The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Most Overused Phrase (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I'd much rather hear something described as a trick than as an experiment. I cringe when I hear a magician say he needs someone to assist him with an experiment. It just drives me nuts. With a lot of tricks, to the layman, if there's any doubt as to the outcome and if there's a real chance the "experiment" could fail, why should the spectator give the magician credit when the "experiment" proves successful? Shouldn't the "experiment" be repeated at least several times to eliminate the possibility that the results of the first "experiment" weren't just plain luck?

I mean no offense to anyone here who uses that approach - it's just like anything else, such as spelling tricks. You either like them or you don't. In this case, I hate both. I remember hearing the "experiment" line a bunch of times as a little kid and had to keep myself from being rude by rolling my eyes as I thought to myself "Yeah, right, like there's a chance you're not going to pull off whatever this is." That's why I never use the line myself - I can't sell something I hate and would never buy.

Great thread, though. And I had never heard the black cherries line, either.
Belanos
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Belanos
[quote]On Apr 13, 2006, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:

Now, I also hear this a lot on DVDs.
-Pick a card.
-Perfect
-Write your name on it.
-Perfect
-Show it to your friends.
-Perfect.
-Put it in the middle.
-Perfect.
-Are you left handed or right-handed?
-Perfect.
[quote]
You must be talking about Gerry Griffin
Belanos
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Belanos
Here's a phrase that is over-used in magic instruction videos. "So what you're going to do now is...." or "So now you're going to..." or variations on the theme. The instruction doesn't need a preface...just tell us what we do next!!!!

Oh...and "umm" and "uhh" and "OK". stop it.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
"Patter".- How about scripting instead? So that it sounds like something we want to say, instead of something we have to.

"Um"-Usually said when a magician has not scripted the magic and is winging it, and is not very good at winging it.

Narrating moves.- The audience can see what you are doing, why say it out loud? Oh, because a good script has not been written to push the story along.

"Do me a favor".- Do ME a favor and don't use this overused phrase.

"Do you like magic?" or "Can I show you something?"- What if they say "No!". You just lost control of the show.

"Is there any particular reason that you picked that card?" - Unless you actually care about the answer and use it in the trick and it is not a stalling technique, than NO!
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
I'd much rather hear something described as a trick than as an experiment. I cringe when I hear a magician say he needs someone to assist him with an experiment. It just drives me nuts. With a lot of tricks, to the layman, if there's any doubt as to the outcome and if there's a real chance the "experiment" could fail, why should the spectator give the magician credit when the "experiment" proves successful? Shouldn't the "experiment" be repeated at least several times to eliminate the possibility that the results of the first "experiment" weren't just plain luck?

I mean no offense to anyone here who uses that approach - it's just like anything else, such as spelling tricks. You either like them or you don't. In this case, I hate both. I remember hearing the "experiment" line a bunch of times as a little kid and had to keep myself from being rude by rolling my eyes as I thought to myself "Yeah, right, like there's a chance you're not going to pull off whatever this is." That's why I never use the line myself - I can't sell something I hate and would never buy.

Great thread, though. And I had never heard the black cherries line, either.

"Experiment" probably dates back to he dawn of the age of science, when the itinerant mounebanks put on a clean shirt and moved into the drawing rooms of the wealthy. The usual "stage" set was a large table, upstage center, and two "tripod" side tables, down left and right.

The large table was "loaded" with "apparatus" and "paraphernalia". Each item was generally moved to one or both tripod tables when it was "demonstrated", or, "experimented with"!

It was the age of chrome plated "apparatus", and glass "paraphernalia". The mountebank assumed the role of "professor" or "doctor", to add "class" to his presentation.

Three hundred years! And, we still hear magicians use "apparatus" and "experiment" !!! --AND, we still see "red velvet bags on a stick" (change bags) chafing dishes (dove/duck pans) ETC.

Ha! My SECOND Magic book ("Fun With Magic" --Joseph Leeming) started off on the first page with a "sample handbill" for an "old" magic show". (Note the pseudo "scientific" words!!!

MYSTERY & MIRTH

A CONGRESS OF CABALISTIC PHENOMENA

Children in Ecstasies! Ladies Enraptured! Gentlemen delighted!

EXPERIMENTS IN HIGH CLASS P R E S T I D I G I T A T I O N and I L L U S I O N A R Y S C I E N C E

Something NEW--WEIRD--WONDERFUL
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.!

Oops! I think that there was one more line:

"A sight that will baffle the senses, astound the mind, and, mystify the human brain!"
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Here are some more...
- Hold out your hand, flat like a table
- on the count of three..
- flip it over
- show it to the audience, don't show me, I'm gonna turn around.
- remember the card, don't forget it..
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
When screwing up : Ah ***! Or "shoot" / dang it! My original teacher use to bust my b***s about that!
willmagicman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of willmagicman
Here's two phrases that are pet hates of mine:

1, 'Perfectly ordinary'

2, 'I'm just going give the cards a genuine shuffle'

Both these statements imply the opposite is actually true.

Will.
A Man's gotta know his limitations ... A Magician sets those limitations.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
P.S.!

Oops! I think that there was one more line:

"A sight that will baffle the senses, astound the mind, and, mystify the human brain!"

This would work today. Ima use it if I can remeber it! .............. 4th and beer!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Bill! I agree! Thank Joe Leeming for it! (I'n old, but not THAT OLD!) HEE HEE
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Here's a phrase that is over-used in magic trailers - "This is an organic and visual piece of propless mentalism!"
rabbitok
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
52 Posts

Profile of rabbitok
From Vendors

"Easy to Learn"
"Practically sleight free"
"Real Magician Fooler"
"Self-Working"
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
"Limited only by your imagination"
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
No, I have a headache! errrrrrrrrrr.........wait a minute............🤣🤣🤣
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, Psyfl wrote:
"Limited only by your imagination"

Yes, I dislike that one too. It usually really means, "We were too lazy to think up any good uses for this fershluggener thing, so now it's up to you."
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
"Needless to say".... is a phrase that... well, it just bugs me! And..."Uhhh, Ummm..." was mentioned before as a validation of lack of preparation unless as I sometimes do in a comedy routine fumble like Barney Fife...lol.

I just like to tell stories and let my mannerisms and body language overcome the objections the spectators may have already visualized in their minds eye. No need to verbally say, "Nothing up my sleeves. Watch this." etc. etc.
Charles Nileud
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Charles Nileud
I have a gig coming up and it's actually chinese client.

anyone know what to avoid saying or jokes not to say?
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
"This effect does the work for you"
"You can begin performing in minutes"
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Has anyone mentioned "go ahead and..."?

I think it's quite recent, but my God, it's getting annoying.

Ryan Schultz, an otherwise engaging performer and instructor on the Big Blind Media "Self Workers" series, cannot go more than two or three sentences without saying it.

"I'd like you to go ahead and cut the cards..."
"Now go ahead and memorise your card..."
"Just go ahead and sign your name here..."

It is ALWAYS redundant.

Michael O'Brien, who does the instruction for Josh Zandman's Time Traveller book test, is another perpetrator. "Now you can go ahead and name the word they looked at..." Again and again and again.

Four COMPLETELY unnecessary syllables.

Once you notice it, you can't unnotice it and it's infuriating.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com