The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Misled Pencil? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I have 2 BRAND NEW Misleds.

How much do the sell for.

I paid under $20 each for them. Long time ago.

But since their is a rarity for them maybe they are
worth much more.

Oh boy am I leaving myself open for some interesting comments and info.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Are you gonna use them? If not, I'm interested.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Sorry the knockoffs make you one less magic millionaire. nexnarf.

but try selling them for 1000 dollars. who knows.
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Here's a tutorial on YouTube on how to make your own Misled-type gimmick. The presentation is very systematic and detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moCHifrJjfU

Jim
Jim Wood
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
jawood@utep.edu
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Misled is finally back, you have been listened to and now you can get this classic effect.

Just received a promotional email from Stevens Magic, offering this for only $25.00.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/misled-timothy-wenk/
Ubernutz
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
I found the pencils that matched perfectly in Target in their school supply section
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
They did re-release it. And at a price that is wayyyy out of line imo. it's a limited thing I believe. That means you better buy a few extra gimmicks. The original came with a card for an extra one if you broke the one you had. Correct me if I'm wrong. 🙂. I bought an original for $10 or $15 back then. There was/ is also a similar effect using your finger thru bill that looked amazing. I can not for the life of me think of the name of it. Im pretty sure it wasnt called " finger thru bill". correct me if I'm wrong. haha! Maybe Bill Hegbli can chime in. 🙂 db
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2018, Dollarbill wrote:
They did re-release it. And at a price that is wayyyy out of line imo.

Taking inflation into account from the time of its original release, the $25.00 price tag is reasonable.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2018, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2018, Dollarbill wrote:
They did re-release it. And at a price that is wayyyy out of line imo.

Taking inflation into account from the time of its original release, the $25.00 price tag is reasonable.

I understand people need to make money. I am not against that. But inflation for that gimmick is "again imo" wayyyyy out of line. We pay for secrets and gimmicks and that secret and gimmick was about $10 bucks no more than $15. Now, I do not know if the new version comes with a dvd. If I had to guess it comes with the written instruction or the ever soo dreadful online instructions. 👎. I hate those! Tru-Dat. Color monte is still under $5 bucks and just as entertaining granted it is a different effect/trick. Just my opinion. db
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If the powers in Washington D.C. did not cause the depression of 2000, and 3 additional inflation hikes since. I would agree with Dollar Bill. But if you open a card of green beans, you will see only have the can has any green beans in it, the rest is water. So much for the law of packaging. Noticed that all caned vegetables are not put in smaller cans, and prices are being hiked up again.

Remember, the product had to be manufactured again, no reserve stock was held back to my knowledge.

Demand drives prices down according to economics, but it works in reverse according to gasoline prices. So consumer products is using the oil rich money grubbers methods for consumer products in this "NEW" economy.

And yes, Dollar Bill, it was originally sold for $15.00, not $10.00.

I did a little experiment at by last job in 2000, I showed Mislead, then performed Cigarette Through Quarter for the same employees. Hands down, all the employees said that Lite Cigarette Though Quarter was the best effect and penetration effect. Cig-Thru-Quarter was also $15.00 at the time.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
"Demand drives prices down but works in reverse for gasoline"..... LOL. well aint that the truth! 😂.

Point taken Bill. I just feel like its a bit overpriced. When I saw it re-advertised I thought, hey great, then I saw the price and thought "wha, wha, what?" 🙂 It is a great trick / illusion. I hope they sell a million of em'! or wait, maybe not. That's how the thumb tip got ruined. 🙂 Dang itI I shoulda kept my "Free Gimmick" card! 😛😂.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
A $9 increase in just 20 plus years, NOT bad in my humble opinion. What IS important is how much that particular

effect has on my audience (of course bringing my own style and personality to it).

Maybe Dick Oslund can chime in on what prices were "back in the day" and see how this compares.

Its not important what the cost is, what is important are YOU making it an entertaining piece of magic that others

are happy they witnessed it!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The oldest review I could find for Misled was in 2003, and it sold then for $15.00. According to the inflation index websites, the monetary inflation increase factor from 2003 to now would be $20.50. Wenk also claims the new version of the gimmick is made out of a different material. More durable perhaps to decrease the chance of breakage? Plastic is great--but it breaks easily.

The basic rule of economics is the price goes up when demand goes up, and when demand goes down, prices are slashed. That goes for the oil markets as well. We're still in a basically low demand high output period with crude oil. Gas has been in the $3.00 per gallon range for quite some time where I live.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The oil company announced that they increase price of gasoline to control usage. They also increase the price when they have a refinery problem anywhere in the US. As nothing to do with consumer usage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mislead came out on the magic market exactly on week after the David Copperfield television special that he presented the effect on the show. I believe that was in the 1970's, before consumer VCR's.

I was totally surprised to see the booklet displayed at the local magic shop so quickly. I believe that was the fastest distribution of a magic effect in the history of magic, after appearing on a television special.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I think Bill is right on this one Kaliix. When the supply is not there the price goes up to slow down the purchases. That is the big oil explanation for gas prices fluctuating (i'm not sure how to spell that. ha!) supposedly. Now when the prices get jacked up for the summer, well I believe that is just Big Oil GREED. 🙂. But were not talking big oil. we're talking Mis-Lead. 👍😀.. I still think $20 is a much fair-er price. 👌 db

maybe Timothys costs went wayyyyy up. But I don't think the gimmick cost very much to make. I want to make clear that I'm not tryin' to bad mouth anybody. Timothy included.. 😀
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Bill,

I'm pretty sure Misled was out before David Copperfield performed it on television. However, AFTER David Copperfield performed it on television, magicians started a feeding frenzy at the dealers...

Julie
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Julie wrote:
Hi Bill,

I'm pretty sure Misled was out before David Copperfield performed it on television. However, AFTER David Copperfield performed it on television, magicians started a feeding frenzy at the dealers...

Julie

What year was that Copperfield special? It could not have been in the 1970s, much later than that. Copperfield's first special was in 1979 or 1980.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
I do not know the date(s) of the Copperfield Specials.

J
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Julie wrote:
I do not know the date(s) of the Copperfield Specials.

J

Copperfield performed Misled on his 12th Escape from Niagara Falls Special in 1990. Misled came out shortly after that. According to the Dollar Times website, $15.00 in 1990 is now $29.32. I believe Wenk sells this for $25.00 so his price is absolutely reasonable.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The original release date for Misled was March 1987, so according to Dollar Times, $15.00 in 1987 is now equivalent in 2018 to $33.46. Wenk is undercharging for this effect.