The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Best quality Rough/Smooth Svengali (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Who makes the best quality r/s Svengali deck?

Dick Lucasc
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
A Svengali deck does not have any R&S, only s***t cards.

Are you talking about a mirage deck which combines those principles?

I say the best quality would be buying a Svengali and applying the work yourself....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Daegs
Are there any books out about the mirage deck? It's my favorite since I'm not much of a card guy.
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 20:39, Daegs wrote:
A Svengali deck does not have any R&S, only s***t cards.

Are you talking about a mirage deck which combines those principles?

I say the best quality would be buying a Svengali and applying the work yourself....

I own 2 r/s Svengali's now; I don't know if they are known by another name as you suggest.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1814 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I think, and I may be wrong but a roughed Svengali is called a Pop Eyed Popper deck. I do know a standard Svengali is not roughed it is as Daegs says.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
They come under different names including "Phantom Deck" and "Mirage Deck". Whatever they are called the are simply R/S Svengali decks. I couldn't tell who makes the best or where to get them as I don't use them.

Yes they exist. Call them what you will. It dosen't change what they are.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I order mine through Haines House of Cards. You may even have them make specific decks for you. They make quality decks of cards. Many dealers use their services.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Burling Hull is the inventor of the "Mirage Deck". Most magic supply companies carry them. I believe the most popular brand is made in Bicycle stock...I picked one up at the Daytona Magic Shop under the original name "Mirage Deck" and they also carry the "Pop-eyed Popper" deck also which is basically the same set-up. You can also doctor up a std. Svengali deck with some r******* spray. Smile

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
KRZ4kardz,

I'm pretty sure that Burling Hull invented the "Svengali Deck" (at the age of 16) and other tricks like the "Menetekel" deck.

Ralph Hull invented the "Mirage Deck" (the R/S Svengali), the "Brainwave Deck" and the "Mental Photography Deck".
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I believe you are correct, thanx for the insight...sorry about that! Smile
:bikes: Smile

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I know it as a Mirage Deck and have seen it used on TV twice lately: it looks ultra-clean.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 10:34, algebraic wrote:
I order mine through Haines House of Cards. You may even have them make specific decks for you. They make quality decks of cards. Many dealers use their services.

Algebraic.

Thanks.... You are the only one that answered the question. "Where to find the best quality....". I am assuming you are pleased with the quality.

Thanks again,

DickLucas

Dicklucas
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
A r/s svengli deck is a svengli deck where the "main" card is r/s behind a normal deck, am I right??
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
59 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
Hi Dick,
Mirage is Svengali cut, 26 duplicates, treated rough and smooth.
The Pop-eyed Popper deck is rough and smooth, with 26 duplicates, but not Svengali cut.
The 50/50 forcing deck is neither Svengali cut nor rough and smooth, but contains 26 force cards of the overall 52 cards of what appears a typical deck of cards.
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
287 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
Does anyone sell a device to make (trim) Svengali cards?