The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (533 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29~30..33~34~35 [Next]
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4691 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I thought you were referring to my first video lol. He does it very well. But concentration on the technique (unless it is second nature) takes away from the effect. My guess is most have their own favorite vanish, and use it to great success.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
"unless it is second nature" - should not any sleight be practiced to automaticity before inflicting it effect on the public?

I was mentored early on of the importance of "never happened" as a factor using a sleight to create illusion.
Often the notion of "takes away from the effect" means exposure and disappointment.

As noted above, having a "favorite vanish" should have little to do with its appropriateness for an effect.
Look to the desired end result of the effect and work backwards. What will be the story told to grandchildren?

But, I agree that most have favorite false transfer sleight. "Success" may be a stretch.

Most people have a favorite food flavor call "salt." That is not a success either.

I have learned several sleights from you Doc - ready for an effect where they might be better that other options.
None are my "favorite" - but not your fault. I have many sleight of my own creation to use instead as they suit my disabilities and and style.

Usually, I watch all new technique displays to discover what I don't like - and then modify mine to avoid the same mistakes or flaw.

My 'favorite" is when a person relates how a coin impossible vanished from my hands when I never held a coin at all.
Getting them to see and remember a coin that never existed is surely better magic than any Retention technique.
Can't make a video of it though Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4691 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
My point is that in today's magic, people are more concerned about the nuances of the technique rather than the effect. Do you think it really matters to the public that there is no finger touching the coin when the hand closes? What they need to believe is that you placed the coin into the hand. If you can do that, you have acheived your goal. Of course I understand that this is a magician's forum, and we can banter about minutiae until the cows come home but in the real world, you do what you need to do to get the action accomplished. I perform a fingertip shuttle pass which I think is better than the Roth shuttle pass, but if you do Roth's shuttle pass and do it well,great.
My intention was not to hijack the thread, so I am going to gracefully back out and return this thread to Marion's wonderful idea of showcasing good magic that others may not have seen.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It’s always good to look back at some of the classic moments in coin magic, and to that you have to find a classic of a performer. This guy was one of the very best, and his attention to detail and expert demonstrations of misdirection are legendary and remain forever inspiring…Here’s just a “pinch” of one on his most greatest effects…

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
148 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Alex Soza's clips have far fewer views on youtube than he deserves. One more reason to share this link is knowing about Mb's passion for transposition routines:

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you, Marcel. WOW! Just so much good work there from Mr. Sosa…just a bevy of some amazingly refreshing coin work. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of dj
Helge Thun - Triple Double Rib Off Coins :
https://youtu.be/1obxNNGk_Rw?si=Al1R2JGJ8aknEsUe
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks dj, Helge is always fun to watch and a wiz with coins. Another good find for greater review here. Man, there are so many good workers out there that do their thing in so many wonderful ways. Some you might remember for the day, others for years to come and some you just might remember forever. Smile

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
Man, there are so many good workers out there that do their thing in so many wonderful ways.
Some you might remember for the day, others for years to come and some you just might remember forever. Smile

Yes Marion, that's true.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
148 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
Man, there are so many good workers out there that do their thing in so many wonderful ways. Some you might remember for the day, others for years to come and some you just might remember forever. Smile

Speaking of remembering wonderful ways to do something, I thought of this well worth remembering routine.

We will see how often we are reminded of this young talent.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I’m thinking we will hear much more from this young man for sure. Just a marvelously creative routine. Love all the ways he makes the magic happen. And placing in a best of the best world competition like FISM, well, that’s nothing to sneeze at as you gotta be really good just to get there.

You have to crawl before you can run, and I think Mr. Henri Hainz here will be running real soon, perhaps 1st across the finish line one day. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It’s a classic effect, and I actually have my own versions of it that I have shown here. But this is another wonderful take on it, many years old now but still as sharply done with wonderful technique, and as clever as ever… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
There are coin effects that set the stage as to your learning. Typically it is the classic tricks that show the larger uses of all of what’s involved in coin magic. For me, this was a routine that just blew me away. It also sent me on my way toward some interesting discoveries of some old deceptions in the art that at the time I was not as familiar with.So glad I took the time with it that I did. I might’ve mentioned this piece before, but If I didn’t, I sure should’ve…It is an amazing piece of coin magic, still to me after all these years.

