The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Fisherman's Wharf, S.F. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Whenever anyone asks me how I got started in magic, my mind always wanders back to Fisherman's Wharf in the early 70's. My parents took us on a family vacation one year and we stumbled across this little magic shop right next to Ripley's Believe It or Not! wax museum. I was mesmerized by the guys behind the counter, demonstrating miracle after miracle. My dad saw how interested I was and agreed to buy a couple of beginner effects.

We contintued to visit San Francisco on a regular basis since we also had relatives in the Bay area. Every time I visited, I just had to go to that shop on Fisherman's Wharf. Then one year I visited and the shop wasn't there anymore.

Although the shop has long since gone, the memories live on.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1814 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Hi Kent,
I remember the shop very well, a friend of mine used to work there and I purchased diminishing cards from the shop.There was also a magic shop on Pier 39 which I understand was co-owned by Charles Schultz ( creator of Snoopy etc. ). There are still 2 magic shops in San Francisco, House of Magic & Misdirections magic shop.I have for some unknown reason never been to Misdirections, but did visit House of Magic when it was owned by Marvin "Buma" Burger, I believe his son has taken the helm now.Still have magic in S.F.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Ah yes, I almost forgot about the Pier 39 magic shop! It was a little hard to find and not quite as big as the one on the main strip, but I did purchase quite a few items from there as well.

I appreciate why a magician would want to name a magic shop Misdirections, but in San Francisco, the connotation in the name can be misinterpreted. Next time I'm in S.F., I'll have to make a point to visit both shops and get to know the people behind the counter.

Cheers!
Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
When I first moved here to the Bay Area, there was a shop owned By Steve Dawson.
It was a very friendly shop to just go and hang out at. Steve Dawson was a very knowledgeable magic dealer who was also very helpful when it came to fine tuning whatever magic you were working on at the time

Scott
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1814 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-06-12 17:18, scottasf wrote:
When I first moved here to the Bay Area, there was a shop owned By Steve Dawson.
It was a very friendly shop to just go and hang out at. Steve Dawson was a very knowledgeable magic dealer who was also very helpful when it came to fine tuning whatever magic you were working on at the time

Scott

Scott,
Steve Dawson is a very good friend of mine his shop was called The Magic Touch, he actually had 2 at one time, one was in San Jose and the other in Milpitas. Steve had given me the reamainder of the items from his shop to sell a few years back and I still have some items.If you are into nostalgia I can give you a few items with Steve's name on then that he made up for sale in the shop.
Steve was / is a super guy and I visited his shop often and spent a fair amount of money there.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
skip5994
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of skip5994
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Steve Dawson, whose shop was The Magic Touch? I lost touch with him when I moved from the Bay Area to the Boston Area. Thanks, waynehaase@comcast.net .
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1857 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
There was also a shop in Los Gatos on Main Street where I bought Tenyo's, Squeeze Play- The Ghastly Gallimaufry
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
kuzelnik
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kuzelnik
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
There was also a shop in Los Gatos on Main Street where I bought Tenyo's, Squeeze Play- The Ghastly Gallimaufry

Owned by Billie and Reece until they passed away. They had a back room with a tiny stage where I saw many great magicians lecture in the 80s.

There was also another Ghastly Gallimaufry in Capitola, CA. Magician Steve Blencoe worked at both shops.