The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Ways to Vanish a Silk (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
coolleprechaun
View Profile
Regular user
Winnipeg, Manitoba
108 Posts

Profile of coolleprechaun
For my act I do the 20th Century silks and I use a mirror box to vanish the silk but the problem is I'm worried about the angles. If people are above me they might not be able to see into the box and if they're below me they might be able to see a reflection of the floor of something. In my act I hold the two blue silks in my left hand and put the red silk in the box and vanish it using one hand. If anybody could give me ideas for other ways of vanishing a silk preferably can be used with one hand. That would be great.
Thanks
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Try this :

Tie the two blue handkerchiefs together and stuff them into a glass or some other small container (so the ends of the handkerchiefs are still hanging out ) Give it to a spectator to hold or else simply place the glass with the two silks on your table in plain view .

Cause the red handkerchief to vanish using a device called the Palmo Ball or perhaps the classic Hank Pull (Vernet makes a good one called the Universal Pull ) . Dick Zimmerman's Ultimate Pull would be good to do the type of vanish where you place the red hank inside a second glass (after having placed the two tied-together blues in the first glass) . Cover the mouth of the glass with your hand and the red silk handkerchief vanished instantly . Have a look through Tarbell or the Rice silk books .

Vernet Pull
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4461

Palmo Ball
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1490

(see the Rice Silk books on how to use the Palmo or Duane Laflin's short instructional video
on using the Palmo for color changes and vanishes )

Not sure if Zimmerman still markets his Ultimate Pull or not .
Again, look at Rice or Tarbell for "lamp chimney" pull silk vanish .
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Coolleprechaun,

As long as you leave the mirror box on the table, I would not sweat the angle problem. Most mirror boxes are made well enough that viewing above or below is OK. Moving the box makes for new problems.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
coolleprechaun
View Profile
Regular user
Winnipeg, Manitoba
108 Posts

Profile of coolleprechaun
David, I don't know how long it would take to do the whole thing with the glasses and pulls but when I do it now when I practice it takes about 10 seconds to do the vanish and everything which matches my music perfectly so I don't know if that will work.

Bob, the thing is I'm using this in my SYM groups annual stage competition and the place that it is being held has slanted seating going upwards so I was concerned that the audience might not be able to see it.

Thanks
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 20:41, coolleprechaun wrote:
David, I don't know how long it would take to do the whole thing with the glasses and pulls but when I do it now when I practice it takes about 10 seconds to do the vanish and everything which matches my music perfectly so I don't know if that will work.

Bob, the thing is I'm using this in my SYM groups annual stage competition and the place that it is being held has slanted seating going upwards so I was concerned that the audience might not be able to see it.

Thanks

Vanish with a pull is quick as a wink. It has the added attraction of looking like real magic. The handkerchief is there .... and then it isn't . I wonder if putting a hank into a mirror box to vanish it is overkill? Why put it in a tricky looking box when you can have it vanish visually from your hand or from inside a glass.
Amazing Kenno
View Profile
New user
Kenno
60 Posts

Profile of Amazing Kenno
David mentions Duane Laflin's "short instructional video on using the Palmo" .... the good news is that Duane has produced Vol. 4 of his Secrets of Silk Magic DVD series and Vol. 4 is all about the Palmo. I recently received mine and it's wonderful. go to http://www.laflinmagic.com
The Amazing Kenno
Obeyomega
View Profile
New user
Shelby N.C
6 Posts

Profile of Obeyomega
Hello,
I need to know a way to vanish a silk with out using a TT or other such gimmicks. If someone has an idea, please help me out with this - Thank you.
Think what not magic can to for you but what you can do for magic.
Jon
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I prefer visual vanishes too! As a dove worker, I routinely get stuck with a 24" silk to get out of my hands. So I use a barehand vanish. Often it gets as good a reaction from the audience as the do the doves produced from them.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 01:13, Obeyomega wrote:
Hello,
I need to know a way to vanish a silk with out using a TT or other such gimmicks. If someone has an idea, please help me out with this - Thank you.

Start looking for Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (multi-volume) on eBay . Also check out the lists at H&R Magic Books or Bradbury Books and Beyond .

