The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Best packet trick of all time (59 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..11..14..17..20..23..24~25~26 [Next]
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Thanks for the info Marion. In order to get the experience I may have to look into this further.
The cards in the two card monte effect change unexpectedly too to a lay person, gets a strong response- and there is absolutely no heat on the cards.
The monte effect, also in its favor, has the potential to change the cards back after the initial transposition very cleanly.
One could argue its not a packet trick though- in the true sense, since the effect is worked off the top of a hand held packet at least, or the full deck.
In any event I wouldn't suggest either as the best packet trick of all time.
What would I suggest as the best packet effect? I don't know there are lots of great ones. I couldn't choose one.. and so much depends on performing conditions.
Peter Kanes Gypsy Curse I reckon is pretty neglected these days. It can be worked as a quickie in competent hands and perhaps give NFW a run for its money- its a more complex effect though.
I leave out the the original patter which has dated the effect and streamline it into a simple find the card effect where they all change into the sought after card. Do it in 40 seconds, great visual candy!
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes Wes, I agree that Twisted Sisters is also a great one but was just thinking that it's just an expanded presentation of B'wave really, but both are nice indeed. And you are right again as to picking just one. In doing that I would say that NFW is darn hard to beat and is probably the packet trick most often mentioned.

On a relative note, perhaps the most sold packet trick (which might speak to overall popularity as well) might be something like Wild Card or 2 Card Monte, etc. They've been out there a very long time but I think I remember someone mentioning once that it might be "Color Monte" as the most sold packet trick of all time by leaps and bounds. Smile

And CountZ you are most welcome and would hope you would give Double Back a try as it is an amazing packet effect, definitely one of the very best IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Here's an older thread that may be of interest...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=210
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Indeed Marion I will try Double Back, give it a road test, see how it handles for me.
You can never know how good an effect is until its been through your own hands and performed in front of an audience.
Hopefully it'll give me that 'rush' that you get when something new works better than you imagined.
I'll pick one up at the Blackpool Convention which is coming up.
Best wishes
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
I predict you will like it.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Got another one that's pretty near perfect in design and dynamic play, "Reflipped" by Yannick Chretien. Absolutely fabulous little trick.

Josh Jay's take on it is much cleaner IMHO and the effect is killer and quite visual. It's not hard to do and plays BIG. It has slowed my use of gaff packet effects to a minimum if that. And it's got a few neat moves to it that make you feel like you're making the magic happen. Smile

I know I'm a bit late to the table on this one but I now carry this with me regularly and it kills. I get a kick out of just practicing it and running through the moves...That little drop/flip is killer! Smile

It might not be the best of all time (And according to these guys here, what is?), but it's certainly a gem of an effect with regular cards...An absolute gem! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 17:05, Mb217 wrote:
Got another one that's pretty near perfect in design and dynamic play, "Reflipped" by Yannick Chretien. Absolutely fabulous little trick.

Josh Jay's take on it is much cleaner IMHO and the effect is killer and quite visual. It's not hard to do and plays BIG. It has slowed my use of gaff packet effects to a minimum if that. And it's got a few neat moves to it that make you feel like you're making the magic happen. Smile

I know I'm a bit late to the table on this one but I now carry this with me regularly and it kills. I get a kick out of just practicing it and running through the moves...That little drop/flip is killer! Smile

It might not be the best of all time (And according to these guys here, what is?), but it's certainly a gem of an effect with regular cards...An absolute gem! Smile

Just saw this - great effect! Thanks for sharing Smile.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Another one worth mentioning is Poor Man's Monte by Richard Vollmer - def. not the best but it's very, very good. And it's also easy to do! You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ8S3rBeAuw.
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
John Cornelius's "Marked For Life" ( named by Lance Pierce ).

This STUNS an audience.
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Gotta say Paul Gordon's Corner Of Piccadilly is my favorite followed buy his KOT. WORKERS and STRONG. JP
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Twisted Sisters hits a punch IMHO one of the most simple (just 2 counts) effects to do.

Randy Wakeman's effect is spelt 'Backs To The Future' just incase someone wanted to search for it.

Ja
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Brought up already but "Color Monte" Sold millions of copies.... Pro's still use it.... no gaffed cards... Simple and great story!
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"It's been said before in this thread, but "best" depends on what you like. There isn't one "best" effect for everyone. I think most of us understand that but I'm reiterating it"

For something that probably isn't even true, this maxim certainly gets a lot of repetition.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
About packet tricks, The Amazing Kreskin once said to me, "Don't anybody show me a card trick-especially if it comes in a little plastic wallet!"
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Interesting post in a section dedicated to packet tricks... Was there a point to that?

Anyway, Roy Walton's "Kaleidoscope" has lived in my wallet for a couple of years now. Only four cards, great magic and totally examinable. Now it's been replaced by my own effect "Daley Dose".

I love packet tricks. I think doing loads of magic with just a few cards is one of the most magical things you can do. Even a lay person realizes, with just a small packet of cards, you've got nowhere to hide. You can't switch cards in and out of a deck (Well, you can at the beginning of the effect or maybe even the end but the key is to structure it so they think you can't). Good magic with a small amount of cards can seem more impossible.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here but perhaps Kreskin's point was the following:

Doing a packet effect like McDonald's Aces, for example, makes sense in the fact that you can remove the necessary cards from a deck right in front of your bated audience. It looks natural to remove the needed cards from a deck do to a trick which requires them.

On the other hand, if you pull a "little plastic wallet" out of a pocket which conveniently holds a packet of cards for a trick, it looks "odd" and perhaps raises the level of suspicion in an audiences mind. "Why is he using THOSE cards rather than cards from a deck?"

...or maybe Kreskin simply didn't want to see a card trick-period.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 11:24, PaulPacific wrote:
...On the other hand, if you pull a "little plastic wallet" out of a pocket which conveniently holds a packet of cards for a trick, it looks "odd" and perhaps raises the level of suspicion in an audiences mind. "Why is he using THOSE cards rather than cards from a deck?"...

Because I keep ODD cards in that wallet - my favorite cards: Aces and Jokers!
No questions, ever!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4204 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 11:24, PaulPacific wrote:
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here but perhaps Kreskin's point was the following:

Doing a packet effect like McDonald's Aces, for example, makes sense in the fact that you can remove the necessary cards from a deck right in front of your bated audience. It looks natural to remove the needed cards from a deck do to a trick which requires them.

On the other hand, if you pull a "little plastic wallet" out of a pocket which conveniently holds a packet of cards for a trick, it looks "odd" and perhaps raises the level of suspicion in an audiences mind. "Why is he using THOSE cards rather than cards from a deck?"

Wonderful quote, total agreement from my side. This is why I dislike most packet tricks. But there are some I do and could do provided I can take out the necessary cards from a deck. Only exception (so far) for me: Duvivier's Printing if you are a funny performer like him. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
You can do what Brother John Hamman did and set up a bunch of packet tricks as your deck - now all the necessary cards come from the deck.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Best packet trick - well the term 'best' is subjective.

However, 'Favourite' packet trick(s) - in no particular order:

Hans Trixer - Wild Man Wild (with the Fred Kaps handling)
Mo Howarth - Chinese Poker (the ONLY packet trick I've ever known that can also be performed on a stage!)
Eddie Victor - E - Y - E
Alex Elmsley - 4 Card Trick
Ken Brooke - The Dutch Looper
Joe Riding - Guinness/Castella
Joe Riding - The Girl Trick

Most ''disliked' packet trick - Jim Temple's 3 Card Monte (plus any that are aimed at an adult audience but have characatures of dragons, rabbits, or blue fluffy clouds etc!).
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.