The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Betchas :: What is your favorite bar betcha? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
bigdaddymagic
View Profile
New user
Hazelridge, MB, Canada
29 Posts

Profile of bigdaddymagic
I would have to say my favorite betcha
is I bet you a drink that I can jump higher then the bar! (4 Feet high)
I'm not a lilte guy, so people think I can't jump that high.
right away I have a mark taking on the bet.
I get everyone to stand back a bit and jump about 4 Inchs off the ground.
I then trun to the bar and say your turn.
A bar can't jump so, I take my shot.
Thanks'

Donny
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
I don't know if this one has appeared yet but it is the one in which a dollar, etc. is held by you and the victim holds his finger and thumb apart. You hold the dollar in between his finger and thumb and he must catch the dollar when you drop it. Physiologically it is nearly impossible since the message takes too long to go from the visual receptors, through the brain, and to the fingers. Simply put they cannot react fast enough.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
Another is for the pool table and is little known. Throw is a concept in pool where there is a slight pull to one ball when another makes contact. This is one reason why rail shots are difficult. Place two balls touching each other and the rail on one of the long sides of the pool table and near one end. The cue ball needs to strike the rear ball as in a combination shot and sink the other ball in the corner pocket at the other end, same side, of the pool table. In other words the ball to be sunk must travel down the rail, past the side pocket, and into the corner pocket. You must strike the side of the rear ball and not the rail and side of the ball as in a normal rail shot. I hope this is all clear because what will happen if you don't know the secret is that throw will cause the object ball to sink into the cushion minutely and it will travel away from the rail enough to miss the corner pocket. To sink it successfully you must put saliva on your thumb secretly before you set up the shot for yourself and that saliva is the point of contact between the two balls on the rail. This decreases the friction between the balls enough to successfully complete the shot.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2006-04-15 18:51, airship wrote:
Acmp:
That's a good one - you drink from the 'punt'. Smile
But my favorite is still the one first mentioned in this thread - turning over the 'next' card. There's nothing like the mark thinking he has you by the short hairs.

I taught this one to my granddaughters when they were 3 & 4 and they not only scammed the neighborhood kids out of their allowances but took their 65 year old grandfather, who is a lawyer, for 20 bucks. Everyone got their money back except the lawyer.... hahaha
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 12:14, soccergod wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 19:08, Rotten wrote:
I betcha $5.00 this quarter will land heads on the pool table. If they are gamblers they will take it thinkiing they have a fifty-fifty chance. Wrong.

Im guessing it works in the sense that if it literally lands heads up on the table you win, or if it lands tails up the head in ON the pool table.

The wording would also work for a two sided coin if you enphasize slightly the words 'this quarter'. That way, you could do heads or tails and unless you gave the spectator the quarter to look at, may get by longer in the same bar.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Some great stories here. Thanks.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Tell someone that they can pick a number between one and a trillion and you will be able to guess it. You turn around and write it on a piece of paper. Turn back around and say "Ok I am ready, now I want you to think of a number between one and a trillion." Wait a few seconds and say..."Ok, now are you thinking of one." Of course they will say "Yes I am." Then turn over your paper and show that it says...."1" That is a gag I use in all my shows and it gets real big laughs.
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
First one I ever heard is still a fave if the topic comes up in the neighborhood pub, I bet any amount that I can stand flatfooted and jump higher than the bar, if that isn't difficult enough , I bet that I can jump higher than the bar on one foot, either way it is easy,( by the way I am 66 years old)and have never missed , or lost
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Some funny funny things in here. I have learnt that if I am ever attacked by a lion I should shove a pool ball in it's mouth.

The only bar trick I know works best on a friend.

You wait until they have just bought a nice drink, the more expensive and easily drunk the better. Then bet them a small amount of money, like a dollar that you can drink their entire drink without touching the glass or using a straw or getting your lips wet. They will surely agree to such an impossible task.

Once the bet is made pick up their glass and down their drink.....

They will protest that you cheated, you agree you did.

You owe them one dollar.
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
Quote:
Good trick. Works best if you use a hat instead of a napkin. It will cover the shot glass better. I realize it sounds idiotic...but Reis is correct, they will look every time.

That was in Cheers, by Harry the Hat. He was a great character for a con-man. The con in "Pick a Con... any Con" from start to finish was awesome.

See the end part here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0SdJPXLYY

The old cross-double-cross-triple-cross cross.... or something.

And here is the "can't touch the hat" gag, but I think Harry's rendition is tremendous, however you don't get to drink two beers in this version, you do get two shots. And the bet of a dime could be a buck or $5 I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiK1zHgq3uI

Cheers wasn't one of my favourite shows, by a long shot, but I always remember this con. It was great!
STM70
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of STM70
This is my favorite bar bet. I think it's a very smart way to get some free drinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euL5kGk25xM&feature=related

STM70
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
School for Scoundrels will be releasing a DVD of Chef Anton's The Pool Hustler's Handbook next month.

It contains 50 pool shot "betchas," most of which can be accomplished by a moderately skilled pool player, and many can be accomplished without having ever picked up a pool cue. It also contains a half-hour billiards lesson that will greatly improve your play, and contains some of the real secrets to hustling at pool.

