The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: The Secret Life of Houdini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And you are wrong about the length of time of copyrights, Oleg. In the US, there are several different applicable lengths of copyright, and they are ALL much longer than you might think.

I have extracted the following information from an article by Richard Stim, which may be found here: http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/2/obj......136/CHK/

It depends on when the work was created and who created it.

1. Works published from 1909 -1921.
The initial copyrighted term of the work was 28 years from the date of publication. This could be extended by another 28 years upon application during year 28.

2. Works published from 1922 - 1963. This started with a 28 year copyright and was followed by a 67 year extension. (upon application during year 28)

3. Work s published from 1964 - 1978 28 years with an automatic extension of 67 years.

4. Works published after 1978.

by a single author -- life of the author + 70 years.
for multiple authors -- life of the last surviving author + 70 years
works for hire 95 years from date of publication or 120 years from date of creation, whichever is less.
for anonymous or pseudonymous works, same as works for hire.

Incidentally, by extracting the information and re-wording it, I am not violating Richard Stim's copyright; however, if I quoted the whole article without permission, I would be.

In books publised in the US, we usually credit the photos in a book either in footnotes, a photo credit in the front or back of the book or near the photo.

Since the GRU and the US now recognize each other's copyrights, we are obligated to observe each other's copyright regulations, even when they conflict with ours. The Berne accord, which both of our countries have signed onto has helped to equalize copyright regulations in all countries that have signed on to it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Dear Willard.

I can not be wrong because I never wrote about US patent. I nothing understand in this subject. When in USA peoples began made patents in Russia used Censors Department. When Erdnase patented his book Russians wrote date when censor watch book and give permission for publishing. After revolution on 1917 all publishing rights goes to our government. Just last 20 years we "try looks like foreigners". This attempt made so strange forms that month ago one man made copywright on "smiling" ( Smile )

What Russians "really think" about copywright we can understand by book of Mr. Kenneth Silverman. Russian Publisher not keep in secret copywright of author, but still published it, and Mr. Silverman nothing hear about new book. 2004 was not on last century, but it was just 5 years ago!!! This Publisher has page in Internet! I will be interesting what Publisher can answer on letter from author about author rights... (BTW. Translation very much strange)
Stepanov Oleg Anatolievich
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Stepanov,

Did you get a chance to see the pictures I menntioned?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Just now I realize what you wrote on previous message. I supposed you meant book from this thread and find only "Now you see... now you do not...". When I understand you meant Silverman's book I easy find them.

Apologize. I little do not understand. You know I have this book and you ask me...

Please. Do you have Russian version of Silverman's book?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Yes, I have it. That's why I mentioned there weren't any photo credits. I told Ken Silverman the name of his book in Russian and he had a good laugh.

I have few mentions in the Houdini The Spy book too. Has that been published over by you?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Quote:
I told Ken Silverman the name of his book in Russian and he had a good laugh.
You mean "Great and Terrible"? Hardly believe you realize what it means for Russians. "Great and Terrible" was Gudvin (Goodwin). Man-magician inside book "Wizard of the Emerald City" by Volkov, 1939. This is SUPER POPULAR taile for children. (One of my favourite book) This is REWRITING of Baum's book "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". On Russian language Houdini written like Gudini. Some of peoples suppose Gudvin by Volkov was based on name Gudini.

So. On deep language "Houdini. Great and Terrible." can means "Houdini - fake".

Quote:
Has that been published over by you?
Please. I am real Russian. I am not from movie where Russian played by American actors and understand everything but with bad pronounce. Do you ask about translation? The book "Secret Life of Houdini" never be translated on Russian. I buy it by Internet and inside my copy I can see all credits under photoes. Is it what you ask?

If you ask am I publishing this book by myself, I should explain. I respect author laws! I translate books by 1858, 1861 and 1902 years. All of them public domain.

I can call myself highest fighter of authots laws in magic field in Russia. You can not believe how many enemy I get here by propagande of civilized life... :-(
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Over here, the Wizard of Oz character is supposed to be based on Harry Kellar.

No, I wasn't asking if you are publishing the book. I just wanted to know if you had to see some my items.

I'm just happy that is so much easier over here to get the books I want. I wish it was easier for you.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Quote:
Over here, the Wizard of Oz character is supposed to be based on Harry Kellar.
I knew it. But looks like Volkov did not hear this name.

Quote:
No, I wasn't asking if you are publishing the book. I just wanted to know if you had to see some my items.
Of course. And be sure - I envy you. Smile
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Don't envy me, I share. If you need books from here, especially Houdini Smile, just let me know.