I hope you can see and appreciate the old world beauty in it here…And it’s from another wonderful coin guy that turned out to be one heckuva closeup man as well with a ton of amazing magic to his credit…

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes J, sl*e*ing is like a lost part of coin magic in these times. But I was so enamored with it, I pursued learning it in all its deceptive ways. When you can do it good like this, man, you can blow people away on the spot. I would think in the old days, many magicians used the move but now, I would have to agree that it is hardly used anymore. But to me, that’s a good reason to learn it as no one would be expecting such out front deception. It truly looks magical. Of course you need sl*e*es, but I worked in an environment where I wore a suit most days, so,I was always set, and man did I put on a show with it…drove people nuts! Smile You can do all kinds of on-the-spot magic with it. It should certainly be at least an elective on your coin & closeup journey. Smile

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
148 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
I once saw a relatively young Asian with an incredible routine using it as a download, but I can't remember the name...
Maybe it's gone a bit out of fashion because it's the technique most people expect. I had an interesting conversation with Marc Weide (you might know him because he won the FISM with Parlour, but he's also an experienced coin magician, which perhaps is only known in Germany). He told me how many times he had heard this. Although he usually pushes them up for this reason, it was still assumed...
I tend to practice a**ing sleights. Not least because I rarely wear the right clothes. Clement the Natale (among others) is really good at it. Watch out for the vanish/reproduction at 1:20:
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good piece here! He has a really good handle on the moves he uses to create the magic. I would say that developing harmony as to the sleights and your actions is what makes it all work. The better you get at it, the more second nature it all becomes. This magi is another wonderful example of that. ‘Twas ever thus.. Good practice indeed makes perfect. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, a little story… Smile

I was at the dentist recently and he was all ready for another coin trick but I said let’s try something else, how about my Grandpa’s Famous 4 Ace Trick, “Have I ever shown it to you?” Smile His face lit up to watch. And it was nice to switch up and do something besides coins. I know, blasphemyd, right? Smile

Anyway, I told him that most people have a problem following 52 cards in a deck, and so that’s why I only carry these 4 Aces…It should make it a whole lot easier to follow. Smile He watched with amazement all the way through at every turn up of an ace from the face down cards. He was befuddled at how in the world was that happening from a simple turn of the cards, nothing fast or fishy to it, and none of his many degrees & awards hanging all around the office could help explain such sorcery. Smile Man, he bubbled-up like a child and gave me the biggest hug. I swear, I think that’s why my bill is never as high as they first charge me. Smile

Happy Holidays ahead…Peace on earth, Good will towards men. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know that most all coin guys have used the coin roll as a sorta interlude within their coin magic sets. It’s a fun thing to do and is a neat seque into moving on into another coin trick, etc. I have been doing it for decades now, just takes a little practice and you can do it backwards and forwards, with both hands, etc. So, I’m bringing this up because there are a lot of neat moves with coins that aren’t magical per se, but fun little things you can do with them that are still amazing to specs and that can still lead into other routines. I remember watching Eric Jones bouncing a coin up off his arm after sending it rolling down his arm…Nice touch to everything else he could do so expertly. Smile

Well anyway, here’s another guy you might not hear much about if at all, but he’s a really good street performer and as magical as anybody with all sorts of closeup effects, and with a really good handle of coins as well…Here, take a look and see for yourself… And I say, if you’re able to show such dexterity amidst your coin/closeup work, then why not as it’s all apart of the show. Card guys have been doing it forever, every time you see them spring the cards from hand to hand, or do some of those fancy cuts with one hand, etc.,all apart of the presentation. Smile Glad I learned a little of all that too. Smile Anyway, check this out. Smile

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
148 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Nice one. Reminds me of kicking around my rings while trying to follow Joshua Messado. Practicing this seems to me like a good way to loose your coins Smile
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
148 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
No juggling her, but this blew my mind:
Smile