The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (537 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..23~24~25~26~27..33~34~35 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2023, harris wrote:
It's fun in the middle of a routine to vanish a coin
without technique, yet many will pass over the simplicity.

or to have strange objects appear to be set aside for later - as if never really controls magic.
Great fun and astonishment when a red ball appears in the middle of a coin routine, then another,
until the performer"give in" and shifts to a cup routine.

Same with a vanish - suddenly I have only three coins. What can I do with them?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I was writing of the vanish of one coin.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2023, harris wrote:
I was writing of the vanish of one coin.

That too. Just supporting the notion that an unexpected vanish can be perceived differently from and expected one.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I remember in a trick by John Carey, at the end he would give the coin a slight toss upward toward the other hand and it would vanish. It actually looked pretty nice. Might’ve been in his version of Fading Coin?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes Marky, it was his version of Takahashi’s, Fading Coin. Carey called it “Make Believe,” and it is actually done a completely different way. It’s a wonderful effect with 3 invisible coins. Brings a little mentalism to your coin work. Smile Packs small but plays BIG! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know, I know…I hear people all the time say that YouTube is full of schlock! I guess a bit of that might have some truth to it, but there’s an awful lot there is that is quite amazing, and a lot of times from just about anybody sometimes. For instance…tell me, and don’t be shy, just who is doing a vanish of a coin any better, any more magical than this…

Great thinking don’t always come from the top. Just seek beyond all you’ve been told, and ye shall find that there is amazement just about everywhere. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I think you are right my friend, tremendous work coming from these young guys, it is quite amazing…It does really look like magic. Best of all, though it appears highly technical to do, it really is not and within the grasp of anyone willing to give but a bit of practice, which is always necessary for anything worth having. Smile

I think a quick encore is well deserved here… I’ve seen many magicians do a lot of good work as to coin vanishes, Al Schneider comes to mind, Mickey Silver too… but this work is some of the very best I’ve seen on this most amazing part of coin magic. If you’ve seen anything better at the fingertips, let us know here. In the meantime,, ust beautiful!

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I’ve always like when people do things a different way. To me, it is creativity in action. I think the examples of the Blink Vanish above are exactly that too. Here is a magician doing one of the great old coins across effects but in a sorta different way. I haven’t seen it done like this much at all…Have you?

funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
I’ve always like when people do things a different way. To me, it is creativity in action. I think the examples of the Blink Vanish above are exactly that too. Here is a magician doing one of the great old coins across effects but in a sorta different way. I haven’t seen it done like this much at all…Have you?

Some of the early moves are nice, but the repetition of the left hand rearrangement can create suspicion. And the final phase diminishes in comparison.

Methinks this can be improved by a combination of methods rather than reliance on a single "impressive" action.

Thanks for showing it. Everyone can learn something here to enhance a favorite routine.

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
164 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Wow, this thread has become my favorite and it just keeps getting better. Time to say thank you for sharing!

Quote:
On Oct 2, 2023, Mb217 wrote:
If you’ve seen anything better at the fingertips, let us know here. In the meantime,, ust beautiful!

I would not say that is is better, but you might like this as well

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of dj
Amazing Dice Stacking demonstration by german magician Helge Thun. Watch the video until the end.
The video is in german language:
https://youtu.be/bBX54VqvgRA?si=SJgV2hb6zQx-P7VL
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Appreciate the comments from funs about the coins across, and yes, I would think to use a piece of it as well as being most effective and to cut down on all the redundancy of what plays as a wonderful looking display.

MarcelR, Welcome to the Cafe, and thanks for the kind comments here. You’re most welcome and happy you appreciate my efforts in this string to share a lot of all kinds of coin magic from all sorts of people, the big, the small & all of us. Appreciate you bringing this wonderful worker to our attention here. He looks to be doing the same sort of coin vanish as Eric Chien and Zee as to the seeming mechanics of it, but seemingly with a bit more openness to his hands in his displays. Me likey, and I will be looking further into Juan Colas’ work. I’m sure a lot of people here will now, as it is absolutely, magically beautiful. Smile

And dj, always love to see all sorts of magic. I think it helps to make your favorite brand of magic even more interesting, or at least makes you a more interesting closeup performer. I’ve seen dice stacking before, but man this guy is on another level with it. Loved the performance!

