The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Multiplying Bottles Routine (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cooldad1
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cooldad1
Okay it's unanimous! After reading several discussions on the Café' everyone agrees that Ken Brooke developed the best comedy routine using the Multiplying Bottles. Can anyone guide me to where I can buy a video or a book that either shows, explains or discusses his routine?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The line I like with this routine is "I only had one drink ---- from this one and this one and this one..."

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
marcofrezza
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of marcofrezza
Ken's Multiplying Bottle Routine can be found in his book "Ken Brooke, The Unique Years" His ENTIRE routine is explained there. Worth the price of admission. I got my copy about 15 years ago from Denny at Denny and Lee. Hope that helps cooldad1.

Best,

M
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
There's also a routine (but, I’ve been told, not quite the same one) in Ken Brooke’s “Multiplying Martini” booklet.

If you go to youtube, you can find performances by Lance Burton, Pete Biro, Denny, and many others which are more-or-less the Brooke routine.

In the Brook routine, the performer places one tube over the glass then starts to place the other tube over the bottle, but finds a second bottle was already inside the tube. That second bottle placed to one side. Later, the performer sets one tube to one side and works with just one tube. The glass changes into a bottle the bottle into a glass. But this requires an extra bottle. This is repeated several times.

But don’t just try to copy the routines from youtube. In the book he goes into some details, like the placement of the bottles, which you might miss if you just copy what you see on youtube.

Thom
marcofrezza
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of marcofrezza
Yeah Ken's Book is great, and goes into super detail as to the choreography of each and every bottle, down to the T. It's as far as I know the most detailed description of the routine in print.

Never heard of the Multiplying Martini Book Thom. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that one. Thanks for the tip.

Best,

M
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
lochmann4522
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lochmann4522
Romhany´s multiplying bottles is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpHuklV-uk
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is my take on the Multiplying Bottles, it is the Ken Brooke routine, using Ken Brooke bottles:

Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Awesome Pop Haydn!
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Pop Haydn is the best!!
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Man I saw something similar to this stuff a couple of days ago. I can't remember his name. All I know is he had a fez on in the video.

Anybody know?

Josh
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, JoshDude849 wrote:
Man I saw something similar to this stuff a couple of days ago. I can't remember his name. All I know is he had a fez on in the video.

Anybody know?

Josh

That’s most likely Tommy Cooper that Gnosis posted link to:

https://youtu.be/L9UMvfKBaZI
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Here is my version of the Ken Brooke routine:

I think you need to get the audience interested in "how the tubes work." The more they think they know what is going on, the more confused and cartoony their thinking gets as things develop. They need to believe the bottles are glass. They should seem and sound heavy and solid. Once they feel comfortable, that is when things go screwy.

The first thing the audience will think is that you are getting bottles from under the table, from behind or through some kind of trapdoor. It is important that the audience can see under the table and there are no places for the bottles to hide. You need to figure out what the magic is doing. Why things are happening the way they are...

I think every bottle needs a reason--you shouldn't just produce them because you can.
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Ken Brooke was a very dynamic performer, he had a lot of 'address', you didn't snooze while Ken was on. I only saw him perform his full act once but I do recall he came on with dancing cane, went through items such as 'Popeye pips' and finished up with the bottles which was a great closer for him. I don't recall now how long he took over his routine but he didn't hang around, it was, as I say, dynamic, so he wasn't putting the tubes down too gently he was going at it with all guns blazing. At least that's how I remember it from going on 60 years ago.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
So.... here's my genuine question about the multiplying bottles.... it's something that's always bothered me about them...... the question is: does it honestly really fool anyone? And if it does fool someone, is there less than half the audience that are not thinking, "they've got a bunch of hollow bottles that stack"?

If your answer to the 1st question is yes, and you're correct, then obviously its a great piece of entertaining magic.

If your answer to the 1st question is no... then in many performers' hands it can still be a great piece of entertainment.... but it wouldn't be a great piece of entertaining magic.

Maybe that doesn't matter? ..... but even it doesn't matter, I think it's helpful for the performer to know/realise/understand how the audience views what they are doing.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2019, Sealegs wrote:
So.... here's my genuine question about the multiplying bottles.... it's something that's always bothered me about them...... the question is: does it honestly really fool anyone? And if it does fool someone, is there less than half the audience that are not thinking, "they've got a bunch of hollow bottles that stack"?

If your answer to the 1st question is yes, and you're correct, then obviously its a great piece of entertaining magic.

If your answer to the 1st question is no... then in many performers' hands it can still be a great piece of entertainment.... but it wouldn't be a great piece of entertaining magic.

Maybe that doesn't matter? ..... but even it doesn't matter, I think it's helpful for the performer to know/realise/understand how the audience views what they are doing.

That was my opinion until I started doing them. I was wrong. They fool people really well. Listen to the responses in my video--people are really fooled. They start out thinking they understand things, and then quickly it falls apart and they are truly fooled.