The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Most Overused Phrase (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
How about; "I know what you're thinking."?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Personally to me its counting to low numbers. For example "I am going to to take 5 of (insert item name here) 1.....2....3.....4....5" It insults the intelegence of your spectator.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
DMueller, you can overcome this problem starting with "one for the money... two for the show... 3, 4 and 5" this quick reference to the song doesn't distract from the clear display, offers a rhythm acceleration (no monotony), and does away with the belittling of the spectators that is, I agree, implied in a simple counting.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
Quote:
....."one for the money... two for the show... 3, 4 and 5"....

One for the money...two for the show... 3,4, and, as you begin a little soft shoe, 5,6,7,8. Just a thought.
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
A good thought. You got me 100% right. Scripting is an art to get across something that otherwise might look cheesy. This is why the concept of "most overused phrase" is flawed for it doesn't take into consideration the context in which a phrase is used... and it may be overused for us, magicians, and not for an audience: such a thread is useful but it is a double bladed sword.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
"Pick any card"
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of griffindance
We all have our styles that we are comfortable working in!

After doing over 20 shows there are phrases or ideas that we see repeated. After 200 shows these phrases can REALLY get to us, but after 2000 we may just accept that some are just the bet way to communicate with an audience.

I always try to find a way to be myself with an audience. If I say "pick a card" its kind of necessary, but if I say "You'll like this one... Not a lot!" then some might ask if I should send Paul some copyright payment. Even if you use catchphrases make sure they are your own way of speaking with your audience. Not someone else's.
Spyder
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Spyder
For me the phrase I use most is "Moo"
"Do you like card tricks" he asked.
I said no.
He did five
-W. Somerset Maugham
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
One more time this time slower...

:)
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Hold out your hand...no the clean one.

This ones for the people in the cheap seats! (I really hate that one.)

Can you tell one from the other? What's the other?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Ken Weber in his book Maximum Entertainment discusses a number of regularly used lines that are in fact detrimental - many have been mentioned in this string. The thing to think about - if it doesn't add to the show it takes away.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I usually say, "Pick the right card PLEASE just this once." No matter what card they pick I say...YES

I know this was supposed to be what you dislike magicians saying the most, but thought I would add this.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 23:02, Muckey Spleen wrote:
I want to echo Mr. Palmer, as it bears repeating - "What I'm going to ask you to do is..." Why not just MAKE THE REQUEST?

Even more mind numbing, Muckey and Mr. P, is this related quadruple whammy from a recent one-trick DVD: "Here's what I'd like you to do. What I'd like you to do is . . . . ." EVERY request of a volunteer was preceded by that catchy doublet. To insure symmetry, EVERY activity of the mystery worker was prefaced with: "Okay, here's what I'm going to do. What I'm going to do is . . . . ." This performer no doubt counts himself among those magi who reject the notion of scripting his (wholly narrative) presentations because it might make him seem stiff and non-spontaneous.

TT
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Weber pointed out that "the name of the card" a phrase I use to often means nothing. Just say "the card". I have adjusted my patter to avoid "the name" portion, but it still wants to slip in to my mouth.
Frank
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2497 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Ha, old thread but amusing.

Description of trick:
"Packs flat and plays big"....enough already!

Review of trick:
"Gets your creative juices flowing"....ewwww, just sounds gross

In general:
"At the end of the day"....stop it!!! Please!! I'm begging you
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Any process patter, i.e. Now I'm going to take the ______ and ....... Is it really necessary to outline every process that is occurring? The only time that is appropriate is in a recap.
However, most lines we here over and over from other magicians or those that we hear ourselves audiences hear only once and then they don't process the line into long term memory, so if they hear it again it can still be fresh. Kid's sow lines are a good example. "Now hold out your hand. No, the clean one." or "Are you married?" get great laughs so everybody uses them. That's now reason to think "Gee guy, can't you get a better line?"
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2006, kinesis wrote:
This may be a UK thing but the words "OK" and "right" really bug me.

"I have a coin, ok, now all I'm gona do is place it here,ok and then...ok...ok...ok"

Substitute the word "OK" with "right" and you'll get the idea, OK, right!.

As Bill Palmer notes, I hate when magicians state the obvious

"Here I have a coin, now I'm going to place it in the box, now I'm going to cover the box with this cloth and tap it 3 times with my magic wand" Don't say it - do it!

Can't agree more! I hate hearing "OK" & "Right"...and I think it is a UK thing.
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2009, Maloney wrote:
Personally, no lines bug me. I love reading topics like these just so I can pick up a few extra one-liners, which I have.

Although lines are repeated often by most magicians, the audience is not used to it at all, so it gets a laugh anyway. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Maloney is right. How often does a lay person have the chance to see a magician at work? Probably only twice a year at most. So it really doesn't bother the lay audience. This only bothers the magicians who has watched countless videos and seen countless live acts.

Still a good place to source for one liners Smile

Ah I miss Aldo Colombini.
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
I used to balk at using "magicy" sounding words like abracadabra and hocus pocus. But, I've actually started using them more, particularly in use with kid shows. They have a cartoonish expectation of a magician and seem to enjoy getting their expectations satisfied. Of course I don't over use it!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I use the word "trick" almost exclusively in describing what I do. Even if it was based on real magic, the sort of demonstrations I am doing would be considered little tricks of no great consequence. Just light entertainment. Even Gandalf would have considered smoke rings and such "tricks."