The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Devil's hank (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Hi guys,
Anyone have any resources for learning how to use a devil's hank?
Thanks!
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Some items here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54
And
Cellini: Magic That Can be Performed Anywhere DVD
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

The Cellini DVD deals with a different "Devil's Hank". I know because I bought the DVD with the idea of learning a routine with the standard Devil's Hank - but, it's something different. I can't remember what it was, though.

Ron
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Thanks Ron. Do you know of any resources for a routine with the devil's hank? A DVD preferably.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Harry Anderson's book has one. That is why I started making the hanks over 15 years ago.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Anything on DVD? I mean I know the handling for it, just wondering if anyone knew of a routine.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The only thing I know of is part of a routine that Marvin Roy did on his Stevens Magic series.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Rich Marotta uses one on his Comedy Magic Video - It's put out by A-1 Magical Media, but I don't know if it's available on DVD. He uses it in a "Card in Orange" routine where tears up the pieces of a card, and drops them in the hank. He opens the hank up and all the pieces dissappear except for corner, which falls to the floor. Spectator holds onto that piece while Rich cuts open an orange - same card is in the orange but is missing a corner, and spectators corner matches perfectly.

It's a very well structured routine with some clever subtleties.

Ron
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Rich's comedy series is only on video from what I can find.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Many magicians think there is just one "Devil's Hank" but there are a great many variations, each of which is good for a different job. So when you say you want to learn the handling for THE devil's hank, you need to define which one you are using. There is a discussion of several types of Devil's Hanks on The Magic Nook Forum in the Children's Magic section.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
The one I purchased a long time ago has two pockets and a bandana design on it with two buttons to grab. I can't believe there isn't one DVD out there with a full routine for this??
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hi, Richard:

I made a Devil's Hank according to Harry's specs and promptly got busted using it. Yes, I'm rather ham-fisted, and yes, my sewing 'skills' would cause anyone with real skills to die of laughter-induced paroxysms, but...

Can you pass along any handling tips that might help me make the laymen believe the object's vanished...instead of merely slipped into hiding? Smile

Leland
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The reason there is no DVD containing a routine for "the" Devil's hank, is that the Devil's Hank is NEVER the "star" of an act, but always a helping adjunct to it, and as Spellbinder rightly points out... which Devil's hank? There are many variations of it each suited to its own special purpose.

To answer Leland's question, we would need to know WHAT he is vanishing, to determine if the hank he is using is the appropriate method for vanishing the thing.

Let me give you a ferinstance, that we have been discussing on The Magic Nook Forum. I have ALWAYS hated the vanishing box for the ball used in Stratospheres. So I developed a center vanish Devil's Hank just to accomplish the vanish of the ball.

Now I do the stratospheres up to the point where I have to make one of the balls disappear. I hold up the ball in my left hand, drape the modified center vanish Devil's hank over the ball and suddenly whip it away, flicking it (I learned how to do this in the locker room, snapping towels at other students when I was in high school) towards the stratosphere tube.

I then drop the cloth into a basket, after briefly showing it on both sides, and pay no further attention to it, instead focusing all attention on the "fact" that the ball has managed to reappear between the other two balls already in the stratosphere tube.

So that explain's Leland's problem (perhaps) in that he is left focusing attention on the hank rather than on the reappearance of the vanished object someplace else. That's why the hank is NOT the "star" of my stratospheres routine. It's just a tablecloth that I yank from the table and use to cover the ball before making it mysteriously vanish. I don't even have a trick that I call "The Devil's Hank" on my list of tricks. It's just a PART of various tricks that require a method to vanish some object in another routine.

Don't even give the audience a chance to guess "where did that object vanish? Must be the hank!" All attention is on the object, it vanishes and then reappears and you can blow your nose on the hank before dropping it in a wastebasket which will keep people from digging through the trash to "expose" you.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi, trying to make a double pocket devil hank.
Satan hank, Japanese style, has two pockets at each opposite diagonal corners. I feel this is best for table work.
I m more geared towards two pockets openings on the same ridge.
If I m looking at the top of the square hank, should pockets (no sash) be:
A: square
B: triangle with the the diagonal pointing at the middle of the hank
C: triangle with the diagonal pointing to the side?
Thanks
VG