The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..32..38..44..50..56..57~58~59 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Drills make perfect sense! That's how I rehearsed before taking my pilot exam and it worked wonders. Haven't crashed a plane yet! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I videotaped my contest act (in the kitchen) and the Magic was fine but the body language, posture and engagement were near zero. I hope the taping will help my performance rather than demoralize me. One of my better skills is that I panic in time to make a good fix. Time to panic!

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I just wanted to extend a HUGE thank you to both Mary and Jim for sending me some stuff to work on while I've been here at home without any of my props or books. It was extremely kind and means a lot, so thank you both. I appreciate it more than I can say!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You're most welcome.

-Mary
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Mary,

I think you'll find the taping will be helpful in the long term. We are our own worst critics, aren't we? I recall Siegfried Fischbacher discussing the making of- I believe it was- "The Magic Box". He had to review the footage of the shoot and found himself sliding down, down, down, and, nearly, under his chair Smile as he watched. He was quite uncomfortable. Be sure you're critiquing yourself fairly- consider all factors at play and why it doesn't look quite the way you want it. Awareness is key. I'm sure you'll progress quite well. Smile

I'm working on stuff for the Farmer's Market. Got a lovely black sheep figurine at the Antique Store downtown yesterday, and this morning I awoke with the idea of using Baa Baa Black Sheep for a cups and balls routine. No sleeping after that, had to jump up and write some stuff down. Smile I don't know if it's been done with cups and balls before. I, myself, really cannot see why it wouldn't have been. Smile I think it will be a really nice one and much fun. Gotta get to work. All the best to everyone! Smile

Laurie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes sir, yes sir three cup full!

Thanks for the pep talk Laurie, your timing was great, I'm off to the studio (kitchen) now.

-Mary
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're very welcome, Mary. Three cup full- that's brilliant! Smile

Laurie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sorry, I meant to say cups. Thank you.

-Mary Mowder
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Well, I got Second Place in the Local SAM/IBM Stand-Up Contest by a hair. That's the Second time this year that's happened. I guess I just have to try harder. I had a couple of problems, Music problems (as usual) and a knacky rope flub. Too bad about the Rope thing, it's smooth sailing at home and normal shows.

Good news, NewsFlash was great and I had no trouble tearing the paper (adrenaline is good).

Actually my act went very well, the other guy was just better. He came out of the blue, I guess he's a member of the other club and I'd only seen him do a couple of card effects prior to this. He had a very nice Billiard Ball Manipulation set. I enjoyed his act and several others at the Contest. That's a step up because some of our contests have been very poor. I would rather take 2nd Place in a good Contest than 1st place in a pitiful Contest.

I'll work harder next time because I'd rather take 1st in a good Contest. I really think Contests help improve my act and the others I see compete regularly.

-Mary Mowder
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Mary - well done. Glad to hear News Flash went well. Sounds like you were generally pleased with your performance- that's great. Keep it up!

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ditto, Mary- good on ya'!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I just came across this post, better late than never. I’m having a hard time getting into the grove lately so this is perfect timing for me.

Name:Leland

Effect: I’ve always wanted to add a rope routine to my act. I came across a rope routine by Oscar Munoz, that got me going. I’m only now starting to play with ropes haven’t really decided which way to go.

Time devoted: 15 min (until I get a routine together)

Sessions: 3 times per week

Projected date: Ready for my Halloween shows (Oct)

Wish me luck!
Life of Magic!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Good Luck Leland,

Word of warning though, Rope is addictive and the practice is so fun you'll probably add several Rope Effects in short order.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Hi, Leland!

Welcome to the group! I certainly agree with Mary, and rope is my favorite medium for my magic. Not only do I really enjoy the many things you can do with it, I appreciate the "packs small" aspect as well. For some reason, I get the best audience responses from my rope routines.

The 15 a session is wise. Some commit to too long a practice session and then don't have the energy to follow thru. One thing I know, even 5 minutes REGULAR is the best way to see real progress. Be sure to stop by and discuss your progress, ask questions, etc.!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Ok 15 is to long. I will take your advice and cut back to 5 and work my way up to 15. So far so good. I just have to routine it. I dug out my James Stewart book of rope tricks. Makes for good reading.
Life of Magic!
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Hey All!

Doin lots off stuff to get ready for Hocus Pocus in November. So for my practice session, I am starting to learn The Mint 5 days 15 minutes will probably expand to 30 in a few weeks once I get the basics down.

Pete
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Hey I've been working on my shuttle pass for the Mint and it is getting there. Well time to do another session. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Pete Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2970 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, Pete. You, too.
I'm working on a very simple (relative term, that Smile ) and short piece with 2 cups, 2 balls, and a secret something else. Smile Working on this bit and hope to perform it at the Farmers' Market soon, want to get my sheep up and running, too, and continuing work with the goose, as well, among others. Smile

Laurie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi Peter,

I was wondering if you could post a link to a performance of "The Mint" somewhere. I did a search and saw the pieces but I'd be interested in video of the effect if you've got a link.

Hi Laurie, et al.

I'm starting to gear up for the Holidays so no new Magic for a while. I will have to work on some Seasonal Magic that I don't do in other times of the year. I try to keep my show more Seasonally themed than Holiday oriented.

-Mary Mowder
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I had an opportunity to do my rope magic at a local picnic where I was doing balloons. I know it needs work but I felt that I needed to see the reaction to it. So far so good but not ready for my show yet. Need to keep working it!
Life of Magic!