The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Coloured flames (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
What fuel do you burn to create different coloured flames? Smile
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
I don't know what chemicals they use but I know you can buy additives from theatrefx.com

-Jon
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
In my high school chemistry class there was an experiment using a Bunsen burner and some spray bottles with different solutions in them. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT just go around trying different chemicals. You could seriously injure youself, your property, or somebody else (or their property).

Depending on the solution used, different colors were produced. The teacher set it up as a find the sodium such and such solution, it burned red. The so and so soluion will burn yellow etc...
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
It depends what flames you want to colour. Most of the chemicals should be safe to use on a torch as long as it's not used for fire eating.

Tim
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
This information and much more (about 200 effects) can be found in Modern Chemical Magic by Lippy & Palder. You should be able to pick up a paperback copy for about 6.5 pounds ($10).

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
Check out

Secrets of Hollywood Special Effects
by Robert E. McCarthy

I believe he goes into specific chemicals and their uses for making colored and specialized fire effects.

Again... not for fire eating!!!

It's out of print... but I've seen some used copies available on Amazon.com

Smile
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
This doesn't really apply to your situation, I think, but for fun sometime take a copper pipe and stick it in a garden hose then throw it in a campfire. Very amazing colors.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I have them made up in Green and Magenta. They are not as harmful as some of the metal additives and do not smoke.
Go to the fire section of http://welcome.to/kymystical

Mark Ghia
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I think it's best to go to a college and ask a chemistry teacher. Please play it safe. We don't want any of you to get hurt.

Have a Merry Christmas Smile
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
If you add 1/2 part of Strontium or Lithium Nitrate to 1 part of flash powder you get red smoke. Don't know if this can help.
Jonathan R
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Jonathan R
12th June 2003

Roughly one year ago, Trevor Duffy of South Africa was here in Sydney for a national convention and he was selling flash paper which burnt a light mystic blue colour... Maybe he still has some???
Jonathan Smile
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
82 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
Is there anyway to do it for fire-eating tho? or is that still aways in the future?
Fire is a demanding Mistress...

http://combustiblecircus.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I don’t recommend any of the additives that create color for fire eating. The are mostly chemicals to add to solid ingredients for colored fire.
Ray Pierce
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
82 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
That's why I ask if anyone knows a safe way, nothing I've been able to find will work..
Fire is a demanding Mistress...

http://combustiblecircus.com