The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..34~35~36~37~38..43..47..51..55..57~58~59 [Next]
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Nanci,

Never apologize for success!

We all have time crunches that derail plans. This thread is to help get you back on track when things get a little more "normal".

Come back when you can. Jim is right, Rope is excellent for busking. Rope can be learned one little effect at a time. It is great for interaction with people one or two at a time to build a tip and it can play big as well.

-Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I got my Picto-Transpo and I'm working with it.

I really love the effect and it seems very well made and does clean up as advertised. It is used but really nice.

I don't love the clean-up process of going through it a lot, the smell and mess (I'm working with the Permanent markers now) but my cat is really loving all my extra trips to the garage which inevitably end in a Kitty petting.

Good Magic and lots of Cat, what's not to like really?

Keep practicing.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Think a cat is great? Try a skunk!

Am getting ready to take Pepe, my pet spring skunk, to a 4th gig (actually the eve of the 3rd when all the fireworks are scheduled). It is going to be SO hot! Any of you have any ice effects that I can use to cool off???

Have a great holiday, all!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I used to do some costume work and we had a belt that would hold tubes of ice in it. We had to take a cooler to keep extra tubes for switch out. not very slimming in regular clothes.

I wonder if there is anything like that in an ankle bracelet. Perhaps something for sports medicine?

My Dad puts a really wet washcloth in a bag in his hat fits it to his head and carefully inverts it in the freezer till frozen before he mows the lawn.

I know these won't help tomorrow but I have to believe that there is some answer out there.

You're so cool you won't need it, Jim.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

"You're so cool you won't need it, Jim."

This is the nicest thing anyone has said to me at the Café! Merci!

Lord was last night hot! Even Pepe, my pet skunk was sweaty. I need to work on a routine where I magically go swimming without leaving the stage. Of course, there would be a bit of stripping to make it look realistic... just a bit...

Happy Independence day, all!

Regards,

Jim

Click here to view attached image.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I tried my new Book Test at a Teen and Tween (turned out to be all ages as usual) Close-Up Show today. This was at a Library so It is never really Close-Up but rather Close-Up that plays big plus a couple of Parlor effects that appeal more to Adults than to little kids. (Hence the Book Test).

This is the first time I've performed it since some major changes and I had only done it about 4 times prior to that.
I've been practicing a little daily for about a month plus a few hour long sessions and the mental drill really helped.
(I've been cross training with Picto Transpo).

I was amazed at how well it went over.
Not being too familiar with book tests I thought it might drag while the Spectator is reading the passage. Not really a problem, I had things to say.
The crowd really responded to the Volunteer's responses to my description of the passage the Volunteer had just read silently. I didn't expect this aspect to be that strong.

In a Show of tried and true material it got the Biggest response. It could be because it is new and exciting to me and that might show in my performance.
Anyway I was very pleased.

Now I'm wondering why the rest of the show wasn't quite as special. D'oh!

-Mary Mowder
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Congrats Mary! Always nice when a new routine goes well.

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Mary-

Was the rest of your show mentalism? I have never been able to mix magic and mentalism to good effect...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
With the few "Mental" effects I have, they seem to integrate well.

I do have what could be called a Trick, trick , trick Stand-Up Show. I have a very strong set but not a strong theme.

My basic context for the show is "We're all here for a good time, I'm here to entertain you, lets go!".

I think the audience sees the "Mental Magic" as just another Magic Effect.

If I'm showing them physical mastery over matter and energy in time/space (not a claim I make in the show) it doesn't seem to far a stretch that I'm able to do Mental Magic as well.

Especially in the context that I'm there as an Entertainer.

I know many have a problem with this format but my audience seem just fine with it and have a good time.

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Congrats Mary! A good time is what it's all about Smile

I went over to Pete Biro's house last night to pick up Joe Porper's linking finger rings, and holy smokes this thing is a work of art. Now to work on a presentation to really fry people. Pete and I had a nice chat about the history of the effect, and I can say that the first time I saw Pendragon do it at the castle I was moved beyond words. I am SO thrilled I saw it, as it was his last performance with Charlotte.

I'm meeting with Tony Clark on Sunday to go over some dove material. I'd like to up my game as far as working with the birds goes so I'm excited to see what he has in store for me.

In the close up arena, I'm working on bring the Okito box back into my close up sets at the castle, so I've been reviewing some David Roth footage. I have a routine I used to do but I'd like to spice it up. Phew! Maybe my plate is too full but I'm happy with how things are coming along Smile Happy practicing, everyone!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Sounds good, Mary! Smile
I was very recently thinking about doing more with Okito box, myself, Andrew. Also picked up my copy of Ross Bertram's Magic and Methods this week to look for something else with coins. Already have something I should be able to incorporate. Want to get doing more with the coins I'm already using, get some routines going. And as always, the goose! Want to get working with her. The sheep C&Bs later, I think. Want to work on expanding C&Bs with the cow, etc. first. Got a lot of animal figurines I'd like to start putting in... menagerie, indeed! Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you haven't already made the purchase check out a Boston box set.

http://www.topsmagic.com/index.php?cPath=1888

More work in routining but more provers as well. Of course it would depend on whether you could use the coins you want with the set.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hi, folks!

I would say "guys" but don't know if it is appropriate.

Hey, Laurie, how are you on giraffes? I just got animal cracker cookie cutters for a routine I am working up, but am wondering if permanent figures would work...

Andrew- you know everybody! Reminds me of a joke about the pope... I LOVE Tony's stuff, my fav being Slydini's 3 balls routine... Tony does it justice...

Speaking of Slydini, my latest practice schedule revolves around Slydini knotted silks. I am captured by how great this routine is- and STILL plays well! The guy was WAY out there!

Mary- You have inspired me to try the mix! I have a mentalism routine I have never tried, a book test that is stunning, and plan to merge it in with my other stuff.

You "guys" are all an inspiration to me, thank you all!!!

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Jim, I love giraffes! Haven't added any yet, but I might have to. Smile Just takes a little strategizing to decide how to handle the different figures.

Just FYI, I like Schleich animal figures and they can be found at reasonable prices with combined shipping on ebay. The TSC store here in town has stocked them, as well, and put them on sale sometimes, so I've picked some up there, including the goslings I've posted previously.

Here are some images of Schleich's wonderful craft.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Those are great, Laurie! I will look for some at my local TSC- Tractor Supply yes?

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2965 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I suppose that's right, Jim. I've only known it as TSC, til now. Smile

http://www.tscstores.com/FIGURINE-GIRAFFE-P7655.aspx
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Yup, I'm a farm boy...
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3032 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I worked on the Slydini silks a bit with Tony years ago, and then picked them back up when I saw Bill Malone doing them. I haven't done much with the routine in awhile and never really did perform it. Any thoughts/ideas, Jim?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

HI, Andrew!

I am just getting into them. I have had the L&L DVD for quite awhile, this after buying the Slydini silks written package and not being able to get them to work right. The L&L is very good- three very interesting routines with a lot of ideas- Draun, Cellini and Malone.

For some odd reason, Andrew, the more "new" stuff that comes out, the more I like the classics. I think the silks are a real winner. Close up, parlor or stage- and pack small - what more can one ask?

Taking some advice from Pop Haydn, who I respect, I likely will follow Slydini's routine, with just two additions from the DVD- Malone's false knot and Draun's. These are must-adds to me. I have a couple of things I do with a rope/silk routine, but will wait to put them in.

Here is a poor quality vid of Slydini doing most of the stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbTQA_4btQ

Good to hear from you!

Jim
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Very nice! Thanks for sharing Jim.

Hudson