The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: L & L Publishing Proudly Presents Max Maven's NOTHING DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
Does that satisfy the tricksters now?

No, I want a cookie. Seriously though, thanks for the great reviews guys. After I get a little more money saved up I will definitely buy this thing. Everything Max releases is first-rate and I'm glad to see this did not disappoint.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4555 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2006-10-17 14:05, cfrancis wrote:
Wonderful dvds. The effects are outstanding. But the real gold here are the explanations and discussions with Michael Weber. Great stuff.

If you are looking for a bunch of tricks, this is not the dvd for you. Don't get me wrong, the effects are very strong. But there are eight effects total and most of them are designed for the stage. If your looking for great ideas and food for thought, this is a dvd set you will love.

There's also a bonus commentary track where Max breaks everything down during the performance. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it looks to be very interesting.
So the what's on the dvd is not good for close up?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
You could adapt some of the effects for close up. The watch routine, for example, could be done in a close up setting, I suppose. The magazine test could be done.. I probably won't do any of these effects as demonstrated. But there are some great principles at work here.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I was actually worried that this would be a DVD just with effects.
I already grew a bit tired with those.
But looking at the review, this might seem like my cup of tea~
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

I'm with you, Phil. And this dvd is packed with valuable info. Not that I don't love tricks. I do. But I consider myself a performer, not a collector. This dvd set was a great investment. It's caused me to think about what I do and how I do it. And I like that.

But don't get me wrong, the effects are great, too.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
je4thomas
View Profile
New user
Now in Southwest China
53 Posts

Profile of je4thomas
Quote:
On 2006-10-17 16:02, jeremysweiss wrote:
The commentary overlayed on the show is just incredibly insightful--he takes you in his mind, while he is doing minor adjustments on the fly.
I think most people watch a DVD or read a book and do it as taught/written. But Max shows you why every moment in a show gets tweaked. This is a skill that performers need to develop over time. Assessing and re-assessing on the fly. It is the discussions that are the big value here.

What a great insight. Besides this being Max that is the biggest selling point. Thanks Jeremy.

e
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Easter Egg... well it may not be a true Easter Egg.. if you watch all the way to the end and listen to Max talk about the credits he will tell you where to go for a little something special...

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Besides the commentary, are there any other Easter Eggs?
OffTheGrid
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of OffTheGrid
I liked the sound if this DVD...not least because I often enter a town with only ten bucks in my pocket. Smile

But having read between the lines of the reviews above, this sounds like a case of the emperor's new clothes to me. I think I'll stick to Annemann.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Huh? How is this the Emperor's New Clothes? Where did you get that from? The material is great, the adivice is great, the insights are great. What more do you want?
OffTheGrid
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of OffTheGrid
What I mean is that some people would have pre-ordered this looking for new mentalist material...

quote from Nicodemus: "The effects themselves are not especially earth shattering "

quote from leapinglizards: "Methodology-wise, the experienced psychic entertainer will probably deconstruct most of what is going on during the show as it is going"

And when posters are saying things to the effect of, "it's not about the effects, it was worth $100 just to hear Maven's opinion on the history..." and " I would gladly have paid twice that amount just for Max's eyebrow grooming tips" I steer clear. Perhaps some are justifying to themselves paying $100 to hear someone talk about what are essentially ho-hum stage tricks when what they expected was mind-boggling mentalism material. (Surely SOME of the people who pre-ordered it expected that).

Just my opinion, of course. But I'll still stick with Annemann.

Rick
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 09:12, OffTheGrid wrote:
What I mean is that some people would have pre-ordered this looking for new mentalist material...

quote from Nicodemus: "The effects themselves are not especially earth shattering "

quote from leapinglizards: "Methodology-wise, the experienced psychic entertainer will probably deconstruct most of what is going on during the show as it is going"

And when posters are saying things to the effect of, "it's not about the effects, it was worth $100 just to hear Maven's opinion on the history..." and " I would gladly have paid twice that amount just for Max's eyebrow grooming tips" I steer clear. Perhaps some are justifying to themselves paying $100 to hear someone talk about what are essentially ho-hum stage tricks when what they expected was mind-boggling mentalism material. (Surely SOME of the people who pre-ordered it expected that).

Just my opinion, of course. But I'll still stick with Annemann.

Rick

I don't think this is quite right. The material is not "new" because nothing is NEW entirely. Max's point, is the same as Newton's..."If I have seen farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants". There are new teaks and modifications, subtle enough to burn the most clever of performers. The effects are not ho-hum at all! They are terrific and well worth. the price. The point is that you are getting MORE than great tricks. You are getting some amazing, thoughtful teaching about presentation, history or the tricks, etc. It is the most "complete" DVD ever created and I have 100's. It is to the DVD world as to what Ammar's first series was with "superpractice". It sets a new standard.
Jeremy
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Offthegrid, I can tell you myself that the tricks are not Ho-Hum at all. In fact, they're fantastic! All we are saying is that there is so much more to it than just the tricks. What is presented here is a complete 50 minute act. Not just, trick, trick, trick, but a well thought out piece of theatre which is an education in and of itself. With a few exceptions, not too many magic dvds out there offer that.

I think jeremysweiss, is right on. This is a complete package. If you like Annemann, you'll like the material on these dvds as a few things are right out of Annemann but with some of the wrinkles ironed out.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
I just tried out synchronicity and this absolutely floored my wife, it killed, she did not have a clue, this routine and para-sight are worth the price of the dvd's in my opinion, does anyone have any favourties of there own.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

One more thing: just because an experienced mentalist might be able to deconstruct the material doesn't mean anything unless you are performing for experienced mentalists. The question is, is the material strong enough for lay audiences. Unquestionably, yes. But I also think some of this stuff would fool some magicians and mentalists. I was fooled a few times.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 13:27, takashi miike wrote:
I have just downloaded these and they aint bad.

Sorry?
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
I received the DVD's today.
All I can say is : Nothing is Everything!!!

I wish I knew what he wispered Smile

Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Me too.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
850 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On 2006-10-19 13:27, takashi miike wrote:
I have just downloaded these and they aint bad.

Whaaaaaaa?.......Saaaaaaaay.... wait a minute.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Yeah, I don't get that.