The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Card fountain - remote control? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Okay, I just built a killer card fountain for about $10.

It's battery operated (3-9V), but I have to activate it with a switch -- on and off. What suggestions do you have for either a remote control to start/stop it, or a timer that can start/stop it (battery operated please, nothing AC plug in.)
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Here is a link

http://www.rapidalarm.com/visonic-wirele......ces.html

I use a visonic remote for my snake basket. It is battery powered and is very reliable.
Check it out.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Mark, How did you make it? What parts are needed?

Isacc, What receiver and remote did you use?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 22:34, flourish dude wrote:
Mark, How did you make it? What parts are needed?

Issac, What receiver and remote did you use?

Here is the link for the receiver http://www.rapidalarm.com/vis-wr200.html
and the link for the remote http://www.rapidalarm.com/vis-wt201.html

The only problem with them is that they are 12 volt but I used a small 12v battery that is smaller than a "AAA" battery
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I would be interested in the parts and building instructions as well....

Bryan
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I used a 24V DC motor, which runs at 3500 rpm (a little faster since I'm running 27 V). The motor cost me $1.95. I mounted it to a piece of wood about 1-1/2" x 5", which I attached to the base with a small hinge. I used a mousetrap spring to keep tension on it against the deck of cards. I used a 1-1/2" diameter rubber stopper as the wheel. Works great; shoots card 4'-5' high, which is plenty high for my needs ... and a lot cheaper than the $350 price tag I'm seeing at magic sites.

If I make a second one -- which I likely will -- I will make it from aluminum to reduce the bulk by about 1/3.

Thanks for the link to a remote ... seeing as it will cost 6-7 times more than the fountain itself, I might try to develop a manual timing device first!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Mark,
Where did you get the parts?

Isaac,
How do you hook these up? Does it have input and outputs?

Thanks
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Here is a link that gives all the details about hook up and specs.

http://www.smarthome.com/7412.html
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I went to a store in my area called "American Science and Surplus." There are a few of them in the Chicago area; they are like giant geek warehouses, with bins of motors and test tubes electronic stuff nobody understands

http://www.sciplus.com/
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This is the "Holy Grail" for me... I've been wanting to make a card fountian for a long time... Does your fountain have the "kill switch" as well... so when it launches all the cards, it kills the power?

Bryan
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Hey Starrpower - How about posing a few pictures of the Fountain.. Sounds amazing!!!

Thanks!

sd
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
No kill switch, but I've been thinking about it. I could use the traditional "short circuit," but I don't want to burn out the batteries. It's gotta be something that actually turns off the device by disconnection. I'm still working on getting a picture up, but I've been VERY busy.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Maybe a button.. when pushed shuts down the unit? Like a 2-way switch or something?

Just a thought....

Bryan
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Mine uses a microswitch behind the stack of cards wired to be "normally closed". All the power to the unit (motor and timer) goes through the switch. When the actuator wheel ejects the last card, the wheel goes through a hole in the back of the holder and activates the switch, cutting the power.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Hmmmm, let me think...
a mechanism with , a well toothed rubber covered wheel that has good traction...
Something not too large that can operate on batteries...
Something that can be controlled by remote....
Oh! Wait, I am not supposed to put it on the floor to chase the cats about the house?
Well, I guess it is back to Radio Shack then! ;}

k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You forgot one important element ... the wheel's gotta turn FAST enough! Mine is 3500 rpm and I wouldn't go any any slower or the cards won't go high enough. I'm guessing your idea, while GREAT thinking (it must be, as I thought the same thing), won't have enough "oomph" to fire the cards ... but I could be wrong. Try it and get back to us.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yeah, a simple kill switch that just opens the circuit will work. I was looking so hard for ansers taht the easy one passed right by me!

BTW, how do I post a pic? Using html code doesn't work here ...
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
If you want me to set up a link to your picture, I would be happy to. Just send them to rtgreen8972@msn.com and I'll post them for you.

Thanks,
Richard
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But I'd rather learn how so I can do so in the future.

And, just to keep this on tipic, had anyone else made one yet?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
To post an image simply type:
(image)http://your_url/picture.jpg(/img)

but substitute [ for ( and ] for )
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.