The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sponge? balls (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 15:19, STEVIE D wrote:
I knew 'magicman 101' would get in on this from a previous thread. here is what I'm trying to say. for the best part if you have a good presentation and are vgood at what you do there is no need to call them sponge. ive had several people dissapointed when you tell them that. the fact is when they open their hands the ball expand so quick it looks impossible. its like saying normal deck or normal coins, stop trying to over prove. also with the kids its all in presentation and the fact you try to argue back just gives the kids more ammo.

Previous thread?? What was that?
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Paper money, cotton rope, silk hankies, leather wallet, stainless steel scissors... Unless we want to call attention to the materials usd in construction (and possibly raise curiosity), it's usually best to keep things simple.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
And I think it's gonna be alright
Yeah, the worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball
-Cyrkle

Don't know what it has to do with this thread, but I thought I'd toss it in.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I usually do 3D Rabbits, so the name issue doesn't come up often. I hadn't thought about the fact that calling them spongeballs would tip the method. I mean... isn't it kind of obvious to everyone that they are made of sponge? They KNOW you can squish them, but that still doesn't explain where they came from when they saw your hand empty.

One last thing... do you measure up the spectators prior to a performance to determine if they are "sponge-worthy?" Smile
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you Mr.Darrow for sharing that gem by Mr.Asprin.Used judiciously(with the 10 count) it should be a real hoot!(I just tried it,and the timing is perfect) Best.

Rich
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Not much to do with naming the darn things, but (I wish I could credit the right person) I was told that the end of your sponge routine should never be squeezing all your items together in your hand to stuff them back into your pocket (kinda tips the method, doncha know).
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&20
This is the previous thread where I mentioned it. if there is one thing I have learnt from my mentors in the magic circle is don't overprove or bring any undue attention to the props you use
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
In the past I called them "balls". I always got umm interesting comments after I'd say that. I now don't call them anything.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I have a friend who (after slowly putting one sponge ball in his hand a la retention vanish) asks the spectator how many balls he has. He can't figure out why the answer given is "Two, probably..."
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Some great ideas. I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on actually calling them sponge?
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
All jokes aside... I don't use the term sponge.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
As I produce them from a purse frame, I merely refer to them as "three little balls" I get requests to do the "red ball trick" or "the ball trick" I never mention sponge.

David
fasr eddie
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of fasr eddie
I call them stress balls
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I don't refer to them as anything.

I used to use Carl Andrews' line: "This is eenie and this is meeny, the fastest nerf balls in the world."

then you introduce miney.

then you finish by asking, "Do you know why their called eenie, meenie, and miney? cause theyre aint no mo..."

wakka wakka.

Now I use this:

I take them out and say "aren't they beautiful? take a look. enjoy yourself."

the weird thing about these is I'm a grown man and I carry these around....
the other wierd thing is if I take one here and one here...

It's on.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
I put them on the table and ask the spectator what they see. Inevitably, they say a ball. And what else would they say?
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
One time when I was doing table hopping, I was just at the end of my act for this one table the guy at the table yells out “wow how did he do that” and that got the attention of the other tables, even the table with a group of ladies that called me over to show them magic. I’m at the table and I say “well good evening ladies I would like to show you my magic balls” I didn’t meant it to be funny but my walk to their table I was thinking “what can I do for them” then at the table I thought oh yes I’ll do the sponge ball. Then when I said “well good evening ladies I would like to show you my magic balls” they broke out laughing, all at the same time and it went over my head. It took a few second for me to get their laughing and when I took out the purse frame they started laughing again.

So since that day, they will always be MY magic balls.
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
I first have to determine if an audience is "sponge worthy" Smile
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Just let the magic soak in, don't feel squeezed and don't let cheap friends sponge off your great ideas...
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 17:42, fasr eddie wrote:
I call them stress balls

I like this the best. I think I will start to use that.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
"Safety rocks".

Doug