The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Most Overused Phrase (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
So basically, speaking magicians are making a mistake.

Time to study mime!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
By the sound of it, the most underused phrase used by magicians is "The End".
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
stepseven
View Profile
New user
Staffs, UK
54 Posts

Profile of stepseven
"Have you never heard of black cherries?" -- Maybe this one has stuck because it's a utility gag?

Must say this thread has been a wake up call* and I'll be studying my language very closely from now on. CdnAndrews post rang bells* and I am at my most guilty of "tired" phrases when handling the cards. Mentalism draws on a particular jargon too I find.

I think some of the one liners have become like pantomime jokes** and are expected and enjoyed by an audience even if they pre-date Moses.

*Apologies for cliches.
**Oh no they haven't.
+ev
stepseven
View Profile
New user
Staffs, UK
54 Posts

Profile of stepseven
"..even if they pre-date Moses"

Oops - the jokes that is
+ev
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I tried to do some magic for people who could have passed as pre-dating Moses.

They weren't very "Into it" also one lady kept trying to get me to stop stealing from her room. Another guy just thought I was his son.

However, old folk are what keep the junk mail guys in business. Thank goodness Social Security pays so well.....
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I dislike the same phrases in magic that I do in speech or writing. Anything verbose bothers me. When it comes to magic specifically, I dislike the word "fair".

Jeff
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
"Who would like to be my next victim, er.. Volunteer?"
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Narmis
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Narmis
"For my next trick..."

"Basically, .." - unnecessary

"Err" - disgusting
I admit I was addicted to cards, but fortunately I am down to one pack a day.
TheAstonishingLarry
View Profile
Regular user
I aspire to more than only
183 Posts

Profile of TheAstonishingLarry
The Amazing Jonathan has a funny twist on the line "Just a normal deck of cards, right?" as he thumbs throught the deck. When the spectator agrees he swings the cards in a circle (it's an Electric Deck) and says, "Well then how do you explain this?"
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
How about, "Good evening, I am the house magician and I am here to do magic for you" or something to that effect.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
A line is only old if you've heard it before. Sometimes a direct, however old, line is important. I want you to choose a card. Don't mince words. Get to the point without wasting five minutes to say what can be said in two seconds (Like this post for one thing). Pick a card. How more direct can you get. Not, May I have select this paste board that I am fanning before you. Just, Pick a card. Easy.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-03-04 16:49, stepseven wrote:
"Have you never heard of black cherries?" -- Maybe this one has stuck because it's a utility gag?

Never heard that in my life.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Mrbilldentertainer, the black cherry line is funny. This is a good way of using an out when doing tricks like John Kennedy's Mind Power Deck. "Is your card a color of a cherry?" Pause. Let their face register that you've goofed. "Have you ever heard of a black cherry?" It may get a laugh, it may not. But, at least you now know what color it is and can continue.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Somebody mentioned this one some time back: "Here we have..."

Who's we, the poster asked, do you have a mouse in your pocket?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why yes George, I do. Let me show you ( great way to get into the magic mouse trick? )

Here are a couple that make me cringe:

"you should"

and

"i know how you feel"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
No one's mentioned the use of, "...like so".

As in, for e.g., "I put this in here... like so."

"...like so" is a magicians' favourite. It is used to explain an action that doesn't need to be explained. It's a substitute for an actual meaningful script which is, as far as I can make out, always tagged on to a bare bones description of whatever proceedure is being undertaken.

If you say this phrase during your performance you'll find that forcing yourself to not say it will be an instant improvement as you'll be forced to say something interesting and relevent to what you're doing rather than just blandly describing what you're doing.

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Actually I kind of like the line: Pick a card any card...No not that one.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am bothered by some of the things magicians say at Magic Circle performances:

"Here is something I am working on, hope I don't screw it up."

"You've probably seen this done better than me."

"My wife hates this so I'll do it for you."

"At least with you guys I don't have to practice much."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Kind of along the lines of changing the mind line is, "Are you sure?"

In the magic retail realm..the word "killer" anywhere in the ad copy of a trick has come to mean "mediocre" to me.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
The most overused phrase is:

What can I buy next?