The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
The only advice I'll give you is the following: DON'T START WITH BOBO. Please do not misunderstand, this is a great book. But a beginner starting with a book is something I do not understand, personally. Coin magic is visual, and you need to see how the sleights are performed properly. Learning from a book you'll have great chances to develop bad habits. Watching Ammar/Roth/Stone performing a certain move, you also understand its aim/use/potential. It's after mastering it that you'll -maybe- develop your own variation to better fit your own style.
With a book that's purely impossible.

So I would advise: start with

1. The Complete Introduction to Coin Magic - Michael Ammar
2. Expert Coin Magic Made Easy 1-3 - David Roth

Then, after having mastered the basics (and much more actually), buy Bobo and explore the true potential of this coin magic bible.

That's my own view on the subject though, and I'm sure many disagree. But I'm truly convinced it's the best way to start.

Have fun and welcome in the world of coin magic!
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Well I find learning from a book much more fun actually. I'm also somewhat against DVD's because of exposure and stuff.
I also think that many of the greatest coinworkers did not have DVD in their time. So it must be possible to learn from books.
Deal cards, not drugs!
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Possible, it is. But back then coinworkers didn't have the choice, did they?

My point is: learning from a book is possible; but you're very likely to develop bad habits. For instance: learn the retention pass from a book, and watch Roth or Ammar doing and teaching it. Try to learn the Gallo pitch, the flying shuttle pass, from books etc.

I guarantee you'll have serious problems.

Now, when you know the basics, books are great, since they're not teaching you moves, but routines. They won't teach you how to vanish a coin, they will simply state: "vanish a coin...".

I hope you get my point. But it's only my point, and if you can learn easily with books, then... congratulations!
Wal Parker
View Profile
New user
Wal Parker
1 Post

Profile of Wal Parker
Just a contribution. The Magic of Micah Lasher by Micah Lasher is introductory and has a section on coin and currency magic with good descriptions of palming, shuttle pass, and retention vanish.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I learned from Bobo when I first started. Of course that was before videos and DVD's. It is difficult, but not impossible if you keep practicing. I would recommend however, that you take advantage of the technology and watch some video's of the moves you want to learn.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I've worn out my copy of the Bobo book, had it almost seven years now. What would you consider as the "next step"? I've seen David Roth and Richard Kaufman listed. Would those pretty much be a "repeat" of what I've already learned from Bobo's, or would there be many new things to learn from them?
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
As has been said 'Expert Coin Magic' is the best follow-up of Bobo. MANY new ideas, sleights and routines. You cannot do without.
Enjoy it as I did!
vlance
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of vlance
Michael Amar has very good video teaching series. I learned all from his stuff
salamangkero8888
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of salamangkero8888
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have read thru this thread and would like to add what I think would be very helpful for beginners. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that no one has even mentioned The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay (or did I just miss that post?). This was one of the first books I have read. This book is great for beginners since it does assume that whoever is reading it has absolutely no idea about the basics of coin magic, card magic, etc. It also, if I remember right, teaches fundamental theories about magic which the beginner should be familiar with. When it comes to learning coin magic, I would rank this as a notch higher than Bobo's book. I think learning the basics from this book then using the Bobo book as reference to more complicated sleights and routines would be a great way to start out. Am I the only who agrees with this? I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this book.

Salamangkero8888
sharingan
View Profile
New user
Finland
48 Posts

Profile of sharingan
Quote:
"NEW Modern Coin Magic".....(Hardback) by J.B.Bobo
"Coin Magic".......................(Hardback) by Richard Kaufman
"Expert Coin Magic".............(Hardback) by David Roth
"Magic by Gosh"..................(Hardback) by Pat Page & Albert Goshman
"Self working Coin Magic".....(Softback) by Karl Fulves

Best first coin book is?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
You beat me to it, Salamangkero, >The Amateur Magician's Handbook< by "Henry Hay" is my favorite. I, too, am surprised that no one had mentioned it until you did so. It is a book that rekindled my interest in magic after I got involved in other things while in college. To me it was an inspirational book and it is strong on coin magic. Bobo is indispensable for the coin worker, of course.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
My first coin book was Bobo's book and my first videos were Roth's Expert Coin Magic made easy. I love them.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Roth's ECMME and Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic are both THE tools to start in coin magic. My two -euro-cents.

