought I'd share it around.
After typing a post I cut and paste it into an email and then spell check it, amend if necessary and then cut and paste it back. I know there's loads of programs that will check grammar as well so that would be even better but everyone's got email spell check and hey, it's a start.
The best thing is that it takes seconds to do.

Regards to all, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
I do the same thing as Mike T except that I put longer posts into a Microsoft Word document and perform spell check. Also, after posting I always hit the "edit" button and look at the post one more time from the point of view of the reader for spelling and format purposes. Are paragraphs placed properly? Did the emoticon I typed in show up in the right place? Are any links properly highlighted? Does it look like it is ready for everyone to see? This is also a good tip for anyone who emails to others: review, spell check, and/or print the email out and look at it before hitting the "send" button.

:magicrabbit:
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Good advice Smile

Also, I recommend the GOOGLE toolbar, which has a button on it called "Check" and it is a GREAT spell check that will take the writing right off of what you are typing on the Café, so there is no need for copying and pasting.

Tanner
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 20:15, TannerJade wrote:
Good advice Smile

Also, I recommend the GOOGLE toolbar, which has a button on it called "Check" and it is a GREAT spell check, that will take the writing write of what you are typing ON the Café, so there is not need for copying and pasting...

Tanner

Of course, as long as what you misspelled is still a word (just the wrong one), spellcheck programs will give it the nod, as demonstrated in the above post. Smile
Nothing beats a careful proofread.
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
I claim that words were mispelled by the originators and I am just fixing them.
Rich
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
The Great Cartago
View Profile
New user
EUROPE
1 Post

Profile of The Great Cartago
Hi, Mike T. Really I am interested in improve my spelling (among many other things) Please recommend me one of the emails I can use for this purpose.

Would the creator of this wondeful forum be able to include the "Check" option when you post a reply?

Thank you very much.

Cartago.

P.S. I prefer not to instal the Google toolbar althought is not a bad idea.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
PMd you Smile
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
SteveTheMagician
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of SteveTheMagician
Y3s, @l$0 P13@$3 @v0Id3 L33T

(yes, also please avoid leet)

:-D
Don Becker
View Profile
New user
St. Charles, MO (near St. Louis)
2 Posts

Profile of Don Becker
I have various published pieces to my credit, and I still can't spell . . . Always want to put double letters where only a single should be (i.e., usuall). And sometimes I just plain botch it. But then no lesser light than Thomas Jefferson is credited with having said that "it was a *** poor man (sic) who couldn't think of two or three ways to spell a word." The use of and email or word processing program that has spell check is a good idea. Just remember spellcheck doesn't know the difference between too, two, or to. So it can foil you, uh, too.

Most of us can produce a very readable piece by simply taking our time a bit.

(This is my first post! Nice to be here. Just think, Six munce agoe I cond't spel magcician, and now I ARE one!)
"I don't want reality. I want illusion."
-- Blanche DuBois
"A Streetcar Named Desire"
by Tennessee Williams
mimagicman
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
17 Posts

Profile of mimagicman
Quote:
On 2006-11-01 13:54, calamari wrote:
I claim that words were mispelled by the originators and I am just fixing them.
Rich

HA! I love it!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned, but the latest version of Firefox, v. 2.0 , has a spell-checker built in for things like Café post, emails and whatnot.

If you aren't using firefox, you really should be!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Odldy, a reecnt epxemiriment demeonrtsatd taht the barin is cpabale of inrettrepnig the snese of amoltst any wrod in Egnislh if the fsrit and lsat lteetrs are cecrrot
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
I believe that story to be apocrophal, because my brain still has to do some double-quick thinking to understand what is trying to be communicated with the letters all mixed up.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-29 09:23, Carrie Sue wrote:
I believe that story to be apocrophal, because my brain still has to do some double-quick thinking to understand what is trying to be communicated with the letters all mixed up.

Carrie
Really? I was amazed at how clear that sentence was when someone emailed it to me, but it may be that it's just the way some peoples' brains are wired, or it may be like the ability to roll your tounge, possibly hereditary or even a right brain-left brain thing.
Then again, maybe its just a learnable skill, and I may have picked it up somewhere along the way
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The e-mail that many of us got about the alleged Cambridge university experiments in language may or may not be apocryphal. Cambridge University denied its validity a while back, but now the University of Edinburgh may be working on a similar problem.

I've written often about bad spelling. Why we can't spell the names of people like Hofzinser, Thurston, and Robert-Houdin correctly is beyond me.

The other problem is people who use the wrong "to." There is a difference in meaning between the following two sentences.

Too much of the class singing can be fun.

To much of the class singing can be fun.

It's and its are also problematic. It's means it is. Its means belonging to it.

Since these are all legitimate spellings, a simple spell-checker won't catch the error. A grammar checker generally will, though.

This illustrates much of the problem.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......71&5
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-12-30 19:32, Bill Palmer wrote:

I've written often about bad spelling. Why we can't spell the names of people like Hofzinser, Thurston, and Robert-Houdin correctly is beyond me.

As an odd side note, and not as a contradiction, there is a family here in Birmingham with an altered spelling of the name Thurston (which I won't divulge out of respect for their privacy), yet they are related to Howard Thurston. I have seen documentation to that effect, including letters from Thurston to the family's ancestor(s) inquiring about certain necessities for the levitation.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Thank goodness for spell check. I would look like an idiot without it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
You mean you people honestly can't spell? What on earth is a "spell check" ?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
http://www.eispell.com gets you a free and well behaved spell checker for your browser.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
What's worse is when I read a best selling novel or my sons text books loaded with *-ups.
POOF!