The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silks in a Detergent Box (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I'll second that - holes and all! Also, it would be fairly easy to attach a computer generated logo to the front of the box with spraymount or glue stick for the super authentic look..............
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thank you gentlemen! You flatter me.

Often I have considered offering the props for the routine for sale. In short runs it is dreadfully expensive to make. Since I began doing that routine in the 70s when I lived in Arkansas, I have been through several sets of props. A set lasts about fifty shows before needing repair. There is also the opportunity to have many different color combinations.

The box has certainly been an obstacle to making the routine commercially feasible.

Being in a "spot" and needing "out" just seems to fit many of my situations in show business!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
themagicman84
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of themagicman84
What are some good routines and patter suggestions for this trick....can you use a change bag instead of the cardboard boxes if you were using it for a kids show?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Change bag is how I get to "Spot Out". We are trying to do a flag, Blendo, etc. but when I shoot the the bag full of silks I just get holes in the silks! Thus, "Spot Out" is my solution. We wash the holes out! Then the Blendo works.

The by-play with the box is a huge part of the act. I would not give up the box.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
John Mulholland (Book of Magic) used a box to dye silks, rather than wash them.

Tommy Windsor's Popcorn Boxes were designed to be used again and again. You can used it to wash or dye a single silk. You can use it in combination with other methods to wash or dye several silks, then wash or dye the one you accidentally dropped. Or you could fix up a soft soap box to be used over and over again.

One thing you can do with a Windsor popcorn box that you can't do with other methods that I am familiar with, is to use it for spot remover. Put spot remover labels on the box. In performance, show a silk with dirty spots. Put it in the box. Then take it out. The spots have seen removed and in there place are holes!

Does anybody pour a pitcher of sudsy milk-like liquid into the box to wash the hankies? Or do you just "dry clean" them? If memory serves (and mine seemed to serve less and less), Windsor used a pitcher and claimed that you could "use any carton you find laying around the house" or something like that. Hence a popcorn box was as good as any.

I don't know if it's still in print, but there as a book of tricks you could do with the Windsor box.

I guess there's an obvious Gospel application to soft soap, with or without the liquid. I go a bit further than the obvious application, saying that since we share good news with our friends, even if its a new washday miracle, we should certainly share the good news of Jesus who can wash away or sins.

Thom
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In my e-Book on Dollar Store Silk Dying Gimmicks (Book 2 on my site) I describe how to make a Soft Soap variation using a box of detergent from a Dollar Store. You can use it to do a series of effects normally only done with expensive prop washing machines, such as put in a child's socks, blue and green, for instance, and when you wash them, they develop holes, then become dotted or striped with the opposite colors, or the colors blend, or the socks shrink or grow, until at last the socks come out clean. I used to work this with handkerchiefs, but kids don't carry handkerchiefs these days, so clothing items work better. For adults, I do the effect with men's neckties.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Many good ideas here for that effect!
S.Patrick Smith have a nice performance of it in his "Kidology" video!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is a fabulous trick. It is especially useful where you are extremely dependent on visual cues.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Any idea where to get custom boxes, or even just plain white ones?

Thom
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thom,

I wish you well. This has been a problem for me too and I have handmade my own for several decades. I use Dollar Tree poster board.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If I was looking for custom or blank boxes for Soft Soap, I might ask Steve Varro at http://www.gospelmagic.com , the company formerly known as Dock Haley Gospel Magic. After all, they produce some custom gospel-themed boxes for this trick -- The All Have Sinned Box and The J.O.Y. Box.

I haven't asked Steve personally about custom or blank boxes. It's just a thought.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I, too, have made them out of poster board; but I'm not very good at it. I've also used commercially available popcorn boxes, then cover part of it with computer art. The boxes are getting harder to find; popped popcorn now mostly comes in bags or tubs.

Thom
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The soft soap boxes are now being made...and in color.

I can order them... pm me.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Magic Ian,

What are the dimensions of this box?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians

Don't know, but you can get an idea from the picture.
The set sells for $15 plus shipping comes with 6 boxes and all the cloths.
Normal soft soap sets are $34

Refills are $6
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
These are the same size as the SPLASH boxes but the cardboard is very flimsy.One must use care when handling them. They tear too easily as well, but the price is good at $1 each. Still prefer the SPLASH boxes.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-04-10 00:55, Dr. Solar wrote:
These are the same size as the SPLASH boxes but the cardboard is very flimsy.One must use care when handling them. They tear too easily as well, but the price is good at $1 each. Still prefer the SPLASH boxes.

Doc

Since this effect is meant to destroy after each performance, tearing the box has not been an issue. If you are re-using the box..then of course. I always do the tear-up convincer.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Unless you do tear up the box to prove it is empty at the end of the trick, the trick is compromised for effectiveness.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Boxes are available again through member Magicians here on the Magic Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=11617

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
As a child, I remember seeing a clown perform an effect similar to this where two adult-sized white gloves were used, one by him and one by a boy helping him. Each had a soap box and the gloves were placed inside. After all the 'washing the gloves and using the magic wand to stir it up' byplay, the clown pulled out the glove in his box, which was normal. The child pulled his glove out, but it had shrunk to a much smaller glove.

Just out of curiosity - is this an spin-off of Soft Soap or is it something totally different? I assume it goes by a different name, either way. I have done Soft Soap in the past, I can see how that effect can be made to work using Soft Soap as a starting point, but I am just curious.