Phedon
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic is a wonderful start, and as someone who usually prefers books, I would strongly recommend Bobo's book as a reference.

For those who haven't come across it, there's a great "study guide" for Bobo here:

http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/articles90.htm
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I've had a number of people ask me if my new book, 21st Century Coin Mechanics would be suitable for a beginner. The answer I've told them is no. This is a book for magicians who have some knowledge of coin magic and basic palms and grips. A beginner could theoretically learn the material in the book, since I leave nothing out in the descriptions and photos, but it wouldn't be easy. It would be like trying to learn Calculus without knowing basic algebra. Start with Bobo, Tarbell, or the Roth or Ammar videos.
solidimageartsllc
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
176 Posts

Profile of solidimageartsllc
Hi,

I was bitten by the coin magic bug 8 months ago and grabbed all that I could on the subject. Starting with Bobo's Modern Coin Magic immediately wetting my appetite, DVD purchases soon followed. For what its worth, a newbie, I found that I learned a lot (fairly quckly) from Michael Rubinstein's enclopedia of Coin Magic (Vol. 1-3) and David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. Rubinstein may be dry and purely technical, but his explanations were laser clear, allowing me to choose the method that felt most natural to me. Roth had everything: technique, wisdom, showmanship, etc. I also own Jay Sankey - a bit of a loon, but incredibly gifted, explained things well and inspirational for working on more advanced coin work. Then there's Michael Ammar - Complete Introduction to Coin magic, like Roth, offering the graduated buildup of technique, wisdom and showmanship.

All in all, the DVD's proved incredibly invaluable for my continued learning experience. The following list (from those that I've purchased) is my order of preference for learning Coin Magic.

Michael Ammar
Dr. Michael Rubinstein
David Roth
Jay Sankey

-Dan
Take infinite pain to make something look effortless - Michelangelo
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I absolutely agree with you Dan! And I would not hesitate to also obtain "21st Century Coin Mechanics", by Larry Barnowsky, as you can actually take what you've learned to a new level! There are tools here one will not find elsewhere...FCOP is just one. If you do any type of retention work? ... Well...let's just say I recommend it highly!

:bg:

Doug
solidimageartsllc
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
176 Posts

Profile of solidimageartsllc
Hi Doug,

Funny that you should mention Larry's book... I just bought it this morning! Smile I'm really hooked on learning retention work and have quite a way to go before I'm half as smooth as the senior posters here. I can hardly wait though to read and hopefully put into practice some of Larry's genius coin work.

Cheers!

Dan
Take infinite pain to make something look effortless - Michelangelo
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, Dan...

I felt like a beginner as I ran through the book...seeing moves or improvements on moves...plus combinations I've never HEARD of! Oh, to be able to master this stuff...for example...The Lucky Chinese Coin...there's a challenge for ya!

Also, compare Larry's Open Palm Retention Vanish with Rubinstein's Retention Open Palm Steal...then look at variation 2...this is what I'm talking about...you see, this is why owning this book is the perfect companion to Rubinstein's DVD sets. This gives you more variations on these tools.

Since seeing Mickey Silver's SUV (Silver's Ultimate Vanish), I've concentrated on my retention stuff. This book answered a question I've had for years. To wit, the 2nd half of a retention vanish and reappear. Showing both hands "empty", using a variation of The Ramsey Sublety (sp?), and a changeover. It's here in this book...and a lot more. Years of reading and practice!

Long live Count Elmsley! Smile

Doug
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I'll add a question to this topic by way of analogy.

I think most (many) would agree that the Royal Road to Card Magic is a/the "classic" text on card magic. Some also suggest that the Card College series is a bit more modern and easier to learn from.

So, my question is: If Bobo is the "classic" text on coin magic, is there a more modern analogue?

Thanks.
Regards,
Eric