The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..37~38~39~40~41..45..48..51..54..57~58~59 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree! Interestingly, I learned long ago to put myself closer to the level of my audience- especially children. Looks like you agree, Laurie, and being down on their level is very important, I think. I have even, when no chair was available, sat on my little mat (OK, some hang-over) on the ground. Makes a big improvement in relating...

Mary- can we see a pic of yours? Table, I mean... Smile

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Here is the back of the table the shelf is 6" below the top nd extends about 4" toward the back.

Click here to view attached image.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
This is a 30 min Little Kids show set out in order (mostly) on the shelf.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
This is the same show left in the box but still easy to grab if you know the box arrangement.

For a Birthday Party it is faster to leave it in the box.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Here are the grooves I made to accept the shelf. You can see my wood working skills and attention to detail are minimal but it gets the job done.

The leg in the back is one I added and it looks the same on the other side although all the legs are offset so they can fold in side by side.

-Mary Mowder

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-09-06 16:44, Mary Mowder wrote:
This is the same show left in the box but still easy to grab if you know the box arrangement.

For a Birthday Party it is faster to leave it in the box.

This looks good, Mary! Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
How are the legs holding up? Looks like a fairly deep cut, that would be my only concern. If the table can withstand them, though, that's a great improvement you made- good for you! Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Tom had the same concerns about the depth of the grooves. It seems fine. The addition of the back legs doubled the support and losing @ half that to the grooves makes it pretty much a wash. The least stable parts are the tiny hinges but so far so good. The table top and Magic are not heavy. Keeping the Kids from leaning on my table (which is on wheels) is a concern though.

I had to make the grooves that deep because I needed to accommodate a table top I had inherited. It pleases me to have items of loved ones incorporated into my show (and it was almost the perfect size).

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Looks great, Mary! I envy your woodworking skills...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim, you know I didn't make the table, right ?

I just cut some grooves and put on two hinges.

So if you ARE envious then I DON'T envy your wood working skills. LOL

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm alive! Just working, strolling gigs on the weekends. A little too busy for my own good with some TV-related projects but it's better than having nothing to do! Glad everyone's practice seems to be going well Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hi, Lady Mary!

Yes, I realized you were working over a commercial table. Still, having done my share of carpentry, I am in awe of those who can work dremels or, more awe, routers. I do love to make my own props if I can. I can walk around a Michaels Flowers for hours just looking...

Nice work...

Jim
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

On one of the other threads, someone posted a web site that is a treasure trove of cups and balls info. I have included the url below for the videos section- a fantastic collection of great C&B routines! Now I am all jacked up about committing to a practice regimen to hone a really good routine, as I have neglected this practice for awhile. Just have to figure out how to work it into my halloween gigs... little skulls, perhaps, bwa-ha-ha...

http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Cups-and-Balls-Videos.html

Happy practice, y'all!

Jim
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
What a great set of videos! Thanks Jim!

I've been working on the Jumping Knot (Darly's DVD) and Anniversary Waltz. Did AW Saturday night for the first time (25th anniversary for some friends) and it went very well. Just need mor opportunities to practice and get this one down - need the right couple!

How is everyone else doing? What are you all working on?

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

If you watch nothing else, the Paul Gertner performance at a TED conference is excellent in so many ways and very inspirational...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm back to my old ways of practicing several things at a time.

A wrist tie that Axel Hecklau teaches at his lecture. It is great, if done well, because It has the impact of the quick neck tie without putting a rope around your neck (which I am loath to do in front of Kids and it messes up my hair).

Rope Routine, because I have the rope in my hand and well...

A Silk from Newspaper effect because it is different and colorful and can be done to Music.

Miser's Dream. I had an easy version to start with and I loved the effect but the manipulation version is more versatile and (once learned) easier to deal with.

"Three Fly" and "Three Stylin'" because I'm not sure which way to go.

Significant family health issues are making me more stressed than usual and the practice really helps. Different practice for different moods.

I'm making good progress in three of the six and holding my own in the other three.

Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hi all!

Something about the shorter days and cooler nights, but I am getting a stronger urge to revisit some sleights and practice them up to performance status. My focus is now on halloween and the ways I can take routines into the bizarre realms.

Mary, what do you mean by "manipulation version" on MD? I do this often using essentially Capehart's techniques, but am always interested in new approaches.

Also trying to figure out how to find time to drive to NYC to see Blaine...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
By "manipulation version" I mean the regular method that most people doing MD use. Coin at finger tips, then clipped between middle fingers (hidden) and revealed at finger tips again.

The first method I used was simple and effective but was more work to get into and out of. I've P.M.ed the method I used before.

I'll PM anyone who wants to know. It is low tech and a great way to start with MD but apt to make you want to move on to the regular way.

-Mary Mowder
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Hey all,:wavey:

As Andrew said, "I'm Alive!" I took a break from magic for about a month. Had a lot going on with work and family. I'm gonna be doing some stuff for some homeless families that my church is housing this week, also my first magic competition on October 20 hosted by my Ring, I will be doing a couple of effects to the theme of Houdini Smile for our monthly Ring Meeting and I am presenting the Workshop on putting some character into your act, then I will do two 1/2 hour shows for my church during a Trunk or Treat event on October 28 and then the act I am doing for the competition will be my practice for our Hocus Pocus fundraiser for our Ring on November 3. I also have to fit some time to practice my table hopping routines for Hocus Pocus in addition to my stage act.

Mary congrats on your 3rd place finish and your success with Picto Transpo, I assume this is Gene Anderson version?

Keep up the goos work everybody, sounds like you are having fun.

Have a Great week! Smile

Pete
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Smile

Pete