Two other of Chef's pool videos will be released at the same time--Chef Anton's current trick shot show was taped at Soapy Smith Night at the Magic Castle in 2007, and a DVD of his historic performance VHS video of the trick shots that twice won him the title of US Trick Shot Champion, the "Magical Menu of Pool Ball Wizardry."

All three of these DVDs and a DVD Performance/Explanation of his original close-up magic will be out sometime in March.
gfdiamond
View Profile
Regular user
sweden
198 Posts

Profile of gfdiamond
Pick the best looking chick in the bar, preferably with a group of her friends.

Do a couple of tricks and then you are going to make something really magical happen.

Get her to grab on to the bar, tell her to close her eyes and count down to ten.

As she is doing that, mouth to her friends that you are leaving. When she opens her eyes, her friends will tell her you 'disappeared'.

Gets a great laugh, brings the cute chick down to everyone elses level and lets her know you are in control. Good looking girls like that. Gives you a good opportunity later to go back and have a laugh with her.

Usually works, sometimes you get lucky. You can even bet a drink if you want to be cheeky.

Regards,

Geoff.
Check me out on Google. Geoff Diamond Magician.
alexoid
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of alexoid
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 05:54, jonzola wrote:
A great way to win drinks is to bet that the chump cannot do as you do. Tell them that you will do nothing fancy or try anything tricky.
If they can follow along you will buy them a shot.
If they can not do as you do , they will buy you the shot.
I also always tell them that they will also walkaway with the knowledge of how to get free drinks from suckers. This gets a laugh.

Order 2 shots of what ever....sit across from the sucker. A shot infront of each of you.

Place your hands flat on the table, thumbs touching, with the shot in between.

Have the spectator do the same and inform them you are about to begin.
You lift your right hand up and place it palm down on top of the shot.
They lift thier right hand to follow suit.
You replace your hand to where it was.
So do they.
You place your left hand on top and back to the start again.
They do as you did.
You lift the shot with your right hand and bring it to your mouth and toss it back.
they do the same.
slam the shotglass down on the table face down.
they do the same.
Tap the glass with your finger twice and turn it right side up.
So do they.
You pick up the glass and spit out the shot that you have kept in your mouth with out swallowing.
They, and all around you, will burst out laughing.

Having them do as you do....well, you can do anything...I like to do a couple of hand moves before taking the shot....but a lot more after before spitting it back out. Time misdirection sort of thing.
I have done this dozens of times and they all swallow when they drink. It gets great reactions from the sucker and spectators

This is my favorate, too- it's very visual and gets a good laugh!
Moralz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Moralz
Two words danny, its called scam school created by brian brushwood. Awesome site with loads of bar betchas, and even some tricks one can use as comedy in a regular magic act.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2010-02-23 18:23, gfdiamond wrote:
Pick the best looking chick in the bar, preferably with a group of her friends.

Do a couple of tricks and then you are going to make something really magical happen.

Get her to grab on to the bar, tell her to close her eyes and count down to ten.

As she is doing that, mouth to her friends that you are leaving. When she opens her eyes, her friends will tell her you 'disappeared'.

Gets a great laugh, brings the cute chick down to everyone elses level and lets her know you are in control. Good looking girls like that. Gives you a good opportunity later to go back and have a laugh with her.

Usually works, sometimes you get lucky. You can even bet a drink if you want to be cheeky.

Regards,

Geoff.

You sound like a demon with the ladies.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Okay haven't seen this posted yet...........

The bet is someone can't slap you across the face while you stand with your toes touching one end of a piece of copy while the sucker has his toes on the opposite end of the same piece of paper.

Let him know he'll have ten seconds to slap you across the face but his toes must always be touching the paper. Your toes also have to be touching the same piece of paper and you can't where anything on your head, you can't move & must stand up straight with your hands behind your back.

Once the bet is made take the paper and place it in the middle of a doorway (door is open). You have the sucker stand on the side of the door that opens into him (first close the door once he's on the correct side) while you stand on the side that opens away from you.

Every time I've done this the sucker refuses to even begin as he knows he's beat immediately since he can't take his toes off the paper and can't punch through the door.

Not sure where I first heard of this but I've used it successfully three or four times.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Dai Hard
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Dai Hard
Quote:
On 2008-03-08 18:48, Donavon wrote:
Place your hand on your head. Your elbow will be out to the side. Essentially the bet is that I can hold my hand against my head and you can't push it in an upward direction off of my head.It's just true. For some reason your arm will break before it comes off your head if you are pushing down hard enough. Give it a try. You'll see.

I can't remember what it's called or even where I saw it, but where can I learn the one where like 4 or 5 guys can't push you backwards?
Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I like the bar bet that uses a book of matches and a nickel. Remove one match from the book, bend one out of the book, and balance them with their heads touching with the nickel under the free match to look something like this: _/\ (in my diagram the underscore is the matchbook. The two matches form a sort of teepee and the nickel is under the free match.) Bet the mark he cannot take the nickel out from underneath the match without it falling over. When he gives up simply take another match from another book of matches, light it, and ignite the two match heads that are touching. This fuses the match heads together and the nickel can be EASILY slid out from under the match without it falling over because it's now attached to the other match! Tons of free drinks with this one.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I really, really, really like the old "do as I do" with a shot. The best part is that after you trick someone with it, you can get them again the following week by spitting twice.