The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Best Thumb Tips ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mel
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of mel
HaaLow People,
Can anyone recommend a good thumb tip ?
Is Hottrix's Thumb's Up the best in the market?
Thanks, appreciate any replies !

Rgs,
Mel
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I didn't really like the Hottrix thumb tip. I didn't like the way it fit and it was really stiff. I returned mine.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I would just go with a Vernet. No one's really going to be 'seeing' it anyway so all the supposed 'realistic, revolutionary' thumb tips are completely unnecessary.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Greetings...

I love Hottrix Thumbs Up Hard and can't say enough good things about it if you like to flash your hand empty like me.

Second, I would go with the Japanese semi-softs which is what I started with because of the realistic shape.

Third, I would go with a Vernet but this is just my preference because I have long, thin fingers. Vernet's are very popular with the magic community and typically a magicians tip of preference.

Your experiences might be different depending on your level of comfort. They're all good tips and work equally well so it just boils down to a matter of preference. Hope this helps.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Vernet for sure, they are the best in my opinion.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Vernet has been the best for me. I've tried rubber ones but they tend to stick a bit. Vernet's slip on and off very well.
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
Quote:
On 2002-12-15 17:38, hackmonkey wrote:
Vernet for sure, they are the best in my opinion.

I agree. No more words
MagicalDesignPro
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of MagicalDesignPro
I agree with Vernets - they are great and because of their semi-translucence, they have more of a blending effect with your natural skin tone.

I also had "Thumbs Up" and returned it. It was, in my opinion, not very good.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I have two Vernet tips - a regular one that I use for the classic "stuff, the little hankie into your fist till it's gone" miracle. Though I perform this less and less these days.
And a King-size one I use with a 6' TT silk rainbow streamer. I use this as a climax for a routine with a silver dollar and 18" silk.
The Vernet product fits me great - appearance shouldn't really matter - if people see it, you're using it wrong. But if you have the right skin tones for the "Thumbs Up", it might be cool.
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
I live in Japan and have always used the Japanese tips.

Salvano showed me how he uses thumbtips at the last FISM. Used by such a master, I don't think it matters which tip is used.
Whatever feels comfortable and comes off and on smoothly.

Dean Dill also has great info on preparing thumbtips
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
The best recommendation I can make is to go to a magic convention and try them all.

If you are looking for a hard tip, the Vernet tips are great and they are the house favorite. At magic conventions, thumb tips are such a common accessory, that the prices are slashed in an attempt to shift stock. You might get a great tip for $2.

At FISM, I was looking for a Jumbo Vernet thumbtip, but in vinyl. As many of you will know, Vernet doesn't make a vinyl Jumbo; they only have the hard plastic tip. However, looking around at the dealers, I found someone who had a jumbo Vernet tip in vinyl. They were just like the Japanese tips, only longer. It was exactly what I was looking for. They were the only dealer that had them and it was something they don't normally carry. It just turned out that they got a few in and bought them with them to FISM. The dealer was Laflin Magic, and as you all know, they usually just deal in silks and spongeballs!!

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
It depends on the effect. For bill transpositions I'll use a Vernet. For cigarette work I'll use the Japanese tip. See what works best for you.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
I have to agree with rmendez
Hottrix has the best thumb tip on the market. It looks so real. It is definitely worth the money. Remember buy the hard one not the soft. Smile
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Quote:
On 2003-07-14 23:01, toonomads wrote:
I live in Japan and have always used the Japanese tips.

I have a couple of the Japenese tips. They are very detailed(fingerprint, shape etc.) and cost about the same as a Vernet. I use the Japanese tip quite a bit, and find that you can even flash it with little fear.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I've tried a number of the "new & improved" versions, including the ones with "actual thumb print and detailed features".

Bottom line: I keep coming back to Vernet. Why? It works!
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Try a pair of D'Lites, serves you more than an ordinary TT. Have a good time.

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 11:20, Indy Ron wrote:
I've tried a number of the "new & improved" versions, including the ones with "actual thumb print and detailed features".

Wow -- a thumb print? If that's not overdoing it, I don't know what is! Lord help me if someone is looking closely enough at my TT that they can tell whether there's a thumbprint or not!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm waiting for a version that not only has "a" thumbprint, but that has "my exact" thumbprint. I mean, what if I perform for law enforcement crowds and they want to dust me for gimmicks? While we're on the topic of useless products, anyone know where I can buy an electric dog polisher and a fur-lined sink (thank you Steve Martin)?
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
In my experience with thumb tips, it depends upon what effect you're going to do.

Use the rubber thumbs if you want to flip cards high in the air.

Use the plastic ones or Vernet type for bill transpositions as mentioned already, but I personally use a Japanese tip for this.

I am a fan of these Japanese tips, which I buy from MAK Magic. The Japanese tips sold from other suppliers are not as good as the Japanese tips sold at MAK.

You could also make your own Eclipse Tip from these Japanese tips.

I hope, I have shared something interesting.

http://www.magfi.com.ph
magic106
View Profile
New user
Jimmy
4 Posts

Profile of magic106
Vernet is the best I perform the vanishing hanky inches from their face and they can't see it, but of course I keep my hands fairly moving. You can't stand still that close. Smile
life is good live everyday as if it's your last.