The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Switchcraft (185 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..35..44..53..62..71~72~73 [Next]
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you Athos, muse, Pier, Stuart, Marc, Chet, dmoses, Iain, Andy, and Cholly, by golly!

I am glad you guys liked Psychologia, and really appreciate your posts and recommendations.

Regarding a hardcover version: I do plan on eventually doing one. From a publishing standpoint, thanks to Lulu, it is fairly simple.

The hard part will be figuring out what to do with all those photos. Printing them in color would make the book ridiculously expensive (something I don’t want,) but I never liked the way black and white photos look in books. I may attempt to draw the photos or figure out if they can be easily converted to drawings via computer. Then, there is the question of Christopher Taylor’s excellent video footage. I really like it. But how do you get video into a printed book? It’s something that will require thought.

In any case, I have no plans to release a printed book until every supplement is out the door, so there is plenty of time to think things over.

Thanks again,

Elliott
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You could always do the printed book, and then include a site address within it to a password protected site that has all the video clips.

Or just use black and white photos, but ramp up the contrast and dabble with the brightness!
I've asked to be banned
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you Iain,

I will look into your ideas.

Elliott
shadowman
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of shadowman
Thanks for the Supplement, and a Happy New Year.

John from the Netherlands.
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
Thanks for the supplement! I enjoyed Psychologia, especially the propless variant.
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Thanks for sending the book out again to me Elliot, I have lost a lot of stuff, very nice of you to help me get something back. What a fantastic body of work this book is.

Thanks again

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3352 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Also this supplement is something of GREAT VALUE!!
This book will make history!
;)
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you John, Gabor, Andy and Luca.

I really appreciate the feedback you left on this thread. Feedback on the boards generates awareness of the book, which is a good thing (at least from my perspective.)

Elliott

PS. Gabor, thanks again for the contributed bank night routine. It is the hidden gem of supplement ten (hey, that almost rhymes.)
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Switchcraft is now also available at:

imentalism.com

Elliott
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-12-31 18:41, ElliottB wrote:

But how do you get video into a printed book? It's something that will require thought.

By the time you stop issuing supplements, the technology will exist.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Paul Spaniels
View Profile
Loyal user
Hull, UK
249 Posts

Profile of Paul Spaniels
This is great, I mean 'really' great, and I understand what all the fuss was about now.
All the things people have said here are spot on.

I expected the moves to be easy (or certainly much easier than the classic switches), but not THAT easy! It made me smile reading that Elliot started this because of his problems with the sleights involved in the classics. I don't mean that in a vindictive way, I just mean it was so nice to know I'm not the only one with little hands that just won't cooperate when trying to pull of certain moves. That problem is now well and truly solved.

In the past I've been eager to try out some great sounding effects, only to discover that they involved billet work, which, depressingly, ruled them out for me there and then. Not any more! I can't tell you how delighted I am that I can do these moves now. Elliot, this is a wonderful book and I thank you not only for writing it but also for making it so affordable AND for throwing in all the extras.
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Again, a must have for anyone doing billet work. And that should be anyone envolved in mentalism.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Chet, I hope you’re right. I definitely look forward to finally revisiting the works-in-progress. My schedule should probably free up a bit (hopefully, not too much Smile) in less than one month.

Paul, I’m happy that the book and supplements exceeded your expectations, and I also very much appreciate your post on this thread. Thank you so much.

Daniel, thank you again for your recommending the books.

Elliott
tangle
View Profile
New user
australia
80 Posts

Profile of tangle
Looks like I'm really gonna have to get this!
can anyone tell me if there is much suited for one on one work?
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Tangle,

The answer is yes. In fact, you can really use this stuff for so many routines for so many different types of audiences. Worth it's weight in Gold for me was Elliott's handling of Looch's Nod to Pocket Watch. Sheer genius!

I have to admit that I wasn't much of a billet man before. However, this ebook completely changed my view. I will also add my voice to the many, Elliott's after sales service is second to none.

My advice, just get it. This is one purchase you certainly won't regret.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have to concur. Every so often I get an unexpected email from Elliott, and when I open it, there is another installment of the eBook. Who does that? Nobody but Elliott, as far as I can tell.

Tangle, think of this as a toolkit, not a book of tricks. In your toolbox at home you probably have a hammer. can the hammer be used to drive nails into plywood? Yes. Sheetrock? Yes. Particle board? Yes. What if I want to nail boards together to make a birdhouse? Can I use the hammer for that? Yes. But what if I want to screw the boards together rather than nail them? Well, then I would put the hammer away and take out the screwdriver.

This is kind of how I see Switchcraft. There are different tools for different applications, and virtually all of those applications can be used in a variety of performing situations.

I hope that made sense...

Anyway, just buy it. You won't regret it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 04:36, Mark Roberts wrote:
Tangle,

The answer is yes. In fact, you can really use this stuff for so many routines for so many different types of audiences. Worth it's weight in Gold for me was Elliott's handling of Looch's Nod to Pocket Watch. Sheer genius!

I have to admit that I wasn't much of a billet man before. However, this ebook completely changed my view. I will also add my voice to the many, Elliott's after sales service is second to none.

My advice, just get it. This is one purchase you certainly won't regret.

Thank you so much, Mark. I am glad you liked Perfect Prediction. It’s one of my favorites from the series.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 15:25, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
I have to concur. Every so often I get an unexpected email from Elliott, and when I open it, there is another installment of the eBook. Who does that? Nobody but Elliott, as far as I can tell.

Tangle, think of this as a toolkit, not a book of tricks. In your toolbox at home you probably have a hammer. can the hammer be used to drive nails into plywood? Yes. Sheetrock? Yes. Particle board? Yes. What if I want to nail boards together to make a birdhouse? Can I use the hammer for that? Yes. But what if I want to screw the boards together rather than nail them? Well, then I would put the hammer away and take out the screwdriver.

This is kind of how I see Switchcraft. There are different tools for different applications, and virtually all of those applications can be used in a variety of performing situations.

I hope that made sense...

Anyway, just buy it. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the kind words, Scott. I am a fan of your work.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3254 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2009-04-04 02:02, tangle wrote:
Looks like I'm really gonna have to get this!
can anyone tell me if there is much suited for one on one work?

Tangle, I saw that you picked up the set.

You’re in luck, because, with a few exceptions, most of the material in the series is suitable for one-on-one work.

Thanks again,

Elliott
tangle
View Profile
New user
australia
80 Posts

Profile of tangle
Mark, Scott, thanks for the encouragement!
wow this book rocks, I'm loving it and excited about using some of these soonish.
much of this is fairly easy, though I'm finding my coin background is leading to
a 'watch me smoothly do absolutely nothing with this card' type body language!
thanks Elliot.