The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Card fountain - remote control? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Any chance of posting those pics?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'd still like to find good pictures on this as well...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Sorry. I plumb forgot! I'll get to it. And now you're placing restrictions on me -- GOOD pictures! Yikes!

I've been having a hell of a time with this one. I mounted it inside a treasure chest with a switch on the outside. I am doing a Pirate themed card sword routine. It gets a great reaction when the cards shoot out from within the chest. Costumes for me and the kid helper, lots of fun, and a great effect. Not a bad $10 investment ... I've spent more than that on lunch!

BTW, when I try to use HTML code here is doesn't seem to work ... the code is just showing up in the message window. What am I doing wrong?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hmmm... not sure about the HTML dilemma. You may just try to upload the pictures through photobucket.com and leave a link.

-Bryan
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think I got it. Standard HTML code uses <> for tag brackets. Apparently, for some reason the [ ] brackets are used here. It works for italics, not for [u]underline[/u] but it does work for bold ... let's see if it works for pictures!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can make your own delay switch. Get a soda straw, fill it almost all way with motor oil and put a rope manet into it then seal the ends. Have magnet at top with a keeper holding it. Remove keeper and after several seconds the magnet drops to bottom and activates a reed switch to turn on motor.

I think you could have a manual off switch involved as well.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Not a bad idea Pete...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The off swith is easy. A "normally closed" spring-switch (I don't know the real name -- it's the type that only engages as long as pressure is on it) that is connected to one of the power leads can be mounted right where the wheel lever will be when the last card is released. The wheel lever presses against the switch, the motor shuts off.
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
I just bought a small motor with a gearbox that you assemble for different speeds normaly used for building robots ,(bought at FRYS ELECTRONICS in Indianoplis).

Is it possible to have to fast of a wheel turning as it is a 3 volt motor with a gear ratio of 785-1

Thanks for any help,

Mark
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Still waiting for pictures.
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
Viking Magic has a pic of a jumbo card fountain on there web site if you want to know what a good one looks like...$485.00
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I'm pretty sure I once read on here of a guy who bought a cheap remote control car, subbed in a motor of greater rpm, and therefore greater power supply, built a housing with a spring hinge and.... viola, a remote control card fountain Smile
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I just stumbled across this DVD that teaches you how to build a card fountain for under $20. It looks like is works like a champ too!

CLICK HERE

-Bryan
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
I bought this DVD. It is EXACTLY what it says it is... If you want to build a Card Fountain with off-the-shelf components, I highly recommmend it!!! Very well made. A true bargain for the do-it-yourself types out there!

sdmagic
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Here is a great site for remotes and more. http://www.electronickits.com/remote_control/rf2.htm
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
I took a chance on an ebay sale of a remote card fountain just over a week ago and won it at a very good price simply because I was the one and only bidder. The seller, a fellow from England (Nick Langham), makes them and offers them on his website as well. The regular price (99 pounds - about $200 US)is a lot less than others for sale. The card fountain is so small that it can fit behind a modified box of cards and put in a drinking glass without being seen by the audience (he says it's 80% angle proof) - the cards fly up just over 12 inches. I received it on Wednesday and it works great! You can make a single card rise, or set off a fountain of cards depending on how long you hold the remote button. You might get some ideas by going to his site at http://www.magicbynick.com and looking at the video clip. I don't know Nick personally, so I am not telling you this for personal gain. I just bought this from him and am very impressed with the item. Anyone interested in getting or building a streamlined fountain (instead of a big clunky one) might want to check it out.
Bruce Hunt
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
danielluskmagic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of danielluskmagic
Daniel here from themagicpodcast.com

I am getting ready to build a fountain from the DVD "Build a card fountian for under $20". I will be reviewing it on an upcoming podcast. I will let you know when it is posted.

Thanks,
Daniel
PWB
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of PWB
I bought the DVD from Mcgyver magic it has a simple cheap card fountain. as far as the remote the very best one for a single contact relay is from Alarm Electronics. it is not very small but there is no possibility of a false start. I have also used 30 second timers with a motion switch.

if you need more info msg me

Pat
wcoach
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of wcoach
Ebay "card fountain" and see what comes up
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
"Card Fountain X" is a great value for a powerful little remote controlled card fountain. I picked up one from Penguin's and I am very impressed. It sends a full deck very high into the air!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFSrAB6KaPM
It performs and looks better in person than on the video.