The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..22..36..50..64..78..79~80~81 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Marvel sold off Spider-Man and X-Men and some other characters to Sony. They let Sony make those movies and took the money and that helped revamp Marvel Studios. Good move.

They constantly rewrite characters and give them an "origin in a box" like the Fantastic Four. Look at what ended up happening with Spidey. Heck even Iron Man is changed. So is Hawkeye and Black Widow. I think it is written and directed FAR SUPERIOR to anything DC has had to offer at the box office. I completely agree about the avengers, and feel the same about Guardians.

I think much of the DC lineup will be decided by how well Bats and Sups do. Lots of those may never come to be of ol Ben does for Bats what he did for Daredevil.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
When I was talking about Spiderman and the X men I was talking about the comic books of the 70s and 80s. I did not like any of the X men and Spiderman movies. The X men is always about the Cyclops Wolverine drama with the Marvel Girl in the middle. I would have liked to see more X men. I also did not like Jackman as Wolverine. He is to tall for the roll.

I also did not like the Daredevil movie. I did not like the Shadow movie or the old Doc Savage movie. Or the Green Lantern movie.

Casting the right people for the roll is something that these movie makers should think about. Also Ben is not the guy I want to see in Batman outfit.

I liked both of the FF movies and Guardians my son liked it more than I did. But I did like the music soundtrack.

Interesting that they may make a movie about Shazam. I am a fan of the old Republic Serials. They made a movie serial about Captain Marvel. I have it on DVD. It like Rocketman is one of the better serials of the 1950s.

Best ahead.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, bishthemagish wrote:
Well Dc may not be making good movies. But I think The TV work that they have done with Young Justice, Batman, Superman, The Justice League, Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited have been very good. Much better than the old Batman Superman hour. The Batman Aquaman Hour and Super friends that was the kind of junk that was on TV on Saturday Mourning.

I did not like most of the Superman movies but I did like Superman Two. I did not like any of the Batman Movies except the one Starring Adam West. I also loved the Adam West Batman TV show. It hit the TV when I was in Third grade.

The only Superman that got it right was the old Adventures of Superman Starring George Reeves. The thing about it was that Superman was not on the screen for very long. The stories were mostly about Clark and his friend reporters. Superman would often show up at the end just in the nick of time. Clark Kent had to be written and acted so it was interesting and entertaining to the audience. When Superman showed up that he was in costume and there was automatic interest, action and entertainment.

Ty Power did this in the Mark Of Zorro. And this was done not long ago in the three Iron Man Movies where Tony Stark was very interesting and fun and entertaining to watch.

DC's thing is that they seem to push the big three all the time (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) ahead of all the other super hero's in the Justice League. Where Marvel has let many super hero's become popular like Spider man and the X Men.

Marvels movies seem to have a lot of people that were fans of Marvel on staff. On one of my DVDs in the extras one of the people that was doing the First Captain America movie. He said something like that they had a staff of people that worked for Marvel and they have their choice of ideas from the Marvel stories that are in the comic books for inspiration.

However the movie people that do the DC movies seem to want to re-write all the hero's and do some epic thing. And reinvent. That Batman VS Bane was in my opinion was one of the worst super hero movies I have ever seen. They totally missed who Batman was. Having Batman/Bruce lose all his Billions. Needing help from Catwoman to find Bane. And that junk with that guy they called Robin. And having Bruce end up turning his home into a children's home. And staying dead missed the boat big time. Batman is "driven" to clean up crime and used to be written that way. More than any other hero in DC. So for him to lose all his money - fake his death at the end and then pass the Bat cave onto that Robin - was in my opinion one of the many many bad writing and directing choices that were in all the Batman movies.

I saw the Batman VS Bane twice. It dragged on and on. And I have no interest in getting any of the DVDs.

I saw the Avengers 12 times and I have a copy of the DVD.

Surprising that you prefer the Adam West version rather than the Bat movies as the serious Batfans consider the Adam West version as too campy --especially when compared with the Green HORNET which came out at the same time. What's so ironic is that Bat started as campy and then became serious in the movies while Green Hornet began as serious and then became campy in the movies. What an embarrassment the Hornet movie was. No comparison to Bruce Lee at all.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
The Green Hornet was a radio show like the Shadow and the Lone Ranger. He was also featured in pulp magazines was invented by George W. Trendle. Who also invented the Lone Ranger. I am a big Green Hornet fan and have been a fan for many years.

I have 2 posters of the Green Hornet one Signed by Van Williams.

Britt Reid the grand nephew of Dan Reid who rode with the Lone Ranger. Interesting enough the TV Lone Ranger series had Dan Reid in a few of the shows that were produced long before the Green Hornet TV show.

Yes the Batman series was campy - but entertaining. I think the Batman Movies were not campy - however for me they had little entertainment value - and the writing and direction choices were bad choices that any serious Batman fan would most likely dislike as they did not seem to know who the Dark Knight was. And why he was driven to clean up crime.