Keep it coming guys. Smile

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
164 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
I'm glad I found something you didn't know yet. After this impressive collection of Coin Magic videos, I almost did not expect to be able to contribute something new. I'll try again:

About Juan Colas, there seems to be not much coinmagic you can buy. This is the other one I found:

I like this routine as well: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVdBa2aI8Jl/
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you again here, Marcel. Smile

The Matrix is quite clever, but the One Coin by Juan Colas is just wonderful. Why? Well, because it’s not done the usual way magicians do a One Coin Routine, pulling coins from their elbows, arms, etc. It is much more streamlined and showcases much better vanishes and productions. It is a wonderful little piece. To me, it is much more magical than a regularly put OCR. And this is why we should look everywhere as to things, and not so easily accept the beaten path as usually instructed by all those that see it one way…”theirs” and those they respect as to the way things should be done. No disrespect intended, just a greater recognition of the big, small & all of us in this thing.

This guy reminds me a lot of another wonderful SOH guy, Mano, as to his movements and overall presentation, not to mention the deceptive elegance of his hands and fingers. It is just amazing to watch. Makes you wonder here how such a worker has, to my knowledge, never been mentioned here by those that know and or those that just want to better understand and or share stunningly good magic. Oh, well… his work is on display here now and believe you me, I’m sure people are watching and thinking as to it, they cannot “unsee” such brilliance, such powerful magic.

It was always my hope here that this string would spark discussion and display of not just the usual, but the unusual from the known and unknown…especially the unknown or not known much. Thank you for posting it. Smile

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
164 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Glad you like it. Yes, it's wonderful. I have not yet bought, but the one from Mario and Ponta the Smith, the routine from Ponta (Vol 1) because it is in my opinion for beginners very well suited to practice. It's really just about the flow, no difficult moves, but a quite usual flourish and suitable to impress in this thread.
If you don't know it, I suggest you visit the guys' site:
https://theimpossibleco.com
The routine is part of a small series of 6 pieces, each costing less than 5 bucks. I discovered it while searching for the great "One Fly" by Mario Lopez (I think that one is known, so no post here). I read some reviews from the Magic Café™ there, so I thought the site was known here.

I love this project, but I don't have the confidence to do that yet, but one day I will buy it. It's a playlist with 8 Routines, so I didn't post all of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAA_dNBi......&index=1
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don’t think the site is so well known but that’s what this string has been all about, bringing things into better view.

I have come across some things from Rall, and remember now enjoying the grace of his quick coin magic pieces….Very nice! It’s interesting how some things become so well known while some fine others may not. Perhaps a lot of it may be because of “follow the leader” and so you might not ever see or go other ways. I guess such is life. I remember not hearing of Giacomo Bertini here until his fine & unique coin work was brought to the attention of this forum.

Anyway, it’s good that good news can come from anywhere at anytime and still be recognized for its value, brilliance and worth. Sorta like finding a diamond, no matter how long it is buried, whenever found it will be admired & appreciated.

With that, this is an absolutely great way to do a more interesting & amazing Spellbound from yet another real “gem“ of a coin worker out there…

funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
If looking at earth-shaking effects, I would love to see R. Paul Wilson's "Knock Em Dead" video featuring his famous "Crowded Coins/Scottish Fly" routine.
Just reading the written version from 1994 could change the thinking of all coin-workers as he focuses on the need for "making things relevant" over just skill demonstrations.

Does anyone have a copy they might share here?

"Sleights should solve problems in an effect, not create them. These days it seems to me that many people actually think it adds to an effect when more coins are used, the coins are signed, or the routine becomes a catalogue of poorly executed, badly conceived sleights. Magicians want to see moves. Lay people want to see effects." R. Paul Wilson

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I am a big fan of short effects as they are instantly magical and or can be included in other things for even greater effect. This is a nice bit of kit and glad it was mentioned here…

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
164 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Danny Goldsmith has a feature right now, so I came across Jeffery Wang. There are some very nice moves that I haven't seen before:

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
There are some clever moves to the magical Mr. Wang there. I think sometimes magicians that present their works like this are somewhat dismissed because they don’t show them always in larger routine. In American magic, routines are important. But to their defense, it’s hard to believe that these guys have such ability and couldn’t do routines with what they show. I think they can, and more. Some of these moves are truly clever, as I showed above from Eric Chien & Zee. This kind of thinking does not usually come from magi’s that have done something or thought something one way in most of their lives. For me, I always see the potential in tomorrow in these presentations. Smile