The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: I can't believe I'm giving this away but... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Like impromptu card stuff? Read anything written by Rufus Steele.
Decoy
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Decoy
Smile
___-=Åçê=-___
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
I am Baffled too,

I am guessing he is a expert on impromtu magic, why not tell us where to get his books, and what they are called?

MAtt
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
Rodney,

Can you provide anything more than a teaser? How about some examples or descriptions of great effects from Rufus that you use? Any book titles of particular note?

- Britt

Smile
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
Hi guys. I hate to say this, but you already saw the title of my post, and I really do hate to give this away- they're that good- but I will.

Awhile back, I purchased two books by Rufus Steele. THE LAST WORD 0N CARDS and 52 AMAZING CARD TRICKS. Two of the best purchases I've made. As far as I know, he has written three other books and I'd love to own them. The card material in these books will clobber laymen- and demolish other magicians.

Much of the material belongs to Rufus Steele, but other contributors include: Ed Marlo, Eddie Joseph, Al Leech, Bill Simon, Don Alan, Stuart Judah, Jacob Daley, Bob Hummer, Bob Nelson, Paul Rosini, Ken Krenzel, Martin Gardner, Carmen D'Amico, Bert Allerton, John Scarne, Dai Vernon, etc.

Need I say More? These books are unbelievable. All regular cards-all impromptu! My two favourite things.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Thanks, I will have to check out the card magic books by Rufus Steele.

Since I am not a professional magician, I might go months without performing an impromptu trick, but still, I am usually ready. I carry several items that take very little space.

I almost always have a TT with me, a silk streamer, rubber bands, and a ring, and string. I usually have a deck of cards in my winter coat, but in the summer, cards are too bulky for me to carry all the time. And of course, coins are usually readily avaiable.

Dan Harlan's sonata with ring and string is a good impromptu opener, and the Crazy Man's Handcuffs is a killer closer.

If there is time, I do a lot of different tricks with the TT and/or cards in between these two.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
PhilJake
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of PhilJake
Okay, I know the OP is old but since I was looking for some additional resources myself, here are the Rufus W. F. Steele books I know about to help anyone interested. They are available as PDF downloads or as print versions for a wide range of prices. Some duplication of tricks among the books but lots of great classic stuff like Moe and Sam, Duci Duci, Wild Deuces, Si Stebbins System, Deck of Cards Story, Birds of a Feather, and around 200 more. Some are silly, some may be foolers. Some of them, a dozen or less, seem to be original to Rufus Steele.

50 Card Tricks by Rufus Steele
Last Word on Cards by Rufus Steele
52 Amazing Card Tricks by Rufus Steele
Card Tricks That Are Easy to Do and Learn by Rufus Steele
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Huh I didn't know about these. I'll have to check out. Thanks
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
If you don't mind ebooks, here are some at a good price:

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/s......rd=rufus
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Magicians

This thread is alarming. My concern is that information/references like this are so valuable and important it is bordering on being disgraceful that those involved in Magic today have (almost?) lost them.

Okay, end of rant. Smile

Julie
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Well these seem like good resources and good price too. Need to check these out.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, PhilJake wrote:
Okay, I know the OP is old but since I was looking for some additional resources myself, here are the Rufus W. F. Steele books I know about to help anyone interested. They are available as PDF downloads or as print versions for a wide range of prices. Some duplication of tricks among the books but lots of great classic stuff like Moe and Sam, Duci Duci, Wild Deuces, Si Stebbins System, Deck of Cards Story, Birds of a Feather, and around 200 more. Some are silly, some may be foolers. Some of them, a dozen or less, seem to be original to Rufus Steele.

50 Card Tricks by Rufus Steele
Last Word on Cards by Rufus Steele
52 Amazing Card Tricks by Rufus Steele
Card Tricks That Are Easy to Do and Learn by Rufus Steele

Print versions? What are print versions?
Elrondo
View Profile
New user
Germany
42 Posts

Profile of Elrondo
Here is a link to "Easy Card Tricks" by Rufus Steele

This seems to be an official website and the PDF not pirated!

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=we......aJGOdWVA
Knock knock...
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
If "Location from New Deck" from "50 Card Tricks by Rufus Steele" is a typical example of an unbelievable trick, I'll pass.
So obvious -- maybe that's what people mean when they say a trick is "dated." I guess back then people didn't know that a new deck was pre-arranged in an obvious order.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I understand most, if not all, of the Rufus Steele books are on lybrary.com .
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2002, Rodney Massey wrote:
Hi guys. I hate to say this, but you already saw the title of my post, and I really do hate to give this away- they're that good- but I will.

Awhile back, I purchased two books by Rufus Steele. THE LAST WORD 0N CARDS and 52 AMAZING CARD TRICKS. Two of the best purchases I've made. As far as I know, he has written three other books and I'd love to own them. The card material in these books will clobber laymen- and demolish other magicians.

Much of the material belongs to Rufus Steele, but other contributors include: Ed Marlo, Eddie Joseph, Al Leech, Bill Simon, Don Alan, Stuart Judah, Jacob Daley, Bob Hummer, Bob Nelson, Paul Rosini, Ken Krenzel, Martin Gardner, Carmen D'Amico, Bert Allerton, John Scarne, Dai Vernon, etc.

Need I say More? These books are unbelievable. All regular cards-all impromptu! My two favourite things.

Sharing is caring. Thank you very much for this information.
Paul24243
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Paul24243
Just checked out some Rufus Steel books and I have to agree there is some good stuff there which will not be known to a lot of the present generation of magicians.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2023, Alan Munro wrote:
I understand most, if not all, of the Rufus Steele books are on lybrary.com .

The real books are even better .