The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Patrick Page's Everlasting Rope Effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Has anyone ever performed Patrick Page's Everlasting Rope effect?
Here's the effect: The Magician fairly and cleanly cuts a piece of rope in two, and the separate pieces are tied together with a knot. The rope is instantly restored into one piece while the knot melts away.

This is a clean version of the Cut and Restored Rope trick. But since every magician knows some form of a Cut and Restored Rope trick, do you think that trick is worth buying?
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4199 Posts

Profile of warren
This is an item I was interested in myself, but didn't know where it could be purchased from, so I didn't take it any further.
However, it sounds ideal for strolling and table hopping. So if you do purchase the effect, I would be interested to here your comments about it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I bought this from Patrick back in the mid 70's. It is called the "Everlasting Rope Trick" because you use one rope forever! It is a cut and restored rope routine that doesn't use up any rope! This is typical Patrick Page thinking. Perfect for stand-up or walk-around. I used to perform it table hopping.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Warren,

Meir Yedid Magic sells Patrick Page's DVDs. Here is the address of the Meir Yedid Magic section with Patrick Page's DVDs:

http://www.mymagic.com/dvd/dvd-page.htm

The Everlasting Cut & Restored Rope effect is on Patrick Page's Rope Magic & Magic With Paper DVD. It sell for $12.50. Other magic online stores sell Patrick Page's DVDs.
Dai Vernon
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
It looks like this DVD has explanations for several routines, but only a demonstration of the Everlasting Rope.

Do you know if I might be wrong and there's an explanation of Everlasting Rope?

By the way, Patrick Page just gave us (Vancouver Magic Circle - IBM Ring92) a lecture last month, which we thoroughly enjoyed. I wish I had started to research this topic before he came, and I could have asked him about it.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
Patrick Page's Everlasting Rope is very visual. Very stunning. Incidentally, I noticed that Page's Magic Seminar DVDs are on sale on eBay, too. However, the DVDs have not been re-mastered. The quality is the same--at best--as the original VHS tapes that came out in 12 years ago. But, they are still worth getting because the DVDs are indexed...

Manoj
Manoj
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Gordyboy,

I didn’t know that Patrick Page's Rope Magic & Magic With Paper DVD had only a performance of the Everlasting Cut & Restored Rope effect.

Does anyone know if there is a DVD (or book) containing the explanation of Patrick Page's Everlasting Rope Effect? Also, does Patrick Page's Magic Seminar DVDs contain an explanation of the Everlasting Rope Effect?
Dai Vernon
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I believe that you will find the explanation to the “Everlasting Rope” tick on Patrick Page’s “Super Tricks” video/DVD.

Interestingly, it used to cost less than $5.00, including printed and illustrated instructions and the rope. Those were the days. You might want to try Abbott's and Hank Lee's for the printed trick.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pat Page includes the Everlasting Rope Effect in all his lecture notes. I have it in print several times from purchasing notes when he visited the USA.

Does anyone know if he can be reached by email?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gerard,
I emailed the instructions to you! Enjoy!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After reviewing the instructions, this is R.C. Buff's Instanto Rope Trick that U.F. Grant sold many years ago. Mak-Magic sold it for a while, but have stopped producing it for some reason. Hopefully, Empire Magic (aka Loftus) or Fun Inc. (aka Royal Magic) will remake this item sometime in the future.
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
The only place I've seen it so far is on eBay... for $18.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Everlasting-Rope-Ama......ViewItem

Not sure I'm willing to pay that for this single routine.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Gimmick or sleight?
Jolyon Jenkins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is no gimmick, per se, and no difficult slights. There is a gaff of sorts (and I'm really stretching there) and subtlety. The principle is an old one and can be found in Sands “Sandsational” rope routine, in Flip’s work, in Tabary’s work, and even found in the Daryl DVD/videos on rope magic.

Pat Page distilled a routine down to the basic elements for ease of handling and maximum entertainment, but that is what old Pat does.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks
Jolyon Jenkins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-06-08 01:00, Gordyboy wrote:
The only place I've seen it so far is on eBay... for $18.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Everlasting-Rope-Ama......ViewItem

Not sure I'm willing to pay that for this single routine.

The description from my Pat Page notes does show a gimmicked rope, so that is what you are buying. If the eBay offering includes the rope, then this is a fair price for a cut and restored rope trick that does not require constant replenishment of the rope, as in most C & R rope tricks.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
L&L Publishing sell Patrick Pages DVDs, too.
Daniel Faith
TheMagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDamon
I got the DVD off eBay for a fairly good price. I will say this, if you ever saw David Copperfield's Rope Trick on the Orient Express episode, David uses a few of the same cut and restored rope methods taught on this video.

I am actually looking for the first part of the routine, where David keeps cutting the rope and it goes back to one piece.

Does anyone know on which DVD, book, or VHS tape I could find this?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This is just the basic stuff, Pat just has a great way of routining it. If you know the principals of rope work, you can work out your own routine like his.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheMagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDamon
I realize it's basic stuff, Pete, but I only had knowledge of a few methods, and this simple DVD taught me some new other methods....

As far as the beginning to Copperfield's routine, I can't figure it out, so if you have knowledge of where to find that, I would appreciate it.