The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Betchas :: My all time favorite bar bet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Read this years ago and have used it hundreds of times. The bet is that you can hold a standard paper match upside down for one minute without getting burned. Actually I have gone above 90 seconds, but you can hold that in reserve.

Method: With the match held upside down start moving the match side to side. This causes the flame to burn slower...a LOT slower! It's simple and unless the mark knows the gag it's a good one. The bet is just outrageous enough though that unless you appear slightly reluctant to do it they won't bite. Best,
Brad Burt
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Then you can do the old 'match burns twice' gag. Always kills!
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
A minute seems a long time, although I know it can be done. Back in my college days, we were required to say the greek alphabet three times while holding a standard match upside down. We found the making a circular motion with your hand, about one revolution every 2 seconds would keep the match burning but very slowly. Don't know about a minute or 90 seconds...because we also learned to say the Greek alphabet very fast. 35 years later, I can still do it easily.
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
Ever seen a penny screw'n a quarter: then open your hand and there is a penny a screw and a quarter

what did you think I said?
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
VeritasNoir
View Profile
New user
Chicago
18 Posts

Profile of VeritasNoir
I am going to try this one tonight. Thanks for the post!
"We have art in order not to die of truth." ~ Nietzsche
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
Funny...very funny.

BooRadley
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Thanks for sharing Brad.
magidave
View Profile
New user
Omaha, Nebraska
71 Posts

Profile of magidave
"Ever seen a dime and pin?" Open your hand and show the dime and safety pin. "What did you think I said? A diamond pin? Never!"
Dave Arch
http://OmahaMagician.com
Lybrary Author Page: https://bit.ly/2ow1Onb