The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Best Linking Rings (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
All mentioned are fine but it is the routine not the rings. Mer Taylor rings had a nice heavy feel and ring to them. Ring and Things rang out very nicely. Sud's rings were ok. Delben made some nice hollow rings.
I guess a better question is what is the routine and how you need to use them. With spectators or without, etc.

I don’t necessarily agree. No matter what routine I’m performing I want to have rings that look and sound like solid objects, and I also want them to look and sound good on stage (whatever stage I’m on!).

While the routine will decide the size and quantity of rings I need, I always desire quality rings.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Has anyone tried the 10" 8-ring set of Magic Makers rings? I wondered if the welds are as invisible as they claim. I use Bumper/Suds rings and the welds are nice on those, but I'm looking to replace them after years of use.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:
Has anyone tried the 10" 8-ring set of Magic Makers rings? I wondered if the welds are as invisible as they claim. I use Bumper/Suds rings and the welds are nice on those, but I'm looking to replace them after years of use.

I have a set of magic makers rings that my parents bought me in the 90’s - they are wonderful quality with truly invisible welds.
I’m not sure if the quality is still the same, but they used to be quite good.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
713 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Owen site is not working , there is no prices, no order form, nothing. In 2024 where I can buy a quality linking rings set? I want a 10 inches set and believe me is really hard to find one.Even Penguin is out of stock.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2024, Vogler wrote:
Owen site is not working , there is no prices, no order form, nothing. In 2024 where I can buy a quality linking rings set? I want a 10 inches set and believe me is really hard to find one.Even Penguin is out of stock.

Owen Magic Supreme is closed.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Proline rings, by Cliff Wiggs are good quality, light and sound lovely. He will make any combination of rings to order (including oversize and undersize). I have ordered 2 complex sets of 10" rings from him in the past 18 months, his delivery times can be very long, though my last set came within 5 weeks.You need to be mentally prepared for much longer.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
All mentioned are fine but it is the routine not the rings. Mer Taylor rings had a nice heavy feel and ring to them. Ring and Things rang out very nicely. Sud's rings were ok. Delben made some nice hollow rings.
I guess a better question is what is the routine and how you need to use them. With spectators or without, etc.

I have the Comedy Linking Rings by David Ginn. And it's very good. I would like one without volunteers, so I could use it on the street to attract people.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have set of Owen's'10" Rings that I paid a fair amount for twenty years ago, but haven't had a reason to use them recently.
Gi them out of their velvet bag an discovered they are rusted - big, ugly, crusted spots.

I did not know that could happen.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ken thanks for the warning! I have a set of 10-onch Owens I bought when they closed. I have yet to use them. I'll have to check them out and do a bit of preventive maintenance. I have had 12-inch and 11-inch Owen made sets in the past decades and used them frequently and regularly. They never showed rust but then were wiped down after use (within a day).

Ed, Look into Jerry Salazar's "Three Ring Routine". Jerry used his routine exactly as you want. He used it to draw a crowd. It is something to be watched by the audience, to attract attention, and is not interactive. It is out of print, but copies can be found with an internet search. Jerry has a website that advertises a PDF version. However, he rarely answers emails lately. He does give his phone number so I'd call.

The Al Koran "Three Silver Rings" is another routine that is designed to be watched with no interaction. It is easier to find (Stevens Magic still has copies). It was published by Ken Brooke.

Of course there is Chris Capeharts "Three Ring Routine" which was built on the street for the street (busking) but plays anywhere. the cape hart does have an element that is done repeatedly up close to the spectators. There is also an element where a spectator is asked to grasp the center ring and Chris unlinks it. So I guess you would call it semi-interactive. There is no volunteer standing with you. Rather you walk to the crowd/edge and the person stands in place as you do the unlink.

Of note, about three decades ago before the Baltimore inner harbor failed, Street magician Andy Persian performed Dia Vernon's "Symphony of Rings" to music to draw a crowd. It worked (another non interactive piece).

Have fun find the routine that is good for you.

As the the topic of the thread, best - I say Owens if you can find them. TCC (China) built a nice set (Ammar Rings) but you have to rebuild the key if you have small hands (like me). I cut one of the three-linked rings to make a key and have a linked pair left over).

There are not many folks making a good quality set of rings right now, other than the small Ninja Ring size. Full size (8-inch and larger) is kind of hit or miss. Proline is makes a good quality ring if you can get them. I would only buy Proline rings from a dealer (like Stevens) rather than deal Proline (Clift) directly. I don't like to wait 6 to 8 months (or a year) for a product I payed for.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
If the rust is not pitted, crumble some aluminum foil into a ball, get it wet and scrub the rust areas. It will bring back that chrome. Chrome polish when done.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2024, Wravyn wrote:
If the rust is not pitted, crumble some aluminum foil into a ball, get it wet and scrub the rust areas. It will bring back that chrome. Chrome polish when done.

Thanks for that info. Better than a sanding sponge. They are pitted but will be OK for my Ancient Rings type Routine
where ALL rings get into the hands of spectators. Just as the weld on smaller rings adds realism/naturalness, these may now be better for the damage (I'll pretend it is so, anyway)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
[EDIT]

Quote:
On Mar 9, 2024, Harry Murphy wrote:

Ed, Look into Jerry Salazar's "Three Ring Routine". Jerry used his routine exactly as you want. He used it to draw a crowd. It is something to be watched by the audience, to attract attention, and is not interactive. It is out of print, but copies can be found with an internet search. Jerry has a website that advertises a PDF version. However, he rarely answers emails lately. He does give his phone number so I'd call.

The Al Koran "Three Silver Rings" is another routine that is designed to be watched with no interaction. It is easier to find (Stevens Magic still has copies). It was published by Ken Brooke.

Of course there is Chris Capeharts "Three Ring Routine" which was built on the street for the street (busking) but plays anywhere. the cape hart does have an element that is done repeatedly up close to the spectators. There is also an element where a spectator is asked to grasp the center ring and Chris unlinks it. So I guess you would call it semi-interactive. There is no volunteer standing with you. Rather you walk to the crowd/edge and the person stands in place as you do the unlink.

Of note, about three decades ago before the Baltimore inner harbor failed, Street magician Andy Persian performed Dia Vernon's "Symphony of Rings" to music to draw a crowd. It worked (another non interactive piece).

Have fun find the routine that is good for you.

[END EDIT]

Thanks, not only for the suggestions, but for where to LOOK for them! To many people just post; "Use so-and-so's classic routine!" Not realizing that maybe some of us don't know where to FIND "so-and-so's classic routine!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ed, I failed to mention one source for Chris Capehart's Three Ring routine is Penguin Magic.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18679

Or directly from Chris Capehart:
https://www.chriscapehartmastermagician.......capehart

You'll have to email Steven's magic. They own the rights to the Ken Brooke line and used to sell the booklet. I suspect they still do. magic@stevensmagic.com
Or call: 316-683-9582

The last number I had for Jerry Salazar: 415-794-2903
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2024, Harry Murphy wrote:
Ed, I failed to mention one source for Chris Capehart's Three Ring routine is Penguin Magic.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18679

Or directly from Chris Capehart:
https://www.chriscapehartmastermagician.......capehart

You'll have to email Steven's magic. They own the rights to the Ken Brooke line and used to sell the booklet. I suspect they still do. magic@stevensmagic.com
Or call: 316-683-9582

The last number I had for Jerry Salazar: 415-794-2903

You get a "like this post!" Thanks.