The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: In-Flight by Nick Einhorn? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr Mindman
View Profile
Regular user
UK
111 Posts

Profile of Mr Mindman
Hi all,
I am considering 'In-flight' by Nick Einhorn http://www.einhorn.co.uk

Just want the opinion of people that own this illusion?
is it worth the money?
what is the reaction like?
hocus Pocus used to sell it, but I couldn't find it on their site now.

thanx
Jon James
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I haven't used it but from what I've seen it looks great. Knowing Nicholas, it will probably be genious. From the fact it's sold out, I would guess it has recieved few if any negative comments.
Nick
Nick
eb02
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of eb02
As far as I know its not so easy to do and you need strong legs...
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Mr Mindman
View Profile
Regular user
UK
111 Posts

Profile of Mr Mindman
Hummm, OK cheers guys.

it doesn't seem as though many people on the Café have it, maybe that is a bad sign?

Cheers
Jon
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
I saw Paul Daniels do "In-flight" at the World Magic Seminar last year and it looked good.

After the show I heard lots of magicians saying great things about it!

Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I have seen this version done live by Paul and know that his version has been greatly modified!

it is back on Hocus Pocus with an online demo, looks good.

bit of a price tag though, I am considering it.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Hocus Pocus Magic has aquired a small number of In-Flight, 10 to be exact, from Nick Einhorn. This item will be available in mid-June. We've already taken 3 pre-orders, so if you're interested, you may want to order one soon!

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Jason London

This space for rent
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My question, concerns a small detail of the effect. After you levitate, does the audience see your feet? Obviously, they see the box void of the feet that were there a moment ago, but, do they actually see (or THINK they see) your feet under the cloth? I hate to sound brash, but to my way of thinking, covering your whole body with a cloth, and then only letting them see your head after you rise, (and not the feet), seems kind of hokey, and pointless. If I were in the audience, and I was a non-magician, I would be thinking to myself "Why is he covering himself with a cloth? What is he hiding?"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
Everything I have heard about this suggests that you don't see the feet...also many take note of the fact that not only are you covering things with a box, but also with another shade as well.

Each time I see the demo, all I can see is him stepping up on something....moving from side to side as you "levitate".

I was expecting more!

Paul h.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That is precisely what I was thinking about it. Despite all the hoopla, to me it comes across as a rather weak effect. My feeling is that laymen would not be real impressed with this, unless they were a lot less than sharp.

That is simply my opinion, for what it is worth. (sometimes not much)

Still, I remain open minded.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I have this and I think it's slick.
However, I have never used it in a show, just for friends who come over.
The ideal of your feet showing would be a wonderful addition to this.
Is it a workable ideal? I think so, by using your "King's Rising" gimmick you could kind of float out in front of the box, you could also land outside of the box. So in a nutshell, you rise up out of the box, float forward and land outside of the box. FEET SHOWING THE WHOLE TIME after you rise out of the box!
This is asumming your "In Flight" gimmick is facing forward, there may be other possibilities if you face your gimmick the other way.
WOW! I think I just impressed myself!
I got to go try this!!!!!
I'll be back!

Tim
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Just tried it out...
takes a little balance but it looks REAL ERRIE when you float out in front of the box and slowly lower down to the ground.
Got to go and play some more Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
mr majik
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of mr majik
Ok so you got a cloth, work it in to the patter, that's what magics about. also it does take some practice to work smoothly, but its worth it. I don't own one myself (because for love nore mony I cant find it anymore)but I know its workings very well. (yep I know how its done and I'd still willingly perchase it) its a fantastic illusion. by the way, if anyone has one for sale (as I think hocus pocus have sold out again) please let me know echo-ruby@orange.fr
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
It's still available at HP - check out the CLEARANCE section

Cliff
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
I have in-flight and I love it. It packs flat plays big. I perform this illusion every Sunday at Wonder Works in Orlando. Erick
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I bought one of these from Nick before he's actually stated marketing it. I only had a 2nd hand verbal description of the effect to go on when I purchased it but felt it might fit with another idea I had in mind which incidently meant I needed the cloth altered which Nick obligingly arranged for me. Smile

The 1st time I saw it performed was when I went to pick it up from Nick. He demmed his version for me in his front room and I have to say that even though I knew what was going to happen the weirdness of seeing someone just a few feet away suddenly float up still took me by surprise. It looked really great and had an eerily freaky quality to it.

It can be performed surrounded, is very portable and you have control over the speed at which you levitate. It might not be so easy for anyone past their mid 50's though. Nick has a teriffic bit where he appears to let go of the curtain which very momentarily floats with him...then suddenly drops, as does he, only to be caught half way down and refloat back up. Looks very cool and spooky,

I think that this 'parlour' kind of environment is what this effect lends itself to best. The closeness of the spectators and also of the ceiling! are important factors in maxamizing the perception of the height to which the performer appears to float up to. The fact you don't see the feet doesn't matter as you're too busy taking in the whole picture which looks so weird and startling that you momentarily even forget about the cardboard box.

In a theatre setting though things I feel are diffferent. The distance of the audience allows them to see the whole picture instantly and the impression of levitated height is substantially reduced. More importantly though because the audience can instanly take in the whole picture they have time to start to wonder..... where are his feet? how it's done? and what's with the box? etc.

If there's a weak point to the illusion it's not that you don't get to see the performers feet it's the rational for involving the box. Stepping into a cardboard box with the sides folded down in order to do the levitation needs some kind of explaination. Any illusion can be thought of as looking strange but there's normally a rationale behind the look of the prop in how it's subsequently used. I've yet to see a theatre style presentation for In-Flight that 'explains' the presence of box in a way that isn't so ludicrous as to throw even more suspicion on the box than its mere presence already burdens it with. A big part of the impact of the effect relies on the audience not concerning themselves with the box, otherwise it starts to become a just puzzle rather than an effect.

In an intimate, smaller space with the box gets ignored because the floating takes place 'in your face', but in a bigger space the box seems to invite you to start guessing what the method might be.

This is why, after a lot of experimenting with it, I sold mine on. (without the cloth which I still use for the other part of the routine that I wanted to integrate In-Flight into)

So I'd say that this can be a teriffic, startling, and very freaky looking effect in the right settings which in my opinion are smaller intimate venues where your audience is reasonably close and/or even surrounding you.

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Does anyone have a video of this for a live audience?

Best,

Tim
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Yes, I'd also like to see a video of this effect, someone must have done it on video. There is also another version of this levitation, can't for the life of me think what its called though. I think you get a small carpet and bag.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2579 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I can't remember the name either Harry. But I remember being intrigued as well.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Wasn't that called the ultimate bag levitation?
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com