The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From The Wizards Cave - by Bill Palmer :: Friends (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
We are living on a cusp, friends. Our connections to the past are rapidly disappearing.

I think I began to notice it when Dai Vernon passed away. He had been directly responsible for getting me to try performing for a living. He'd had a lot of influence on me from even before I met him. I didn't know Duke Stern well, nor Lou Derman or Joe Berg, so I guess it was The Professor that really woke me up.

Then Punx went. I may have been the last real friend he had.

I would see them drop away, one by one. Bob Blau, whom I'd known since I was a kid, Gene DeJean, went, too.

Irv Weiner, Karrell Fox, Bob Read, all giants.

This past month has been particularly rough. Billy McComb, Channing Pollock....

Do yourself a favor. Write a letter or a note or even an e-mail to an old friend. Give him or her a phone call.

Let them know you care.

You will be glad you did.

And you will be very disappointed in yourself if you don't.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I received a phone call while I was in Germany from one of my friends who thought I sounded a bit down when I wrote this. First of all, I did feel a bit down, but I was not despondent or anything like that. Not at all. I was just, shall we say, musing about some of the responsibilities that we have as friends. I am most grateful for the fact that someone actually tried to contact me by phone about this.

When we are young, we think of ourselves as "bulletproof." Then we have a brush with the Reaper, and we find out that we may not be as invulnerable as we had thought.

Magic is a very interesting art form. It brings people of all kinds together. Each of us has something to contribute in his or her own way.

Sermon over -- now, back to magic.

And thanks!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
By the time you read this, you will be aware that Tommy Wonder has passed away after a lingering bout with lung cancer. His contributions to our Art are numerous. Moreover, he was a very good person.

Others have left us since I wrote the last entry here -- Patti Sinclair, who lived in Watford, UK, with her husband Miles. They gave her a great sendoff. The priest who conducted the service had never performed a funeral before. When the sermon was over, everyone stood and cheered, and the priest turned white as a sheet!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC