The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
Sooner or later the question will come here, like in all other fora : which books are recommended... this time for the storyteller. Why not, because this material IS exeptional in its own right.
So... Here I go. Feel free to add to this (temporary list)

1. Sheherazade (Borodin)
2. Once upon a time (Punx)
3. Egyptian Magic (Ed Solomon)
4. Sound FX (Ed Solomon)
5. The practioner (Eugene Poinc)
6. Capricornian Tales (Chelman)
7. The art of storytelling magic (Carl Herron)
8. The "strange magic" series by Shane
9. A darker light (Ronald Dayton)

Coming soon :
The garden of strange (Caleb Strange)
Final Curtain (Borodin)

Err... There must be more, no ?
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
"Life, Death and Other Card Tricks" by Robert E. Neale
"Tricks of the Imagination" by Robert E. Neale

By the way: "Coming soon" for "Final Curtain" is not appropriate, because in German language the book is already available.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
German language the book is already available.

Yeah, I always forget about that European minority group. I live in Belgium by the way ! Smile
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I wrote this elsewhere, but will restate since it fits. I got to spend a couple of days with Bill Palmer a couple of weeks ago when he was in Nashville. He had the German edition with him and described some of the routines for me...I can't wait! Borodin is a genius!

As for your list, I would have to add Eugene's "Spirit Theater" since there is so much in there on the presentation aspect of magic.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Joe Lantiere has compiled a nice bibliography of "bizarre" books. Most of them fit here. You can find it on the DragonSkull site: www. dragonskull.co.uk

Mark
What would Wavy do?
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Another good book that has its basis in the stories is "Card Stories" by Ariel Fraelich (sp?). Wonderful ideas in that book to make a lot of good magic better.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Coming Soon" is definitely not appropriate for "Final Curtain."

It is here!!!!! http://www.adessoverlag.com/curtain.htm

There are 12 routines that are not found in the German edition.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Manfredo
View Profile
New user
Nuernberg/Germany
93 Posts

Profile of Manfredo
Since I´m an owner of the German edition it makes me very courious what is added.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When we were reaching the end of the preparation of the book last year, Ulf realized that if we kept it in the same format as Sheherazade, rather than in the smaller format of the German edition, the book would only be about 250 pages. This would have been considerably shorter than Sheherazade. So he started writing more material.

He added two articles about his views on story magic compared to the views of Punx as well.

The new material includes
Vismay and Wonder -- a story about a boy who discovers astonishment.
The Little Emperor and the Cricket -- in which an invisible cricket manifests itself.
The Rainbow Man -- a story with a close-up light show
The Fountain of Youth -- a story piece based on an idea of Brother Shadow
Hotel Paradiso -- a story/prediction in which a volunteer from the audience thinks of a famous female lover and receives a bouquet of flowers from her male counterpart.
Young Love -- a routine in which the presenter reveals the name of a lady's first love.
The Seance -- a haunted Ouija board reveals a murderer.
The Tyrant -- a spooky presentation for an effect similar to "Body Language."
The Game of Fate -- a routine based upon Deddy Corbuzier's "Free Will" principle. The Cards Do Not Lie -- a spooky fortune-telling routine that takes place in postwar Germany
Spooky Inn -- Borodin's presentation of Punx's "Haunted Key."
Erica -- A long-lost photograph of an old girl friend disappears under mysterious circumstances.

Some of these are routines he presented for Carlhorst Meier's Mindnight Magic Workshops. He was reluctant to release them, but decided that it was the right time. A few of these are in the process of being marketed, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Manfredo
View Profile
New user
Nuernberg/Germany
93 Posts

Profile of Manfredo
That´s great. Thank you.
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
Another book is some shadowy paths and byways bi brother shadow and I'm not sure if this one too the stark chronicles is a interesting set too.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are wonderful books of stories from all over the world out there, and also books on technique in telling and method of story construction.

For the storyteller... why look in the magic shop at all?

When you have the tales to tell, Tarbell rings true differently.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok - check out my review under books in an other thread - PENTOLOGY - I think it will join the ranks of classics....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I guess since this list was first posted, you would need to add Magictales by Leslie Melville, and

Coming Soon... Theatrical Magic by John "Big Daddy Cool" Pyka...Fall 2007. Watch this space for more news... Smile
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Big Daddy's book, edited by Bill Palmer, is now listed on the Leaping Lizards Magic- home site. Looks fantastic! I am also looking forward to the tome " Devil of A Bar and PUb" written by the Scribe. I understand DOABAP T-shirts, coasters etc will also be available in the near future.
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
I would like to add the books and work of Rene Lavand. His storytelling is elegant. Although many of his effects require sleight-of-hand, the stories are what's important. And even though he possesses only one arm, his sleights can be performed by two-armed performers either exactly as he does them or modified to include another hand. He is brilliant and inspiring.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
"The Dark Waltz" - Michael Fraughton
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Baba's wonderful book, VO DO MA GICK, Gede Nibo, the man himself, YES.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I would add ;
'something strange', '13', 'daemons, darklings and doppelgangers' and 'bizarre' all by doc shiels and of coarse 'the shiel's effect'.
'macarbe and mental mysteries', 'handbook of horror', 'devils diary' and 'witches brew', all by charles cameron.
I'm from the other side of the pond and these were the first bizarre books I ever owned... these and complete invocation 1,2 and 3 by maskelyn de mage ( he has other books too some I hear to be very special...) anymore???
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Charles Cameron books, as well as the Tony Sheils books do not have the depth of material that the other books mentioned have. By that, I mean that, for the most part, they don't have fully scripted stories. This is not a disadvantage for the creative story teller. The creative story teller will be able to do that which is necessary to build a script that fits his own style of presentation. I cut my teeth on these books. They have wonderful material in them.

Many of the ideas can be accomplished with much less elaborate props than found in some of the German material, for example.

Punx and Borodin both acknowledged the major contributions that Shiels and Cameron made to the art.

For you Borodin fans in Germany, the additional material that was published in the English edition of Final Curtain is now available in German, as well as a few routines that were not in the English edition. Alex Römer has just published In Vitro by Borodin, which has this additional material. You can contact Alex at http://www.zauberkabinett.com/.

This is definitely worth a look.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC