The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Self working favourite (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Lorayne Poker Deal from CUCM.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
why do you have to start your routine with a self working trick??? Smile
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Bannon's Play It Straight is a killer opener and while it requires a minor setup that is no problem in an opening effect.

It uses a selected card so it has audience involvement and it uses the magician in trouble/magician makes good theme which will involve the audiences emotions.

Finally, when you successfully identify the selected card you do so by performing one of the strongest effects possible with playing cards: Triumph.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Hey Ace,
I hate to be the first to tell you but that effect is neither self working nor is it a card effect.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think it's nice for the magic to happen in the spec's hand at the beginning for a close up venue; thus:

Spectator Cuts to the Aces
Out of this World
Do As I Do

landmark
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
I like Annemann's Thousand Dollar Test Location, and also Mindbender from John Clark.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
LOCATION IMPOSSIBLE by Gary Ouellet is one of my favourites. It's a killer effect. I have fooled magicians and laymens badly with this one Smile Easy to do and you never touch the deck in the routine. Looks impossible.

Read more here:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_039.html
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
This is at least the second thread on self-workers. I am familiar with at least 3/4 of the effects listed, and as I see them in print and think of how powerful most of them are, I come around to a question that has been on my mind for some time: How do the "sleight" effects compare with all of these GREAT self-workers? Frankly, I think there are more great self-workers than there are great "sleight" effects. (I exclude from my comments effects with a mem deck, which I just think is a killer tool.) Now don't get me wrong, I practice sleights regularly and think that I'm OK, so I don't use my comments as a cop-out for not wanting to practice. It's just that sleight effects don't seem as devastating as sleightless effects to me. An astute spectator can figure out a sleight effect much more readily than a self-worker IMO.

Thoughts.

Gianni
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Out of this World, Play it Straight Truimph, and Red Hot Mama all get great reactions. There is some work to be done in all, but I think they'd qualify, as self working as many others here seem to have listed them. In that same category, I'd put Juan Tamariz's Neither Blind, Nor Stupid, and his Total Coincedence; Both awesome effects.
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
Pre Deck Ability (very, very, very good)
Untouched
Lazy Man's Card Trick
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-07-13 12:52, cougar261084 wrote:
why do you have to start your routine with a self working trick??? Smile

Why not? Smile
Magnum
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Magnum
I don't remember where I learned this trick (apologize for lack of credit), but I have a self worker that is done entirely behind the back of the spectator. It gets a great reaction, because they get the impression that I couldn't have done anything to influence the trick.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
I'm going to recommend a video to look at.. Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 2. Frank, That's It is on Volume 2. There are some real goodies on there that someone looking for somewhat self working tricks will like.

Later,
James
Sel
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sel
Does anyone know the name of this trick?

Quote:
On Oct 28, 2002, twistedace wrote:
The absolute best self-working card trick is done with 4 queens. I'm not sure the name of this trick or the inventor but I'm almost positive that it's Harry Lorayne.

You display the 2 red queens leave the 2 black queens tabled. One queen face up one face down. Spectator chooses a card and it is openly taken between the 2 red queens, and it can be signed. You ask the spectator to hold their hands out after you show the 3 and do the prayer vanish and place the 2 queens in their hands and show that their card has disappeared from in-between the two red queens.

You then have them spread the deck which has been on the table the whole time and their card is face up, signed in the center. Then take the two black queens, place their signed card in between them and cut them into the pack. Take the 2 red queens from the spectator and openly place them on top of the pack. Turn them over and spread to show that the selected card has now transported into the red queens and you can show them openly, well almost.

Then you turn the 3 card packet back over and show that it has once again disappeared from in-between the 2 red queens and is still where it should be in-between the 2 black queens.

Self-working, quick in performance and utterly astounding. I have got some great reactions with this one. If anybody knows the name please let me know so I can tell people when they ask instead of me saying, ummm... I think it's credited to...

Thanks guys!
Bryan
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
252 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
I learned it from The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Don't remember the title, though.
kevin_74
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of kevin_74
Mystical 13 by Howard Hamburg I believe it's called. Nearly self-working and you can add a kicker, as I've seen Takumi Takahashi doing in a video
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
252 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
It could be The Visitor, by Larry Jennings. There are several performance videos on YouTube. It's in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, p159.

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/73?highlight=1646
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Mystical 13 looks like a nice effect, but is nothing like the one described above -
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4127

The description in question seems to be two effects combined, into a nice routine.
In the first part the Queens on the table are not used, so are irrelevant. A signed card is placed between two red Queens then disappears and is found in the deck, so a kind of reverse sandwich effect. I don't know who created this but can imagine how it might be done.

The second effect is a version of the Visitor by Jennings. In the original, the deck is cut into two halves. The black Queens go in one half, and the red Queens go in the other half. So when the selection jumps from red Queens to black Queens and back again, it is also jumping between two separate halves of the deck. This is what makes it seem so impossible.
There is another handling (possibly from Frank Garcia?) in which the selection jumps between the two pairs of Queens, but the deck is not split. One pair is on top, and the other in the middle. This is much less magical, in my opinion because a spectator can imagine the magician moving the card "somehow" through sleight of hand.
This appears to be what is described above.
_Alex_
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of _Alex_
Prior Commitment by Simon Aronson is awesome. You do the steps and it's literally magic haha.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I bought Raphael Benatar At The Table recently -
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22025

It's got a couple of great self-working effect. (NB. for me that means sleight-free, but you do need to do a bit of thinking in these effects)

The Christ Countdown.
The spectator follows a fairly simple but random-seeming procedure to arrive at a card in a shuffled deck. The card matches the performer's prediction.

Mystery of Kabala.
Spectator freely thinks of a card. Magician asks a few simple questions. Spectator (secretly) spells the answers using the deck. Magician asks almost immediately is able to name their card.