Can your read English? Or do what I do and translate an item with a computer. I'm lucky I can bearly speak English.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Thanks for your kindness. I am really need something but not books. I need information. I am collector like you but my interests belong to electronic documents. To be Russian, I suppose all rare stuffs should belong to the World and placed on Museums.

I search photos with Houdini in Russia. Any book where possible to see Houdini and some of words on Cyrillic behind his back... This is so amused me. I can get thousands of photos from different countries, and looks like in Russia he lost his photo-camera... If you suppose Russia was Barbarian Country without cameras, I will be happy inform you that on 1905 Prokudin-Gorsky made colored photos...

I am so apologize that my messages give you possibility suppose I use computer to translate. Smile I can read paper books but not fast and understand 80-90%. When I translate for publishing I use electronic devices and paper books. Also I connect with my foreign friends and ask help for difficult places.

Apologize. What is your native language?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

My ONLY language is English. That's why I'm impressed that you can converse in two. Very good.

I don't have any photos of when he was in Russia. Even his Russian pitchbook only has three(3) photos, including the cover. I think those photos were taken in Germany anyway. Maybe he wasn't allowed to use his camera when he was there. He may not even owned one at the time.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Quote:
That's why I'm impressed that you can converse in two.
I never wrote I can converse only on two languages. Smile I like find errors on English translatings from French "Memoirs of Robert Houdin". I am happy to read letters of Lichtenberg about Philadelfia on German.

Quote:
Even his Russian pitchbook only has three (3) photos, including the cover. I think those photos were taken in Germany anyway.
Looks correct. For book of adventures he should use information from previous places...

Quote:
Maybe he wasn't allowed to use his camera when he was there. He may not even owned one at the time.
He can meet Russian Czar but wasn't allowed to use his camera on street? Hm...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Oleg:

I misunderstood what you wrote when you stated:
Quote:
Copywrights we begin use only last 15-20 years. But this is not real copywright. We just write it on book "for beauty"... Just for Russian books looks civilised...

The word "last" has several different meanings in English.
One meaning "to last" is "to endure," as in the sentence, "Good shoes last longer than bad shoes."

It can also mean "at the end" or "in the final" position -- as in "When Joe, John and Frank ran the race, Joe came in first, John came in second and Frank was last."

Or it can mean "most recent," which is what I now realize that you meant in that sentence. I had interpreted it much differently.

However, when you state that the copyrights are just being put on Russian books "for beauty," I would take very strong issue with you. You are not aware of this, but during the Cold War, the US did not recognize copyrights of items from Iron Curtain countries. Now that the cold war is over, music publishers have been forced in courts to pay three years of back royalties (which is the legal limit) for all of the material that was published during the Cold War. This is for things like the works of Kabalevsky, for example.

By the way, there is a very specific distinction between patent and copyright. Patent refers to systems, mechanical devices and definable methods. Copyrights refer specifically to printed works, graphical works, photographs and the like. Sculpture is also copyrightable.

Translations are covered by both the original author's copyright and the copyright of the translator and these are handled sometimes as works for hire and sometimes as personal copyrights. But to be legal, a translation must have the author's consent.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

He was supposedly given a Faberge egg from the Czar. I wonder where that wound up?
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov
Dear Willard.

It was just "pathetic" and "satiric" words. Under "we" I mean "Russians". Last 15-20 years I mean 1990-2009. Of course, all my words have negative tone to this situation...

On the best Russian books about history of magic by Vadimov, published on 1966, there are no any copywrights at all (100 000 issues). On 1979 (50 000 issues) was second edition but I do not know what happened with copywright.

On 1987 my ideas was published inside book of Eugeny Gik. It was just one copywright by Publisher.

On 1990 I participate on book about puzzles "Caleydoscope of Games". Under all my chapters was written "(C) O. A. Stepanov. 1990." I ask editor (my friend) what is this? He answered "Do not worry. This is just for stupid thiefs. They will see it and think before stole..."

Unfortunately, my knowledge on this question finised. I know only that book of Silverman was published without permission of author...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of my books went behind the Iron Curtain without any kind of compensation; however, I didn't mind it at all, really. It was a book I wrote in 1965 about how to play the 5-string banjo. Now that the Iron Curtain has lifted, I find that many of the banjo players from various Iron Curtain countries learned to play the instrument from photocopies of my book.

It doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, it gives me a good feeling when someone from one of these places recognizes my name at a bluegrass festival or some other event where "banjo" is spoken.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Stepanov
View Profile
Regular user
Russia, St. Petersburg
184 Posts

Profile of Stepanov