Silk King Studios still has a few copies of Vol. 3 :

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/cat3.htm
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why not transform the silk to a cane. Or if you have the 'bucks' get the silk vanish pistol. Or use a Zimmerman pull. Or get the Viking silk to billard ball, automatic transformation. Viking also sells a silk vanish wand.

Or use a manchanical color changing silk, a transformation.

I have a Zimmerman pull still in its package. Will sell for $20 plus $6 postage in the USA. Canada slightly higher, but for this small package not by much.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

You definitely don't want to use a mirror box to do a vanish; that piece of apparatus is meant for productions only. You can casually show the box empty, then produce something from it, but it's not meant to be shown empty for very long, as you would when you vanish a silk.

I like William's idea of silk to cane - it's quick and easy, and can be done with one hand. Here's another idea: Vanish the silk in a paper lunch sack. The sack is shown empty, silk is placed in, and top of sack is twisted. You blow into it and the pop the sack with your hands. Bottom is ripped open to show silk has vanished or transformed into something else. This is a vanish you can easily make, and it will cost you practically nothing. I can give you details on how to make it if it sounds like what you're after.

The Zimmer Pull is excellent - I have it. It allows you to move your arms freely up until the point you're going to do the vanish.

Another idea: Use the Tenyo Dynamite Tube. It's well made and you can turn the silk into a shower of confetti.

Hope this helps you.

Ron
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
The Vernet Universal Pull as mentioned above can carry a pretty large load. There is nothing like a straight visual vanish right in your hands, and it's pretty easy to do, once you work a little bit with your body movement to hide the split second where you let go of the pull.

Best regards

Jan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pulls are great gimmicks. It is surprising to me how many pros use them and how many hobbyists don't because they think other people in the magic club will know. (And then they use a TT like it is a secret!)

Gimmicks are not meant to be seen. They are meant to be used! You should be able to vanish a 36" (5 momme) silk in a pull, no sweat. (Same essential moves as a TT.)

Build the best show you can!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Obeyomega
View Profile
New user
Shelby N.C
6 Posts

Profile of Obeyomega
That is a very good point Bob thank you, and to all that help.
Think what not magic can to for you but what you can do for magic.
Jon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A metal (spun aluminum) pull vanisher can be gotten from

http://www.morrisseymagic.com
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
I like pulls a lot but need to wear a coat for the ones that I used, which were linked to my pant loops. Bottomless tumbler, paper bag vanish, cone vanish, palmo are some other ideas.
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
A hank ball is probably better than a palmo for a silk vanish (smaller), but you could use either. The nice thing about a hank ball is that it can be used for appearances as well as vanishes, and you don't need to wear a jacket. Duane Laflin has some excellent videos on silk magic that shows you all the moves.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If we go to props, I like the silk vanish tube by Abbott's and Viking. Place silk in tube, place cap on end of tube. Turn the tube over, silk showing. Place cap on this end. Hand tube to spectator. Removes caps. Silk is gone.

Time capsule is another good silk vanish. Place silk in plastic pill bottle without a lid. Roll in paper. Twist ends, and hand to spectator. Unwrap and silk is gone.

But original post did want a vanish with one hand. The silk Zimmerman pull is ideal for this, as it can vanish in one hand and appear between the silks in the other. Instant magic.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-04-04 00:30, wmhegbli wrote:
Why not transform the silk to a cane. Or if you have the 'bucks' get the silk vanish pistol. Or use a Zimmerman pull. Or get the Viking silk to billard ball, automatic transformation. Viking also sells a silk vanish wand.

Or use a manchanical color changing silk, a transformation.

I have a Zimmerman pull still in its package. Will sell for $20 plus $6 postage in the USA. Canada slightly higher, but for this small package not by much.

I really like that Idea of turning the silk into a cane.

David Todd-
I learend about the palmo as a silk production gimmic from Jeff McBride Magic on Stage volume 2 he did not mention the use of it as a vanisher. That might be the way to go sice they hold such large silks.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3366 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Coller, I use a Popcorn dye Box kids & adults love It especially with the 20th century silks . The best part Is it sells for $2.50 & works like a charm !
Tophatter.