The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Life, Death and Other Card Tricks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
What does everyone think of this book? I found out about through Eugene Burger's essay, Editing Our Scripts.

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I wouldn't part with my copy. It's Hermetic Press. It's Robert E. Neale. The selection is diverse, literary and practical.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
228 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
I second the nod. It's a firestarter of ideas. IMHO

Doug
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
This one is a great book for give you ideas in develop yourself patter, I really like the material of Robert Neale.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Love the book! Isn't there another book along this lines by Neale...Tricks of the Imagination? I know I borrowed one and bought one...and loved both. Lots of great ideas!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Well, allow me to dissent...

It's OK if you like that sort of thing. But frankly, much of the magic is rather lame. Yes I KNOW, if you're into story tricks and bizarre stuff etc etc then you'll have much more patience with this than I did.

But I haven't performed anything from this. It left me rather cold, as the magic does not match the build-up of the stories, IMO.

I have a copy for sale. VGC...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
It all depends on how you present the stories. This book is NOT only about effects, it is about stories combined with effetcs. Normally you don´t buy the book only because of the effects..... This is the reason why I think the regular cardshark is not the target for this book.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
I think the posts above that suggest this book as a source of ideas are right on the mark. As is the comment by ross welford. These presentations are tailored for Robert Neale (no surprize there); for anyone else to do them as described would be a mistake, unless you have the same persona and style as Neale. I also found that many of the effects just did not support the significance given to them by the presentations. One trick, with the holocaust theme, I would never dream of performing. For me it borders on extremely bad taste. I think he totally misjudged the appropriateness of that presentation.
Dale Hoyt
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Perhaps RObert Neale can present these things brilliantly.

Perhaps.

But I've seen Eugene Burger do the one with the grave stones: it's on one of his bizarre journeys tapes. And it drags and drags and has a "so what" ending. AND I'm a Eugene fan, so goodness knows how the rest of us would cope...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
The story weaves the magic, the trick is secondary. The story makes the audience care. It creates an emotional response that no trick can equal no matter how good it is. The example that comes to mind is the "Tear" routine from "Tricks of the imagination". A trick as simple and unimpressive as "Ruperts pearls", touches the heart of the listener. That's real magic!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I suppose this is an illustration of the old Latin phrase: "De gustibus non est disputandum." (There's no accounting for tastes.) I have performed Bob Neale's "The Last Dream" (The Magic Mirror, Hermetic Press, 2002) hundreds of times in my Halloween show, and the ending has never failed to elicit a vocal response from the audience -- and the response was never "So what."

Life, Death and Other Card Tricks is highly recommended. There is of course material in it that is not in line with my style of performance. Nevertheless, there is such a wealth of effects and presentations, and Bob draws inspiration from such a vast variety of sources -- everything from Zen parables to the tales of Edgar Allan Poe -- that I find interesting ideas whenever I browse the pages of that book. If someone is willing to part with his copy, I'd suggest you grab it!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I thought that the magic was poor. I even thought about throwing the book away! I have it somewhere.

Maybe I should look at it again and use the patter with effects that I already do. I guess I better go find it and give it one more try before I toss it in the trash can.

Ray
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
I got the book when I was new in Magic. It gave me ideas and examples on how to structure a effect with a story. It help me to go past,the "see this, watch this and wasn't that great" type of presentations. The tricks may not fit or be what you are looking for but read beyond the tricks. Also some of what is in the book may not fit your persona. A great help in developing story magic and making magic mean something, beyond the "fooled you" concept.

Craig
craig colombel
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On 2006-06-13 05:34, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I thought that the magic was poor. I even thought about throwing the book away! I have it somewhere.

Q.E.D.

May I suggest that rather than throwing the book away, you give the book to someone who might appreciate it -- say, mackmania?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Actually, if you want to throw it away - I'll take it Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I don't actually own the book, but it's something that I've been seriously considering getting. At his lecture, Eugene Burger performed an effect called 13 for Dinner (at least that's what I think it was called) that I later learned was from that book. I really enjoyed the way the Six Card Repeat was presented through that presentation. Maybe someone here who has it could tell me how the other effects in the book relate to that one, presentation-wise?
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Huge fan of this book. Even if you never perform one piece from it but pay attention to its lessons, it can still improve your magic.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
E-inc, the effect you describe is Bob's "Thirteen at Table." As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a wide range of thematic territory covered in the book, inspired by diverse sources in literature, folklore and elsewhere. The tone of the material runs the gamut from light to dark -- some of it is funny, some of it is philosophical, and some of it is rather macabre, as in Bob's presentation for Six Card Repeat.
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
That was one of the worst magic books I ever bought in my life. I couldn't imagine torturing a lay audience with the crap in that book nor could I imagine sitting through it as a spectator. I would probably end up shooting someone - possibly the magician.
thePrisoner
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of thePrisoner
I'm surprised that anyone would not find someting of interest in Robert Neal's book, if only as a way of stimulating the the mind to conjure up some new presentational ideas. While I agree that some of the material may only find favour with a few I found many of the presentational frames to be highly memorable which has to be an asset in contrast to the more usual expository 'patter' favoured in much of magic.For those interested may I suggest Pentalogy by R. Shane as another book well worth studying (it is packed with novel presentations..... I haven't been able to put the thing down for days!!)