The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Wouter
View Profile
New user
Holland
62 Posts

Profile of Wouter
The first coin trick I tried to learn, I picked it up from from the internet, used the backpalm. That's the first sleight I learned and it was not the best way to start with coin magic. I even went to a coin shop to buy a propper sized coin. At that time I was thinking about the possibility that there might be a book covering the subject. I searched on internet and accidental bought Modern Coin Magic from Bobo. That book was all I'm looking for.

With Bobo's book Modern Coin Magic and David Roth's Coin Magic Made Easy dvd I think you have a realy good start.

Wouter
Coin magic. Easy to learn, hard to master.
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
I started coin magic about 6 months ago using these 2 dvds:

Jay Noblezada - In the beginning there were coins
Eric Jones - Metal

I like Jay Noblezada explanation on the retention vanish and I like Eric's routines in his dvd better. However I'm not sure what I should proceed to right now.

Currently the only trick I can do with normal coins is possibly a one coin routine comprising of:
a) ponta the smith coin production
b) retention vanish
c) wither vanish (im not sure by who but I saw Shoot Ogawa perform this)
d) french drop
e) end similarly to ponta's one coin routine producing a jumbo coin at the end.

I'm looking towards learning 3 fly and some matrixes but Im really stumped on where to proceed actually. I ended up learning to muscle pass after about 2.5 months of practice and it jumps about 10cms, not sure how well I'm doing this.

Any recommendations on where to go from here?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Khuzhai, Since you like DVDs, check out David Roth's series, Ben Salinas' Modern Coin Magic set and the New York Coin Magic Seminar Volumes (Mike Rubinstein posts here and can give you more info). Also Rubinstein's Encyclopedia Of Coin Sleights (3 Volumes) is good.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
By far one of the best DVDs I have seen is Coin Man Walking by Dan Watkins. It is a few steps past beginner coin magic but, his teaching of each routine is just excellent. Dan demonstrates not just once but a couple of times each move and just how to do it. Working with coins for a while, I learned more in a short period of time just watching his presentations. I wish Dan would come out with a DVD on many of the basic moves, his teaching style is far beyond that of many of the DVDs out there.
Just my thoughts!
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Not sure if I over looked this or not but, one publication that pre-dates BOBO is Magic Without Apparatus by Camille Gaultier (1945). Has some classic coin sleights.
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
Quote:
On 2011-09-05 09:51, Wouter wrote:
The first coin trick I tried to learn, I picked it up from from the internet, used the backpalm. That's the first sleight I learned and it was not the best way to start with coin magic. I even went to a coin shop to buy a propper sized coin. At that time I was thinking about the possibility that there might be a book covering the subject. I searched on internet and accidental bought Modern Coin Magic from Bobo. That book was all I'm looking for.

With Bobo's book Modern Coin Magic and David Roth's Coin Magic Made Easy dvd I think you have a realy good start.

Wouter

I agree!
LeoC-Coins
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of LeoC-Coins
If coin magic is what you're after the best book in the whole world has got to be "modern coin magic by J.B Bobo" and the best dvd in my opinion is "metal 1 by Eric Jones"
germanmagician
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of germanmagician
Modern Coinmagic is also my Favorite Book of Coinmagic and Eric Jones
is one of my Favorite DVD's.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
If I was to get payed to teach someones kid magic, a total layman beginner, I would get him Michael Ammars intro to coins which teaches many sleight of hand techniques and touches on other areas like theory, patter and tips on performing. Most of the material are from legends like bobo, roth, ramsey and other great minds in magic and properly cited. I watched this when I was a newbie and some if not most the tricks taught in it fooled me. After they are familiar with sleights using coins and sponges, then I will finally get them to learn a cups and ball routine or a sponge ball routine. At the same time his home work would be practicing some card forces, false shuffles and controls. No magic props or tricks till graduation, that includes the TT. lol
John Locke
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
50 Posts

Profile of John Locke
Once you have learned some basic moves (including palming), you can begin to add to your repertoire. The book that my colleagues and I have produced contains some simple methods of acquiring additional basic to intermediate skills in the Cool Moves section.

The remainder of the book details more than a dozen performance pieces which vary from fairly easy to those which require more practice.

I suggest this book is a great starting point for those who have an interest in learning how to transform basic moves into entertaining magic.

See more details about it at http://www.lybrary.com/goldfinger-stand-......846.html

John McLachlan
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
^ And since the great philosopher, John Locke is here, and being that reading is fundamental... Smile

Without books the development of civilization would have been impossible [That would include Coin Magic]. They are the engines of change, windows on the world, 'Lighthouses' as the poet said 'erected in the sea of time.' They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
I pulled out my old VHS tapes and have been looking at them. If any newbie is searching for it, let me note that I disagree with Luca's comment (more than 10 years ago) about recommending Bill Tarr's Basic Coin Technique video. Bill teaches the basic material well, but he tries to do too much material he can't do well and there should be more emphasis on entertainment value.

Howard
DeanW
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of DeanW
Just going to add my beginners opinion here, working my way through David Roth’s ECM, and it has brought me along leaps and bounds and quicker than expected. So I highly recommend this to any beginner in coin magic.

Dean
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Magic Without Apparatus by Camille Gaultier is a great book with a coin section. Regards, Gregg Webb
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
Here is my list for beginners
1) Amateur magicians handbook by Henry Hay.This book will lay a strong foundation for all magic including coins.
2) New Modern Coin Magic by JB Bobo. I consider this more of a compilation as opposed to a teaching book but it is invaluable.
3) Expert Coin Magic by Richard Kaufman and David Roth. This where you begin to make the leap to more advanced coin magic.
I would also suggest getting the video companions to New Modern Coin Magic which is Modern Coin Magic 4 DVD set and Expert Coin Magic which is Expert Coin Magic Made Easy 3 DVD set.I suggest reading the books then watching the videos.
Following this advice in this order should make you a pretty accomplished Coin Manipulator.
Also...get the hardbound versions of these books as there more material in them and you will continue to refer to them throughout your magical career.
Frank
Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
Hi, Im completely new to magic. I was wondering is there a book that is specifically for coin magic beginners.
Or am I going to have to purchase books and video's that will teach me the basics that I will need to know for coin magic? Any and all help is welcomed Smile
RatdeLabo
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of RatdeLabo
Hi,

Read the 6 pages before Smile, all answers are here!
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
You cant beat Bobo! You will never regret buying NMCM! Smile
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
I learned from David Roth's Expert coin magic made easy 1-3.
Trust me, that's enough to fool lots of people!
BrotherJeffrey
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of BrotherJeffrey
I really still think Bobo's is number one. You can start there as a beginner and learn so much. Because the descriptions are short you get you use your imagination and develop on your own. But you can come back years later and still find good stuff and understand those trick and sleight descriptions even better on a 3rd or 4th read after years of practice. I think the book continues to offer and challenge.
Revolutionary Tools and Teaching for Coin Magicians

Have you seen Tresor?

CopelandCoins.com