The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silks in a Detergent Box (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
max mariner
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of max mariner
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2007, Robert Kohler wrote:
I'll second that - holes and all! Also, it would be fairly easy to attach a computer generated logo to the front of the box with spraymount or glue stick for the super authentic look..............

OKAY that's SOMETHING NEW HERE
max mariner
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of max mariner
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2020, max mariner wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2007, Robert Kohler wrote:
I'll second that - holes and all! Also, it would be fairly easy to attach a computer generated logo to the front of the box with spraymount or glue stick for the super authentic look..............

OKAY that's SOMETHING NEW HERE

---------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
780 Posts

Profile of TStone
I debuted a new handling 2 months ago. Ungaffed silks, and ungaffed carton. Felt pretty nice to end clean and examinable.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I believe this is call SOFT SOAP.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I used to perform Soft Soap regularly in my childrens show many years ago. It played big every time! In fact, I liked it so much that I acquired a couple of vintage versions of it and a more recent version several years back.

It is indeed a classic! By the way, after tearing up an uncountable number of detergent boxes with each performance, I got smart and stopped. Instead, I let the audience see through the box and then folded it flat. Beats trying to get replacement boxes! In the seventies, it was easy to get quantities of those small boxes but became rather difficult at one point.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have used this many times. I have had to make my own over the years and call it SPOT OUT. I'm in a Spot and Need Out I have extra load gimmicks made up. Perhaps I should sell the ones I'll never use. --- I understand the boxes are available again. They are not hard to make but buying is certainly easier.

I use silk with holes in them rather than with text on them and have to wash the SPOTS out.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, Bob Sanders wrote:
I have used this many times. I have had to make my own over the years and call it SPOT OUT. I'm in a Spot and Need Out I have extra load gimmicks made up. Perhaps I should sell the ones I'll never use. --- I understand the boxes are available again. They are not hard to make but buying is certainly easier.

I use silk with holes in them rather than with text on them and have to wash the SPOTS out.

With the holes I think it's not match with " Soft Soap " cleaning theme.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My theme is not that I am washing out dirty spots. I don't call it Soft Soap.

It fits my routine because holes have been shot in the silks.

Actually it is the ending to my Sympathetic Silks routine.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
756 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, Magical Moments wrote:
I used to perform Soft Soap regularly in my childrens show many years ago. It played big every time! In fact, I liked it so much that I acquired a couple of vintage versions of it and a more recent version several years back.

It is indeed a classic! By the way, after tearing up an uncountable number of detergent boxes with each performance, I got smart and stopped. Instead, I let the audience see through the box and then folded it flat. Beats trying to get replacement boxes! In the seventies, it was easy to get quantities of those small boxes but became rather difficult at one point.

I just added a few pieces of Velcro on the side where the box is put together. Show it open at the end by opening it completely and show both sides.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
That is a good idea Dan but...perhaps that makes the box seemed gimmicked/prepared in some way to your audience. They have never seen a box do that!
mtchdtn
View Profile
New user
Southeast U.S.
3 Posts

Profile of mtchdtn
Anyone interested in silk hanks for Soft Soap? I got a message from Tim Sonefelt at Wonder Imagery... "Soft Soap - so its been YEARS since the handkerchiefs with this classic trick were silk. A friend, Mark Tripp, wants a set that would be silk. We are going to print them for him, but if anyone else wants a set, and we get enough, the price would drop for everyone! Let me know your interest below so we can guard how many we would print to know how much they would be. Thanks!" If you are interested, contact Tim at Wonder Imagery.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For those interested in making their own props, I may be able to help you.

First I assume that you know I am the magicians' silk importer.

The better news is that I have several of the gimmicks for this trick already made up and in stock. These are 18" real 100% China silks with the best hems available. The gimmicks are solid color silks over a hard plastic tube. Yes, they fit the Box and don't crush like the others. I use them in my shows. I call the trick SPOT OUT. (I shoot holes in mine.)

Existing gimmick colors are red, blue, orange, black, turquoise, green and purple. Of course I can supply the other 18" silks used in the trick. It is easy enough to make your own boxes.

Interested?

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I find that making my own boxes also lets me plug my sponsor.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Something to think about.

Soft Soap is totally pointless in the 21st Century. No one seems to understand, that the trick was invented when there was actually detergent sold in boxes at grocery stores. My boxes are actual All boxes. Today, every thing is put in plastic containers for liquid soap.

Performing the effect was magical all on it's own, because the audience actually have the All Soap detergent at home to do the laundry. So when you perform the trick, and display the All Box, people know it is an ordinary box they have and use every week at home.

All detergent came in powder form in the box. No such thing as liquid soap. So how are you going to make and print a box design when there are none that are at the grocery store. I just found a small supply of All boxes in my storage container of magic props. The are from the 1970's. The silks that came with my the instructions had different color Lip stick prints in different colors. Never cared for that theme when I was a teenager. Now I just thought of patter thought, that Mom use to plot her lips after putting on lip stick on a scarf, no Kleenex back then, you had to use a handkerchief. Gee, only took me 50 years to come up with a patter theme.

My gimmick was a silk covered toilet paper tube. So we know where that has been!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I've always had affection for this routine, although I've never performed it.

John Mulholland's version in his book, where you are silk dyeing (rather than cleaning silks) still seems viable.

But cardboard packaging is still present (in perhaps limited form) for cleaning powders... particularly TIDE.

Also, smaller boxes of various brands, are still sold at laundromats in single use sized packaging.

Just my thoughts this morning!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Bill Hegbli noticed the change in product. I want to see what those little packets can do. The big plastic bottles, jugs really, are pretty colorful. Can we gaff those? I don't know. Thinking out loud.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The cardboard box never disappeared. Where you shop has changed.

(Ask an old Marketing Professor!)
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I still do it old way. I tell the kids this is how I clean my silks when I am traveling on the road. It still play well. I did for years before I realized that the gimmick went inside of the hanky. It sure is a lot easier that way.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
These Borax boxes are suitable . Still available in stores or via Amazon. Box dimensions are 9.7" high x 7.7" wide

https://www.amazon.com/20-Mule-Team-Laun......NBJZ2F8/

There's a certain style to ripping open the box to reveal that it's empty at the end (no duplicate handkerchiefs as the audience suspects) , but you can of course set up the box with velcro tabs so it can be flipped open and drop apart to show the interior empty , so it can be re-used for many performances and avoid the expense of buying replacement boxes.

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
This Arm & Hammer product would also be suitable . Box dimensions 9.4" high x 6.2" wide

https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Super-......29XNTEU/

So, yes, these boxes are starting to become less common than they once were, but still not a complete anachronism (sort of like newspapers or paper money or coins ... anyone giving up performing with those items just yet ?)

Click here to view attached image.