The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Magic Café Tech Help Area :: New mentalist forum :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Curious... about the Banquet Room.
I see I now have about 50 (although I could have responded to EVERTHING and have had about 1,000) and from Mr. Brooks last post that is enough to get one into the Banquet Room. When I click on it from the main menu it just brings me BACK to the main menu... some help please...

I'm all for keeping the discussion of non-marketed secrets just that.. but if the
"number of posts thing" doesn't work to log on... perhaps some common/uncommon question and answer method... or am I just trying to enter incorrectly?

from a prior FFFF invitee....
Bryn Reynolds
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Are you clicking on the text that says "Banquet Room" or are you clicking one of the forums in the Banquet Room (Secret sessions, etc.)? If you click the "Banquet Room" text, all that does is collapse the other forum lists for the other categories. You have to click one of the forum names just under the Banquet Room heading to get into those forums.

The trick is, you can't even see the Banquet Room forum titles unless you already have 50 posts and have access. So if you're seeing them, it means you have access.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I'm just over 50 posts. When I click on the "Banquet Room" it brings up a menu (no pun intended!) of the same rooms/posts as are in the home page. I think what I was referring to in my first post on this topic for was how to access to secret sessions if "Penny" goes there...I guess that's my question...thanks..
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
A step in the right direction...

1. But why is 50 posts the criteria?
(And are those 50 posts in the mentalists forum or just anywhere on the Café?)

A child can make 50 posts...a layperson can make 50 posts....a packet trick jokeplayer can make 50 posts....how does that qualify them to gain access to what presumably will be an "insider" area for discussion of mentalism?

2. I take it this means mentalism discussions in the current forum should be limited to extremely general postings and pointing inquirers in the direction of published resources without conveying other specific information???

Please clarify. Smile
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Hmm - when I try to log in I get a "cant find magic Café/login" message.
I can post by logging on at the end of a message- like this- but can't get to the Banquet room (and I've been there before)help- help!
Patrick
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Quote:
On 2002-11-20 18:27, mindhunter wrote:
I'm just over 50 posts. When I click on the "Banquet Room" it brings up a menu (no pun intended!) of the same rooms/posts as are in the home page.

Yes, it is supposed to do that, as I said. Clicking on the "Banquet Room" text will reload the index page, with all but the Banquet Room forum listing collapsed. To enter one of the Banquet Room forums, you must click on the forum title, NOT the "Banquet Room" text.

Quote:
Patrick wrote:

hmm- when I try to log in I get a "cant find magic Café/login" message.
I can post by logging on at the end of a message- like this- bur cant get to the Banquet room (and I've been there before)
help- help!

I can't tell what the error message you're getting is from what you wrote - there is no "cant find magic Café/login" message anywhere in the scripts. If you're getting an error logging in, it could be due to your cookies being corrupt, or possibly you have too many cookies in your cookies folder and it's confusing the scripts.

Try deleting your Magic Café cookies, then open a new browser window and try to log in again.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
mystic1 wrote:

"A step in the right direction...

A child can make 50 posts...a layperson can make 50 posts....a packet trick jokeplayer can make 50 posts....how does that qualify them to gain access to what presumably will be an "insider" area for discussion of mentalism?

2. I take it this means mentalism discussions in the current forum should be limited to extremely general postings and pointing inquirers in the direction of published resources without conveying other specific information?

Please clarify
" Smile

---

First, while not the perfect solution, it's about the best we can do here.

We changed the Our new arrivals area, so newcomers can no longer say hello fifty times to reach the 50 post quota needed for The Banquet Room. The same goes for the I want to see the manager, and the Cafe tech help area.

In addition, when members (especially newbies) go about the Café simply saying; "Me too" or "I agree", we delete these type of posts asap. Smile

Contrary to popular belief, we do our very best to keep the Café well moderated and civil, as well as keeping new members in line.

The new forum Inner thoughts was created especially for those into the art and practice of mentalism, where they might discuss things a little more at length as it were. Much like the Secret sessions allows a little more freedom for magicians to talk about gaffs and such. Smile

Is it perfect? Of course not, but then again neither is The Magic Café. But we are trying. The Café was created for entertainers, and specifically magicians. I included the mentalism area because I know there is a great interest in that sort of thing. I never meant this site to be just for mentalists, but for folks in several areas to enjoy. Honestly, when our mentalism area became so popular, I was shocked.

The 50 post requirement is just to give us time to see how new members act here, nothing more. The idea of making the Inner thoughts forum a Private forum did cross my mind. In that context, only members who were invited could have access. But honestly, who decides whom to invite? What qualifications should one have? This opens up an even larger can of worms.

I have said this before, The Magic Café is a Free site, open to anyone interested in the art. Most (if not all) the hacks that come here leave after a short time. You see, we have rules here, and they are enforced.

In the end, folks will either post, or they will not. If they care to participate, that is a wonderful thing, if not, there are whole websites devoted to just mentalism. The Web is a wonderful resource.

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks