The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Hole punch for pothole trick help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hey Everyone,
I recently discovered "The Pothole Trick" in "Workers 1." What a great and creative trick! The problem I'm having is finding the right hole-punch. Actually, I found the right punch. My Father-in-law had one that he gave to me and it is PERFECT. It's everything I need and the hole is flawless and invisible when it's "gone" (you know what I mean if you know the trick.) Anyway, what I'm looking for, is a duplicate of the same hole punch. It is an Acco 74005. I have found it at a couple of places on the internet, but I don't particularly want to pay 10 dollars shipping for a 99 cent item! This one works for the way it is described in workers 1. The problem is I usually go though about 10-15 business cards per 1 card set-up properly which is a bit of a pain. SOOOOO... what I want to do is get the exact same punch and file this one down so it makes perfect punches every time. Incidently, I've gone and bought about 6 other hole-punchers and they all leave obvious indications of the the "work" which will not due. So, my question, in short, is: does anyone know of a store (not online) that sells this exact hole punch or at least the Acco (Swingline) brand. Thanks
Dann
ps. What brand does Micheal Close include in his marketed version of this effect? Thanks.
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Did you us ethe tip Close gives when punching the hole? If you put it back and use the back of a spoon to rest the holes back in. then you should be good to go. Hop eI was understanding the question, if so, you won't need that one.

Travis
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Unfortunately, I don't have the explanation to this on video so I don't think I've got any of his valuable tips. I have the original as printed in "workers 1" the book. My problem is that the acco 74005 punches both kinds of holes perfectly and it looks great, but I have to punch the gimmicked ones many times to get it right, so I want to file it down to punch the gimmicked holes. That will mean I need another punch to punch the regular holes which is why I want to find another 74005. No other punch has done the holes as nicely as this one and the "work" is always a bit visible with other punches. If the spoon idea helps this problem, I'd be interested to know more about it. Thanks so much for the help and if anyone else has any pointers on this, let me know. And of course if anyone knows where I can get the desired hole punch, please inform me. Thanks
Dann
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
He told you how to use the spoon in the message above. It's like "burnishing" by rubbing the biz card with the back of a spoon on a hard surface. Try it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-23 20:24, stannmaple wrote:
So, my question, in short, is: does anyone know of a store (not online) that sells this exact hole punch or at least the Acco (Swingline) brand.

I've seen these at Staples and also at Frye's. The spoon method (above) is quite good.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Great! Thanks for the help guys. I'll experiment with the spoon. Would this be beneficial for both kinds of holes? I got a hole-punch from staples which was "staples brand" and it was not that great. I'll ask them if they have the one I'm looking for available to order. Who knows though, this spoon idea might solve my problems. Thanks guys!
Dann
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I should have suggested this before, but here it is with one clik on GOOGLE...
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_g......d=619733
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Great resource Pete, but the add-on tax and shipping they calculate jacks the price up to $9. Smile
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hey! Just tried the spoon idea. Wow! Problem solved! Thanks so much for the help. I was about ready to spend the 10 bucks for the hole-puncher, but I'm glad I didn't! This works wonderfully. Out of curiousity, what tape does Micheal give these tips on? Thanks
Dann
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I can't believe $9 or $10 is stopping someone from doing one of the greatest all time close up miracles... Geeeeeeeeeeez Smile Smile Smile
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
For the record, I have spent way more than 9 bucks to get the desired result. but I am glad the spoon thing helped. Good luck.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 16:06, Pete Biro wrote:
I can't believe $9 or $10 is stopping someone from doing one of the greatest all time close up miracles... Geeeeeeeeeeez

:)
That wasn't my point.

The original poster (stannmaple) specifically did not want an on-line resource due to the shipping cost.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I still say, for such a great trick, the shipping costs and the product cost is NIL... that trick is worth $100s to a worker and if you had to fly to another city to get one it would be worth it.
MagicHatofMatt
View Profile
New user
Florida
71 Posts

Profile of MagicHatofMatt
Listen to Pete here. If 9$ stops you from performing a MIRACLE, then what else is stopping you in your life?
Who Else Wants a CUSTOM Airbrushed Backdrop That'll Turn Your Audience's Heads!?"

http://www.AmazingBackdropCreations.com

Only $697 for a CUSTOM Airbrushed 10' x 10' Backdrop, COMPLETE with Portable Backdrop Stands and a Carrying Bag!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5480 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Oh, please!!!!!!!!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have to chime in here. The Close Pothole trick is worth it's weight in gold....or hole punchers. Ten bucks is nothing for this gem and reputation maker.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ymumagic
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of ymumagic
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone recommend a hole punch that can replicate the sound?

Would the one recommended on this thread work?
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
93 Posts

Profile of raether
I saw that you can still get the Acco 74005 hole punch on ebay. You are looking for something with the round spring between the grips to make the sound. Ideally the plate between the hole punchers can swivel on the rivet slightly. You want it to swivel enough to block being able to punch a hole. If you know the pothole trick, this will make sense to you. You may want to go down this route for now.

This is probably one of the best close-up tricks I have ever seen.
Helmut Raether
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21277 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why not try to contact the creator of the effect?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
This being an older trick, one would need to find props available at that time it was creat. I was and am quite familiar with this awesome trick. Go to antique stores, estate sales etc. These items can be found an almost no cost. I’m am talking from experience, not suggestions. Hope this helps.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.