The movies also did not feature Batman started in Detective Comics #27. And is often called Detective by some of his foe's. In the comic book and on the Warnerbrothers series that I mentioned above. Besides needing catwoman to find bane - Batman plans and is prepared for his foe's. These are just a few things I feel that they missed the boat in in the movies of batman.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
What pulp titles featured Green Hornet stories?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2014, Orville_Smith wrote:
There was a one-hour tv-documentary about Batman that made the point the Bat is NOT even a superhero since he does not have any superpowers at all. So to call him a superhero might be a misnomer. All he is, is just a detective who wears a fancy costume. If not for his costume, he would not even be in the comic books.

On the other hand, Superman is a superhero because he has superpowers. But like the other hero, The Spectre, he is too powerful, so that omnipotence might leave many fans cold and make the character boring.

When all is said and done, Batman has No superpowers, and Superman is too powerful, therefore many fans prefer the FLASH because he's "middle of the road."

There were a lot of super heroes who didn't have special powers The Vigilante, Wildcat, the original Atom couldn't shrink, he was just a really short powerful guy. Batman doesn't have any "metahuman" powers, but he is still in every sense of the word, a superhero.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, bishthemagish wrote:
The Green Hornet was a radio show like the Shadow and the Lone Ranger. He was also featured in pulp magazines was invented by George W. Trendle. Who also invented the Lone Ranger. I am a big Green Hornet fan and have been a fan for many years.

I have 2 posters of the Green Hornet one Signed by Van Williams.

Britt Reid the grand nephew of Dan Reid who rode with the Lone Ranger. Interesting enough the TV Lone Ranger series had Dan Reid in a few of the shows that were produced long before the Green Hornet TV show.

Yes the Batman series was campy - but entertaining. I think the Batman Movies were not campy - however for me they had little entertainment value - and the writing and direction choices were bad choices that any serious Batman fan would most likely dislike as they did not seem to know who the Dark Knight was. And why he was driven to clean up crime.

The movies also did not feature Batman started in Detective Comics #27. And is often called Detective by some of his foe's. In the comic book and on the Warnerbrothers series that I mentioned above. Besides needing catwoman to find bane - Batman plans and is prepared for his foe's. These are just a few things I feel that they missed the boat in in the movies of batman.

Cheers!

I think Britt Reid is supposed to be the grandSON of Dan Reid. He is the grandNEPHEW of John Reid who was the Lone Ranger.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2014, landmark wrote:
2020?! I don't think I can extend my adolescence much longer!

I've kept mine going for over 40 years!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
One college professor’s crusade to teach Marvel in the classroom:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/one-c......assroom/
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This was released yesterday, and already has more than 19M views on Youtube. I don't know if it's been posted on another thread yet, but I didn't see it on this one, where we are discussing Marvel.

Teaser trailer for Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron":

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Steve_Mollett wrote:
What pulp titles featured Green Hornet stories?

I thought that Bish would answer Steve's question because Bish mentioned the pulps. Actually, I don't think Green Hornet appeared in the pulps. The Shadow was, of course, as previously mentioned. But the one that stands out for me is DOC SAVAGE. The first time I ran across Doc Savage was in 1971 or so when it was being reprinted in Bantam paperback books. I had gone to the magazine shop to buy my monthly batch of comics when what caught my attention on the paperback rack was the eye-catching artwork by painter Bama of a bronze-skinned man wearing torn and tattered khaki. After reading the blurb on the back-cover, I was hooked. I'm pretty sure that some of you enjoyed Doc Savage too.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I loved the old Doc Savage stories, but I thought the 70's Ron Ely movie royally sucked. It failed to capture the flavor of what Doc and his allies really were.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2014, Donald Dunphy wrote:
This was released yesterday, and already has more than 19M views on Youtube. I don't know if it's been posted on another thread yet, but I didn't see it on this one, where we are discussing Marvel.

Teaser trailer for Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron":

- Donald

You will be hard pressed to find a DC movie that even compares. Which is why the answer to the OP is still, 'NO'. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
DC superheroes could team up with the Nazi Muslim Brotherhood to fight conflict and disease.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:
I loved the old Doc Savage stories, but I thought the 70's Ron Ely movie royally sucked. It failed to capture the flavor of what Doc and his allies really were.

Bodybuilder/actor Steve Reeves was coming out of retirement to do that movie. He stared as Hercules and Hercules unchained and many other films of the sword and sandal style of movies back in the 60's. He won Mr. Universe, Mr. America and Mr. World in France.

Something happened that made him to decide not to take the part and stay in retirement. Perhaps he read the script, and saw what they were going to do with this film.

Cheers.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Was a movie ever made based on the DC Blackhawks comics? Sacre Bleu! I learned all my French from the French guy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wish they would do an Asterix movie. Look it up if you get the chance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh, I know Asterix pretty well. How was the Tin-Tin movie?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:

GOD yes. we will probably never see a GOOD doc savage movie.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Another Doc movie is in the works, so we shall see.

True to form, The Green Hornet was not in pulps (though he is a pulp-style hero), though he WAS in comic books during the 1940s.

Dynamite comics has revived a bunch of pulp heroes, including The Shadow, The Spider, The Black Bat, Doc Savage, The Avenger, Zorro, The Green Lama, Red Sonja and John Carter. They have also revived radio heroes Green Hornet and Lone Ranger.

I would like to see them tackle The Moon Man, The Purple Scar and Captain Satan.

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus